November 2015 Moms

Your Go-To Games/Toys

edited February 2016 in November 2015 Moms
I realize every baby is different, and what one loves, another may hate. BUT, I'm starting to go a bit crazy looking for ways to keep my baby (and myself) occupied all day. He's not a fan of the car or the stroller unless he's asleep, so I can really only leave the house when he's on the verge of naptime. I mean, I can go at other times, but I have to subject myself to crying, and I make my baby pretty unhappy. We're in Chicago, so the weather isn't awesome for outside anyway. He has a skip-and-hop activity mat that he likes most of the time, and it gets us 5-20 minutes of play a few times every day. He'll sit in his bouncy chair while I fold laundry or cook...for a little while. He has about 10 minutes max on that, too. Sometimes he just likes to lay on the floor and kick his legs and "dance." ....And that's about it. He can grab objects and hold them if they're the right size, but he doesn't understand how to shake them. Thus, rattles and stuff don't really interest him. He tries to put stuff in his mouth, but he's not into that enough that he'll sit and chew on things for hours at a time (also, he doesn't like anything designed to be chewed on, like teethers). So I spend a lot of time just carrying him (face out; face-in and he cries). Dance parties. That sort of thing. However, he takes 30 minute naps, which makes for A LOT of awake time. And he weighs about 15 pounds, so carrying him all the time is killing my back. He doesn't like to be still, so holding him on my lap or putting him next to me or whatever is pointless. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with him. He's on the verge of jumperoos, etc., but his head control isn't awesome yet. What are your baby's go-to toys and games? How do you entertain them during their awake time? 

TL; DR: I need ways to entertain my antsy baby all day long!

Also, I'm so sorry if this has been discussed a million times. I didn't see it at first glance, my searching sucks, and I have toooootal mom brain.

Re: Your Go-To Games/Toys

• My little man likes things that light up. So he loves his baby Einstein musical toy (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YDDF6O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_AP1Zwb63GFC39)and scout from leapfrog. 
    He also likes the stuffed animals that make rattling sounds and have different fabrics (his favorite is the infantino activity elephant)

He also enjoys playing GarageBand on our iPad 
  • He's entertained a decent amount of time with the kick and play piano and this one rattle from walmart (see link), the shape of the handle makes it easy for him grip and that makes him shake it even if he's not trying to. if all elese fails, he likes watching dumbo. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bright-Starts-Rattle-Shake-Barbell/15769601#about
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried wearing baby?  If done correctly it should not hurt your back (assuming you don't have other back issues). I just wear them and do what I need to for the day and it keeps baby entertained, also great for napping. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Right now my LO loves laying on the quilt my sister made him, he will do that for so long! And to entertain him I make faces or shake one of his stuffed animals in his face. He can grab the ears of his stuffed dog which is finds fascinating. The other thing I do is sit in the recliner with my knees up and place him with his back on my knees facing me, then we play with his absolute favorite "toy" my MSU scarf! I place it over our heads and make a fort, I just let it drape on him or flybot around as he watches, then I can let him just play with it in his hands and if he gets restless I can move my knees back/forth which he likes.  

Also not sure where in Chicago you are and maybe you already know this but I used to live there and I worked at the Children's Museum at Navy Pier which is an awesome place for LO's. There are specific rooms for kids under 2 and I believe they still have a free night on Thursday's from 5pm to 8pm, it gets a little hectic but it might be worth checking out on free night before paying for entrance.
  • Basically all of our go to games are a bit labor intensive on mommy, haha. He loves standing up and wiggling around/making him dance. Bouncing. He finds what we call baby sit-ups hilarious, basically laying him on the couch and pulling him up to sitting, then "crashing" back into the couch (all gently of course) with sound effects. Flying around and looking out windows. Honestly, interactive play with me is the only thing that holds his attention for long. 

He does enjoy to chew on his Kiki the elephant (essentially the same as Sophie the giraffe) while I cook dinner. And he has an exersaucer bouncer thing that he enjoys playing in, however I HAVE to watch him play. If I try and get something done or even just don't look at him for long enough while he is sitting in it he loses it. 
  • Anything that lights up. We have that baby Einstein musical toy, the fisher price piano mat and the fisher price jumperoo. I just got the vtech little critters spinner to put in LO's Easter basket. It lights up and plays music/sounds and has a suction cup on the bottom for the high hair or going out to eat. I also want to get LO scout 
  • Jane is 16 weeks. Her favorite game is talk to mommy, but she also likes:
    - the lights and sounds that go when she hits the dangling toys on her bouncy seat.
    - suction cup toys (flashing and non-flashing) on her Bumbo
    - watching TV, especially cartoons or anything with bright, contrasting colors
    - staring endlessly at the guitar on the wall

She is starting to get much better at grabbing, so I'm hoping more self-entertainment is soon to follow!

• I second the Baby Einstein musical toy and the Fisher Price kick and play piano. I, too, will sit LO in the bouncy for a bit while I do things around the house. We also have the SkipHop alphabet zoo activity mat and a plush elephant play mat for tummy time. I like to sit LO in the boppy lounger at an incline on the side of the couch for us to play also. Other faves: Bright Starts bouncer (includes arch w dangly toys to play with), Mozart musical cube, VTech beep and go keys (has a car w keys and the car lights up and talks and plays music). He also loves to just spend time w me helping him to pull into a sitting position and standing position. 
  • I got "start with a blanket" for my Kindle and there are some good, age appropriate ideas in there for making your own simple toys and activities.  I put some crumpled papers in a paper shopping bag and set it up for her to kick around.  She was delighted to make crunchy noises with her feet!

But let's see...  I try to do a good 20-30 total minutes of tummy time (spread out over the day), she sits in her bouncer and chews on her hands while I cook/eat/do dishes, lays on the guest bed and coos at the ceiling while I fold laundry, sometimes we sit and just have a cooing conversation there if my arms are tired from holding her.  She also has an activity mat but she doesn't really engage it much, I mostly put her there when I need to pee (I can see it from the bathroom) or I need 5 minutes to make a phone call.  Mostly I carry her around on my shoulder or in a carrier and talk about whatever, the weather or what I'm making for dinner or stuff I hope to do with her when she's older.  My feed tracking app says we spend about 2 hours total per day nursing, and she takes 3-5 naps of about 30-60 minutes each, so those take up a big chunk of the day, too.
  • DD is the same. We have the bunny taggies blanket which she loves, and as you said the bouncer works for maybe 10 minutes. We sign or sing frequently which keeps her attention. It was crazy because yesterday my mom in law came to watch her throughout the day and I swear she was able to change activities every 10 minutes, bless her. I just don't have that kind of patience. Mickey Mouse club house buys me a good 10 minutes too. Also the baby Einstein aquarium has affectionately been renamed the 'snooze button'.
  • DD loves her activity mat (sea themed and converts to a ball pit when she's older). She will play under there for 40min+. At day care they have this hanging giraffe (Lamaze brand) and she loves it so I just bought her one. She also enjoys her bouncer seat that vibrates and is starting to use the sit-me-up assisted seat. I also baby wear and push her in the stroller in the house. She lovessss reading books. We prop her in the boppy and read several books to her before she gets bored. 

Have you tried a swing since your LO likes to move around so much?
  • You have just described my LO to the T! And pretty much everything you do as well. One activity that buys me 10 mins is flash cards with letters, 1-10, shapes and colors. They're in English and Spanish and accompanied by a pic of an animal that starts with that letter. I say them with funny sounds to get his attention. If he's in a good mood he cracks up as well. Also my LO is not a fan of the new swing we bought him. Lol

• DS loves any soft toy with that crinkly material inside. He gets the biggest kick out of holding onto something and listening to the noise when he moves it. We have one with the little tags all around and he loves to grab those too. Or the plush books with pages that have the crinkly stuff inside. Keeps him occupied for quite awhile in his bouncer or on the play mat!
  • When our lo gets restless we put her in the carrier and walk around pointing things out to her. The weather has been hit or miss around here, she's definitely loves going outside so it sucks when it's cold. My husband is home with her during the day and he spends a lot of time making silly noises or making up songs. That keeps her entertained for a while. We have a pretty big salt water fish tank and she will sit in front of that in her bouncy chair for upwards of an hour (if she's in a good mood to begin with) watching the fish swim around. She also loves watching her reflection, we don't have too many kid safe mirrors, but my husband says when he turns the selfie camera on her she's enthralled for a long time!
  • My baby is 16 weeks old today and this past week we've introduced him to the jumperoo. He's still a little bit like a bobble head from time to time, but try putting him in with a towel packed down in front of him so he doesn't face plant and a pillow under his feet if he can't touch the floor yet. My baby's loving it!
  • When our lo gets restless we put her in the carrier and walk around pointing things out to her. The weather has been hit or miss around here, she's definitely loves going outside so it sucks when it's cold. My husband is home with her during the day and he spends a lot of time making silly noises or making up songs. That keeps her entertained for a while. We have a pretty big salt water fish tank and she will sit in front of that in her bouncy chair for upwards of an hour (if she's in a good mood to begin with) watching the fish swim around. She also loves watching her reflection, we don't have too many kid safe mirrors, but my husband says when he turns the selfie camera on her she's enthralled for a long time!
    I also like to take videos of LO w the front facing camera on the iPhone, so he can watch himself while I take the video. Then, we watch them back, and he is just captivated! I don't believe in too much screen time at this age (phone, tablet, TV), but I think in small doses it's fine and can be a lifesaver! 
  • Thanks, everyone. This is super helpful. I went to Target yesterday and got that Baby Einstein musical toy, and LO isn't really into it. I think he will in a week or two, but right now he doesn't seem to care about it. Oh well. I also picked up a swing last night, and he's currently asleep in it. So a win on that front! I also got out a floaty scarf yesterday and he was pretty into that. I'll look into the Children's Museum. I live all the way by O'Hare, so we'd have to go when he was in a good car mood (I've yet to take him on the El). But it might work. If nothing else, it will be something to do over the summer. I'm glad to know so many of you are doing similar things or in the same boat. 
  • Thanks, everyone. This is super helpful. I went to Target yesterday and got that Baby Einstein musical toy, and LO isn't really into it. I think he will in a week or two, but right now he doesn't seem to care about it. Oh well. I also picked up a swing last night, and he's currently asleep in it. So a win on that front! I also got out a floaty scarf yesterday and he was pretty into that. I'll look into the Children's Museum. I live all the way by O'Hare, so we'd have to go when he was in a good car mood (I've yet to take him on the El). But it might work. If nothing else, it will be something to do over the summer. I'm glad to know so many of you are doing similar things or in the same boat. 
    If you feel up to it I would maybe take your LO on the El, when I lived in Chicago I also nannied for a little boy who was 3 months old and he absolutely LOVED the El. I think it was the motion and all the new sounds!
  • My LO has really been into this toy the past couple of days. My DD pulled it out for little to "play" with and he loves it. He is obviously too little to operate it but he lights up every time he hears the "old McDonald had a farm" song.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NHPGW8Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1456871815&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=see+n+say+the+farmer+says&dpPl=1&dpID=51HOeppxajL&ref=plSrch
  • My LO loves anything by Oball! They are easy for babies to hold onto! 

This is one has a rattle but there are also ones without. 

https://m.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=19492296
  • Ceb2015 said:
    My LO loves anything by Oball! They are easy for babies to hold onto! 

This is one has a rattle but there are also ones without. 

https://m.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=19492296
    My lo loves the oball car!
  • poupoulepoupoule member
    edited March 2016
    Ok so last week end Ariane understood the jumperoo for real. She is now jumping like crazy (everything rattles-thank god that thing is solid) and she stays in it for really long period of time. In almost a week now she just wants to stand. And she stands perfect without us holding her under her arms, she just needs help for balance. 
    But seriously i cant sit her on my lap or anywhere she just stretches until we put her standing and then she smiles and laughs a ton.

Anyone experienced that with their child ? Is it a phase or will she walk before sitting lol it is quite amazing.... (She is now in 12mo old clothes by the way....4 month Monday !)

• poupoule said:
    Ok so last week end Ariane understood the jumperoo for real. She is now jumping like crazy (everything rattles-thank god that thing is solid) and she stays in it for really long period of time. In almost a week now she just wants to stand. And she stands perfect without us holding her under her arms, she just needs help for balance. 
    But seriously i cant sit her on my lap or anywhere she just stretches until we put her standing and then she smiles and laughs a ton.

Anyone experienced that with their child ? Is it a phase or will she walk before sitting lol it is quite amazing.... (She is now in 12mo old clothes by the way....4 month Monday !)

It's a new skill that she enjoys.  Lol.  Your child will eventually sit.  Bridget rolled over constantly for a few days and then went on a roll over strike while she was getting better at grabbing for things.  Then she realized that she could roll to get closer to things she wants to grab.  Now she's "dancing" and "sitting" instead of rolling.  I really want to get the jumper put together for her soon.  I think she'll love it.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• poupoule said:

My LO is the same way. He's started to get fussy is I don't have him standing. Our ottomans are the perfect height for him so he loves standing and holding them (he can hold himself for a good chunk of time now). He also has discovered the joy of the jumper and it's his current favorite. He likes jumping while watching his tv show. 
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited March 2016
    poupoule said:

My DD is exactly the same with standing. It's the only position she wants to be in. I make sure to work with her on sitting (pulling her up by her hands from supine position but letting her do the work and letting her sit unassisted with my hands an inch away). That way she develops the right muscles. 

Can your DD reach the ground in the jumperoo? We put ours together last weekend and I needed to put a tissue box under her feet. Maybe I don't have it adjusted correctly. Anyway, be mindful of the risk of hip displacia with the use of these items. We keep her to a minimum of 15min in any seat that causes leg extension. 
  • @Ceridwen77  we have the rainforest f&p and yes she touches the ground, flat feet if she stretches/stands her legs. And  only half her foot in her "relax" sitting position. But she is tall. We put little leather shoes on her now so she can jump even better :)
    glad to see nobody is worried, my mom did some comments about her bones being too soft for it so I wanted to make sure it was ok :) we do the same , she does not fit in the bumpo (already did not at 3mo) so we help her find balance sitting(when we can ahah) 
    they keep growing so fast it is hard to follow !!