Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Help!! 3 week old won't sleep...

My 3 week old is got a little congestion nothing major but she will not sleep unless I hold her, she is EBF and sleeps in a bassinet for 3-5 hours in between feedings no problem but since her congestion started she will not sleep anywhere but my arms she will be out like a light and about 2 minutes after I lay her down she's wide awake and then starts to scream! Is it normal? Will it go back to normal once she feels better? 

Re: Help!! 3 week old won't sleep...

• I'm sure it'll go back to normal once she's feeling better. You could try to elevate the mattress at a slight angle so her head is up higher than her feet (not sure if this is possible in bassinets?). It could help her breathe better. You could also try saline drops to help with the congestion although I'm not sure if they are okay for 3 week old babies. 
  • Im dealing with the same thing! DD is 4 weeks old and has been pretty congested since she was born but this week its seemed to bother her more. She won't sleep during the day at all, yesterday she napped for maybe half an hour the entire day! Like you I'm hoping once the congestion clears up she'll start to sleep better, good luck mama! 
  • Loading the player...
  • DD used to be like this. She would wake up crying because she couldn't breathe well. I had to keep her awake longer to suction out all the boogers in her nose and since I was doing that already I'd give her a diaper change if needed and rock her back to sleep. She won't wake for awhile after I have done all this. My DD just absolutely hates stuffy noses. 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm sure it'll go back to normal once she's feeling better. You could try to elevate the mattress at a slight angle so her head is up higher than her feet (not sure if this is possible in bassinets?). It could help her breathe better. You could also try saline drops to help with the congestion although I'm not sure if they are okay for 3 week old babies. 

This. Don't panic OP, this will happen a lot in the future so try to roll with it. My 16 month old has been doing this lately because she's sick. It never ends! ;)
  • Three weeks also marks a growth spurt, and those can really affect sleep patterns and make you feel insane.  It'll pass soon but hugs in the meantime!