September 2015 Moms

Giving it a Shot

I posted a while ago about the issue I'm having with my ILs. Tonight we're going to their house for dinner. We've asked them to turn the thermostat down before we get there so it isn't boiling. They've gotten a second hand bouncer for him to sit in that they've supposedly cleaned (not sure if it'll pass my FTM-germophobe inspection so we'll see, I may bring our bouncer as a back up). And I'm trying not to dread it too much. It's been so hard to have a good time around them lately and I know I'm the problem with that. It just hasn't sat well with me how little they've done for their grandson. But anyway, wish me luck! Hopefully DS doesn't scream and cry the whole time we're there like he's been doing for the past few months!

Re: Giving it a Shot

• Thank you. He's still crying when MIL holds him. He heard FIL talking in the next room and lost it. I just don't know what to tell them. MIL said to him "you better get over this before you turn 1 or 2" and she told me she's so upset about him always crying when he sees her that she told her psychiatrist about it. Like, she's holding it against my infant!? She even asked if I was talking bad about them to him when we're at home. She won't listen to me when I tell her it's just a developmental thing and he'll eventually stop it. I'm at a loss at this point. I've run out of things to try.
  • Loading the player...
  • ^YESSSSS THIS!!

Keep doing what your doing - trying to support a relationship between your child and his grandparents. If she starts talking loco, remind her that he is a BABY, development, etc, etc. BUT in the end - you can't control her reactions and likely won't have great success, but you can control how much energy you give it/it upsets you. It is totally bonkers for her to be soooooo upset (I get being bummed, but in such a major way?! Crazy!), so shrug it off and don't bother trying to fix it - you won't win. If she goes on and on - you could literally just change the subject or get up and leave the room. Her inability to reason is so not your problem. You already have one baby to take care of ;) 
  • LOL @MW5280 you have me cracking up!! 

Your MIL sounds crazy like mine. I wonder why her psychiatrist didn't tell her to chill out. Hopefully you can tune her out and just make it through the times you have to deal with her. I try to tell myself that I don't have to see my ILs very often, so I just have to deal with it for a few hours when I do see them, because I know I need to for my son. Doesn't mean it's easy haha. Hope they get better!!
  • @MW5280 you're so right! I mean, I totally understand her being upset that he cries anytime she's around, but there are only so many times I can try to explain to her that it's a developmental thing that will eventually pass. She seems to think the solution is to see him more often. I disagree. Mostly because I hate seeing how upset he gets around them. 

@bnwillia3 I have been putting a lot of thought and effort into this. The only family I have is my mom and it's very tough on us. Growing up I was pretty close to my grandparents and I have some very fond memories of them. I want that for my LO. It kills me that she seems to be holding it against him that he's going through this. I have to reassure her every time that it's not personal. I'm definitely to the point that if she doesn't understand that by now then maybe she shouldn't see him for a while so she doesn't get so upset. There's no telling when this phase will pass and I really can't hold my tongue much longer while she "blames" my child for something he can't control. 

@aw8611 oh, she is. There's definitely a reason she sees a psychiatrist. She's usually sweet, just a little over the top. I think she has good intentions, thankfully. I'm also wondering why her doctor didn't explain stranger anxiety to her?? And my ILs live literally 10 minutes away. They try to see us at least once a week. I've seen them twice this week. MIL is convinced I hate her because I don't want to go over to their house and watch them hold my screaming baby while they try to soothe him. I have to reach over and take him from them, then go into another room and calm him down. Of course I want to minimize that as much as I can!! I don't like seeing him upset!
  • Am I remembering correctly that you usually go to their home and they don't come to yours?

If that's the case, then I think it would help if your little guy was in his own, familiar space when he sees her. It might help? 

Goid luck!
  • Well I'm glad you went over so she can see you are making an effort (though it sounds like she's the type of person who won't even recognize that). I'm sorry it's going like this! I totally get her being disappointed but her reaction is way over the top for a little baby! I think you're doing the best you can dealing with her. Good luck :) It's so much harder with in-laws once you have kids because you want to make it all work out for them. And it usually means you putting up with some crazy. Ugh. 
  • @MW5280 you're correct. It's always so hard to get her out of her house. They have come over here several times though. I think we've officially tried everything with them. We even tried having them talk to him while I hold him and after showing him it was okay letting her hold him and he still cried. The whole time she talked (and made her weird clicking noises) to him he didn't even smile. He just stared at her and kept looking up at me like "mom, wtf is she doing" (and I would smile at him to try and reassure him that it was okay). Nope. He was NOT amused. Which is so weird for him! Usually he's all smiles and giggles. 

@yellowbean15 I'm definitely learning to deal with the crazy! It's been such a process lol I'm trying so hard to make an effort. I doubt she'll even notice, but maybe she will?? I feel like we were closer before I had LO and I'm not really sure what happened. She just says and does stuff with him that bothers me. That's probably what started it. 
  • @BrittnieMariee the clicking noise-hahahaha. My mil was doing this the other day and my little girl was freaking out. Evey time my mil would look at her, she would scream bloody murder. My mil tried to make it better by making clicking noises. Uh, OK. I don't do well with crazy, so I commend you on your efforts.  
  • @mwertalik I will never understand the clicking noise! She does it all the time and it doesn't seem as if he likes it. I'm not sure how to tell her that. For now I'll just let her do it and maybe she'll stop or he'll let her know ;)  I guess I'm used to the crazy lol