September 2016 Moms

Traveling and the airport

In about 2 weeks I have to travel for work.  I'll be 11 weeks by then, so not huge and obviously pregnant.  What is the procedure for the airport xray machines?  Are they safe or should I request a pat down?  I know several of you have traveled already so any advice you have would be great.

Thanks!

Re: Traveling and the airport

• You can request a pat down, but from what i've heard, there aren't any risks with those machines.
  • AlyeenaAlyeena member
    edited February 2016
    Request a pat down. X-rays are an unnecessary risk during pregnancy and should be avoided. Especially for something as trivial as traveling when you have another, better option.

I would also add that, anyone, pregnant or not can request a pat-down and not have to use the x-ray.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• Loading the player...
  • I'm flying today and plan to ask for a pat down. Not worth the risk no matter how small. With all the germs on the plane and airport, I prefer to minimize as much risk as possible.
  • My OB said they're fine during my last pregnancy. You can opt for a pat down if you want. 

• I asked my OB about this last time I was pregnant. There are really no studies that determine how safe the machines are for travel. It really comes down to personal preference. X-Ray exposure is cumulative and the airport machines let out a pretty low amount. If you don't fly often, it's fine to use the machines. 

• So glad you asked this --- it didn't even occur to me, and I'll be traveling this weekend. I'm going to double check with my doctor but will likely request a pat down regardless of what they recommend. 
  • @ElcaB - I think I will too.  I don't travel often but will be flying once in March and once in April.  That's just a lot of unnecessary radiation, even if the exposure is low.  Better safe than sorry.  

Thanks for your input mama's!
  • I always opt-out of the scanners just as an added level of safety. Make sure you allow extra time if you decide to opt-out!!!  I flew to Miami a couple weeks ago and it was over 30 minutes waiting for a female TSA agent to do the pat down. Thankfully our flight had been cancelled so we had a couple hours, otherwise we would have missed our flight. 
  • I love science and am pretty fascinated by the body scan machines. I flew last pregnancy around 22 weeks and opted to go through the scanners feeling as though I was informed enough to feel ok with that decision. If in doubt, opt out!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are flying to Florida in a couple of weeks. I'll be about 14 weeks by then. I'm just going to ask for the pat down. Hopefully it won't take too long and I'll still have time to get the Cinnabon I've been craving! Priorities haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Last time I was pregnant I opted for the pat down instead. I will do this again if I travel during this pregnancy. They do make sure you have a female and pre-waring: they basically feel you up in the most professional way possible. They asked me if I wanted to go to a private room, I was like ehh I'm ok. Definitely would not do that in front of everyone again lol
  • I just flew and went through. I read once that you are exposed to more radiation stepping onto the plain than going through that machine. Also, it's not actually an X-ray system from what I've read. I felt comfortable going through at 8 weeks. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • When I was 13 weeks, I went to Hawaii from Loa Angeles. I told the TSA at LAX that I was pregnant and I just had to go through the metal detectors. When I was coming back from HI, they made me go through the X-ray. Then they congratulated me after. Jerks.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • fioripfiorip member
    edited February 2016
    You can always request a pat down, they can't deny you a pat down by law but body scanners don't actually work with x rays. They do use radiation but not anymore than a wi fi router or your cell phone. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• I'm travelling next week alone with my 3 year old. Because I pack juice, I always get a pat down. But the xray wouldn't bother me. The stuff I get exposed to everyday just walking down the street seems like it would do more harm than once through an airport security machine
    Trying to Conceive Ticker

• I have flown to Chicago and New Orleans since I found out I was pregnant. I asked a TSA lady about the safety of the machine and she said it emits about as much radiation as a cell phone does. I went through the machine, but I am scared of my cell phone! I am now hyper aware of trying to keep my phone away from my stomach!