May 2016 Moms

Baby Gear Recommendation Thread

Re: Baby Gear Recommendation Thread

• js8812 said:
    Exersaucer type activity center.  Yea or Nay?

Depends.  DS was never super into his, until he was a little older (like, had almost outgrown it) then he decided it was awesome.  My niece, however, loves hers, as does the son of a friend of ours.  I feel like it's one of those things you never know because it totally depends on the baby's personality.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• js8812 said:
    For us it was a nay. Most of them are not very friendly to developing baby legs and hips, and are just too large for my taste. DS had the Lion Fisher-price walker/push toy that he could sit in front of and play with and could pull himself up on and walk with. We also used our coffee table as an activity table often because DS pulled up pretty early and he would cruise around it and play with different toys and books that we'd put there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was leaning toward not getting one.  I hate clutter and storing a bunch of stuff. Thanks!!
  • @missnc77 yep. Pumping definitely made me feel like a cow. However, that bra (the simple wishes one) is fantastic for holding everything in place while pumping!
  • Do you guys get an extra mattress for the PNP? The ones I've looked at seem so thin and hard but then there are big warnings written on the PNP saying that using other mattresses can be a hazard. 
  • gampster said:
    Do you guys get an extra mattress for the PNP? The ones I've looked at seem so thin and hard but then there are big warnings written on the PNP saying that using other mattresses can be a hazard. 
    I used the one it came with-- infant mattresses really should be very firm for safety. 
  • Has anyone used the K'tan Breeze? I loved the K'tan while DS was 0-4mo (I used a mai tai style after that), but my only complaint is that it could get sort of hot over the summer unless both of us were dressed very lightly. The Breeze is supposed to be cooler, but I'm just not sure about the fabric. It looks slippery to me which seems less secure. I'd love to hear if anyone has first has experience with it!
  • js8812 said:

We got DD one like this and it was perfect! I think we started her in it around 5-6 months? It was great for when I was getting ready in the morning and DH was in the shower, and (nerd alert) I loved that it has a book so she could start learning to turn the pages early!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12338150?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000157274&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40331518832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=56955337865&veh=sem

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Diaper pail dilemma... I know several of you have said you don't use one, but for those who do use a diaper bin or who plan to, I have heard good things about the Ubbi pail (esp. that you don't need special bags for it) but it costs ~$80. Seems like a lot! I've also heard bad things about the Diaper Genie. Would love to get opinions on both and alternatives.
  • @babyfmama we had an Ubbi for the first year. It worked well, the only issue was that once when we didn't change the bag quickly enough and the circular handle that holds the bag up broke off because it was too heavy. It was basically useless without the handle holding the bag up. We replaced it with the Diaper Dekkor and I feel like they're equally good. The best benefit of the Dekkor over the Ubbi is you can throw a diaper away using the foot mechanism to lift the lid, the Ubbi required a free-ish hand to slide open. 
  • @Bltbear82 thanks! does the dekkor require special bags or can I use any plastic bag?

• babyfmama said:
    Diaper pail dilemma... I know several of you have said you don't use one, but for those who do use a diaper bin or who plan to, I have heard good things about the Ubbi pail (esp. that you don't need special bags for it) but it costs ~$80. Seems like a lot! I've also heard bad things about the Diaper Genie. Would love to get opinions on both and alternatives.
    FTM getting the ubbi. I chose it because it's metal not plastic so won't absorb odours and you can use any bags you want. I hadn't heard about the issue from poster above and that thing breaking. In terms of cost I figure it'll be getting a lot of use so it's probably worth it. And if I really hate it it'll go into our ensuite bathroom as a regular bin instead! 
  • @babyfmama, it does require the special bags which is admittedly kind of annoying. I think we might get an Ubbi for this baby because it worked really well for the first year and I don't want to buy special bags for 2 diaper pails. 
  • @babyfmama I can't help with input on Ubbi vs Diaper Genie, but if you're open to other brands, we have been using the Munchkin diaper pail for nearly 2 years and it has been awesome. 
  • arj14arj14 member
    @babyfmama FTM here, but the Dekkor is the one I registered for.  The foot mechanism was a big selling point for me, but if getting special bags gets too annoying we'll probably look into a different one.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kbrands7 said:
    Has anyone used the K'tan Breeze? I loved the K'tan while DS was 0-4mo (I used a mai tai style after that), but my only complaint is that it could get sort of hot over the summer unless both of us were dressed very lightly. The Breeze is supposed to be cooler, but I'm just not sure about the fabric. It looks slippery to me which seems less secure. I'd love to hear if anyone has first has experience with it!
    Wanting to buy this one too, as it's always hot where I live, so the breezier, the better...   No idea if it's slippery fabric... I hope not?!

• @amscape  I purchased the urbini Avi jogging stroller. I'm a FTM but just playing around with it has me in love already!
  • folamijfolamij member
    edited March 2016
    @Kennedy0830
    Mine is a storkcraft. So comfortable, yet inexpensive! 
  • this might be a really stupid question but... am I supposed to pre-wash my boppy pillow? I would think yes but then it seems like it could get ruined/misshapen in the washer/dryer.
  • Potentially silly questions..
    We're planning on having baby sleep in the Pack n Play bassinet for the first few months.
    I'm on Amazon and keep seeing PnP mattresses, sheets, blankets, etc. for sale.
    Does the PnP come with a mattress that can be used in the bassinet? I was under the impression that it does...and should I buy a special fitted sheet for it? Or would a regular crib sheet fit? Or something else?
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited March 2016
    @Pylwhammy the PNP does come with a matress; some people add a 3" mattress, but it's really not necessary and can make the bassinet too shallow. There are separate sheets though-- since the PNP mat is very thin, most regular crib sheets won't give a nice, tight fit. 
  • PYLWhammy said:
    Potentially silly questions..
    We're planning on having baby sleep in the Pack n Play bassinet for the first few months.
    I'm on Amazon and keep seeing PnP mattresses, sheets, blankets, etc. for sale.
    Does the PnP come with a mattress that can be used in the bassinet? I was under the impression that it does...and should I buy a special fitted sheet for it? Or would a regular crib sheet fit? Or something else?
    From what I can tell, at least on the one we registered for, the bottom is more like a pad than an actual mattress. But it looks like it would be more than sufficient for naps and such. We also registered for some sheets for the pack n play, but mostly bc we found some quilted ones that will add a little extra padding and have a waterproof layer... that way we can just remove the sheet if there happens to be any accidents.
  • @kbrands7 @dsmith211 thanks for the responses! I'll look for some PnP sheets then :smile: 
  • @PYLWhammy, we're doing the same thing and I'm super confused about the mattress too. Someone told me that putting a mattress in the pack and play increases the risk of SIDS? But the bottom seems really thin. Can someone tell me what sheets/waterproof barrier they picked for their pnp?
  • We have an issue with our landlord giving us consistent heat, so being able to monitor the temps in the nursery is really important to us. I found this monitor with a temp gauge that will alert you if it's too cold or hot. Wondering if anyone has experience with this model, or suggestions for another that has a temp monitor??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1CIGAE

cat fail animated GIF

• lbachran said:
    @PYLWhammy, we're doing the same thing and I'm super confused about the mattress too. Someone told me that putting a mattress in the pack and play increases the risk of SIDS? But the bottom seems really thin. Can someone tell me what sheets/waterproof barrier they picked for their pnp?
    I registered for this particular sheet:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=41674166&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

It's quilted so it adds just a little bit of extra padding and has a waterproof layer built in.
  • Regarding heat... I am super hot-natured and have the heat on as little as possible during the winter (DH has adapted to my ways :D ). In going into the nursery a few times throughout this past winter, I noticed it was freezing in there, definitely colder than the other bedrooms. I think it may be due to the window placement, and the fact that the room has 2 outside walls, but none of the other bedrooms in our house do. I have a feeling that turning the heat up to make sure the nursery is a warm temp may make the rest of the house sweltering.

So, okay, yes, I know I am likely going to have to turn the heat up for the baby, but is there an alternative and safe heating solution? Is using a space heater an option?
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• @bshurdy space heaters are fine as long as you supervise their use.. In other words, don't leave them on when you are sleeping or out of the house. It's fine to leave them running for awhile to heat the room before bedtime, but they need to be turned off then.
    Also I'd check the insulation, maybe there's cold air leaking through the windows. And this might sound obvious, but is heat even coming in the room at all? (The radiator in our nursery doesn't blow any air into the room so we need to get that fixed in the very near future!)
  • If you go with a separate space heater find one with a thermostat you can set. Having the babies room to hot is as bad as too cold. I've used one on both of my kids nursery once they started sleeping there all night. No use heating up the rest of the house for just one room. We used an older version of the one below. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TTV2QS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_10o9wbNKYD848
  • jagellerjageller member
    edited March 2016
  • Any feedback on Mamaroo's? I know they are pricey but I'm wanting to spare some space by not having to get a swing and a rock and play. Didn't know if anyone had one and liked it and had their LO nap in it? We have a pack and play with the bassinet on top already for our bedroom, but thinking of living room nap options (we have a godforsaken two-story).
    Hi - you might want to check on craigslist. I don't know where you live, but in nyc at least, I've noticed a ton of things like mamaroos, halo bassinets, stroller bassinetss, etc (ie, things that some kids don't take to/are outgrown in 2 mos) in like-new condition for less than half the price. We bought our uppababy bassinet and stand from CL and that's where I'm also planning to look for rock n plays/swings, etc., in case mine is the kid who hates her bassinet! As far as if they're worth it, as a ftm I can't say personally, though I do have super-sweet pics of my then-newborn, collicky niece peacefully sleeping in hers at 5 weeks.
  • yogahh said:
    We have an issue with our landlord giving us consistent heat, so being able to monitor the temps in the nursery is really important to us. I found this monitor with a temp gauge that will alert you if it's too cold or hot. Wondering if anyone has experience with this model, or suggestions for another that has a temp monitor??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1CIGAE
    Lurker from June.  

We we have a Motorolla video monitor ( the cheaper one that doesn't have cameras you can control from the monitor) and it has the temperature in the nursery displayed on the screen.  I think all of the Motorolla ones do that. We've had the monitor for almost 4 years and just bought a new camera to add to it to use in the new baby's room.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Ok so while we're on the topic of monitors, I would love some help. I'm pretty sure we haven't had this conversation yet. 

I I was originally going to get the angel care monitor with sound video and movement mat. I've decided to scrap the movement mat because I don't think I'm going to be paranoid enough to need it and false alarms will drive me nuts.

so my question is...video, sound or both? Does anyone have monitors they love? I don't really want to spend $200 on something if I can avoid it 
  • I've had two Motorolla monitors and love them both. I vote video - it's really helpful once they're a little more mobile and having a sleep regression or learning to self soothe. Also DS made a lot of noise in his sleep when he was younger, so it was helpful to know if he was truly awake or just making noise before going in the nursery. Plus as PP posted they have the temperature on the monitor so you can be sure the room isn't too cold or hot. 
  • @jageller, I definitely agree with the pp who stated to look on Craigslist for a mamaroo. We purchased our mamroo for $75 and $50 for the FP SnugaBunny swing.  These items are both incredibly easy to clean so as long as the motor is in good condition, you can make everything brand new with a little work. I even found my Dutalier glider for $60 on Craigslist as well. We paid an upholstery cleaning company to treat tge cushions and cleared up a few scratches with a wax pen. Everything looks new!
  • We just got a video monitor. I wish we had one sooner for DS because it can be really helpful at nap time. When they're little it's not as necessary but since we will be rooming the kids together I want to make sure DS1 isn't adding toys or blankets to the crib. I tried this one out the other day and I'm happy with it for the price and features: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007M8DTSI/ref=sr_ph_1_a_it?qid=1459082578&sr=sr-1&keywords=video+baby+monitor

• babyfmama said:
    this might be a really stupid question but... am I supposed to pre-wash my boppy pillow? I would think yes but then it seems like it could get ruined/misshapen in the washer/dryer.
    My bobbys (I got the breast feeding pillow and the pad for baby to lay on) has instructions on how to wash it and the instructions directly address how to make sure it doesn't get misshapen.
  • So...glider/rocker recommendations anyone? I imagine I'll be using it the most, but DH will use it sometimes, and he's a big guy (tall, big frame). Don't want him to be uncomfortable. Thoughts?