May 2016 Moms
Options

Hospital Pre-Registration

So I just finished my hospital pre-registration. I feel like I still have so long to go before babygirl gets here (May 30 is too far away). But my checklist from my OB said that I needed to have it complete by my 27 week so they can start processing. So I can check that off my list for now... yay!!! Now I'm working on trying to order my breast pump.... I'm torn between the medela and specta though... grrr. I'm not very good with decisions. Hopefully I can make up my mind soon so that will be another thing I can check off my list  :)

Come on babygirl.... mama is getting ready for you!!!

Re: Hospital Pre-Registration

• Options
    Wow, I still haven't even done our hospital tour--got it scheduled for around 32 weeks.  Sure hope they didn't need something done by 27--already missed that boat, lol.

You can trade due dates with me, if you want (May 24).  I do NOT want this one to come early at all (need to get through a couple big jobs in early May first) and would much rather she get here late.  Soooooo not even ready!!
  • Options
    I'm almost 30 weeks, and my doctor hasn't said a peep about hospital pre-registration. We're planning on doing our baby preparation class 3/12 at our local hospital, but we're not delivering there so we'll have to go get tours yet of the 2 hospitals we might be delivering at (the one we deliver at depends on which hospital my doctor is working at that day :neutral: My due date is May 6th...

Together 11/2008
    Married 9/29/2012
    BFP #1 8/26/15
    EDD 5/6/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you haven't pre-registered, don't worry. It's just a convience for them and less paperwork for you on the days. Some hospitals don't even do pre-registration, mine didn't.

Just check with the hospital you plan to use for the policy and normal timeline. 
  • Options
    My hospital has you do these around 25w so mine is already done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My hospital sends those forms...along with a power of attorney form and alllll sorts of scary questions. It scared the shit out of me last pregnancy
  • Options
    That seems so early! We aren't doing out pre-registration until 36 weeks.
  • Options
    My hospital required the preregistration by 24 weeks. I will then need to schedule a meeting with my maternity navigator at 32 weeks, after completing my birth plan and reviewing it with my doctor.
  • Options
    I agree - it seems so early! I just did my hospital pre-registration last night and placed an order for a pump (I went with Spectra S2). 

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    Did my registration a few weeks ago.  Application was included in the packet I received the first time I went to the OBGYN when I met with the nurse.  I'm not sure when I was supposed to actually turn it in, but the hospital also had the form available on their website, which was so much easier to do than fill out the paper form.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    Ughh still havent got to do any of this :( moving accross the country now at 27 weeks and hoping when i arrive that it will all go smoothly!
  • Options
    I have an appointment next Monday to do my pre-registration (at 28 weeks) and an epidural consultation. My insurance covered both of those pumps also. I went with the Medela Pump in Style. My sister has a 3 month old, and she really likes it.
  • Options
    I thought it seemed early too... but I guess my doctor and the hospital just like to plan ahead so everything is ready to go. Like I said May still seems so far away to me... but when I break it down into how many weeks I have left... it really doesn't seem that long. I feel like it's going to sneak up on me and be here before I know it. 
  • Options
    Par13 said:
    I agree - it seems so early! I just did my hospital pre-registration last night and placed an order for a pump (I went with Spectra S2). 
    I'm torn between the Spectra and medela... I've heard great things about both. But not sure which one to go with. I've been told that the medela comes with everything you can think of needing for the breast pump; but also ready that you have to make sure to clean the tubes out and sanitize them really well. But I heard the Spectra is easier on the breasts and not as uncomfortable as some.

What made you decide on the Spectra one?
  • Options
    I didn't realize it, but my practice does it really early. I filled it out both times at the start of the 2nd trimester. 
  • Options
    Par13 said:
    I'm torn between the Spectra and medela... I've heard great things about both. But not sure which one to go with. I've been told that the medela comes with everything you can think of needing for the breast pump; but also ready that you have to make sure to clean the tubes out and sanitize them really well. But I heard the Spectra is easier on the breasts and not as uncomfortable as some.

I'm going with the spectra because I really like that it is a closed system and more sanitary
  • Options

Thank you for the reminder! Just pulled the paperwork back out of the drawer and finished filling it in. I'll stick it in the mail today!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Options
    BTW - I love my Medela Freestyle. Doesn't have to be plugged in, doesn't have tubes to clean, and I charged it over the weekends then used it several times a day, 5 days a week at work and had no issues. I would highly, highly recommend it! As for comfort, I have heard great things about the "pumpin' pals" shields and plan to get them this time. But I think the shields are what dictates comfort and as long as they are the right size they should be fine.

FYI - Link
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085CBA90?colid=2JW4WU51TY0ZJ&coliid=I5NTMO236WGMC&redirect=true&ref_=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

BFP 1: 9/15/2013 | DD 5/23/2014
    BFP 2: 9/15/2015 | EDD 5/26/2016

• Options
    I second the pumpin' pals shields. They allow you to sit back and pump, and pull the breast in more evenly so that your nipples don't end up as sore. 
  • Options
    My registration is tomorrow. My hospital said they recommend doing it between 28 and 30 weeks. I'm 29 so, that's that. 
  • Options
    EErin86 said:
    Par13 said:

I'm going with the spectra because I really like that it is a closed system and more sanitary
    I have a Medela Freestyle from when I had my son, but I was never thrilled with it's power and the amount of milk I got when pumping. It is really nice in the fact that you don't have to clean the tubes and it could run on battery. Also, it came with a tote bag, a cooler bag and ice pack which I used all the time once I went back to work.

The Spectra had good reviews from a power perspective as well as the closed system. I thought the downsides are that it uses wide-mouth bottles (and I've had trouble finding out which other bottles besides Spectra are compatible), it has to be plugged in, and it doesn't appear to have many accessories, especially on websites like Amazon. Also, I don't think it comes with a bag or cooler/ice pack.

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    Did my pre-registration online this week. I'm thirty weeks and my doctor told me to get it done before my next visit which is Monday of next week.
    already got my pump through my insurance. Went with the Medela one just because I read good reviews.
    knocking out the last items I have to get and still have to pack my hospital bag and then I'm pretty much done, nursery is finished as well.
    I'm a planner, but for some art reason I believe everything will turn out different like I planned. Don't know why but really think little man will come early, husband stuck in traffic etc...
    oh those worries not to make it to the hospital in time...
  • Options
    caterin said:
    Did my pre-registration online this week. I'm thirty weeks and my doctor told me to get it done before my next visit which is Monday of next week.
    already got my pump through my insurance. Went with the Medela one just because I read good reviews.
    knocking out the last items I have to get and still have to pack my hospital bag and then I'm pretty much done, nursery is finished as well.
    I'm a planner, but for some art reason I believe everything will turn out different like I planned. Don't know why but really think little man will come early, husband stuck in traffic etc...
    oh those worries not to make it to the hospital in time...
    This is me too. I have this irrational fear that he'll come early and everything will go screwy...hoping we're both wrong!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Par13 said:
    EErin86 said:
    Par13 said:

I have a Medela Freestyle from when I had my son, but I was never thrilled with it's power and the amount of milk I got when pumping. It is really nice in the fact that you don't have to clean the tubes and it could run on battery. Also, it came with a tote bag, a cooler bag and ice pack which I used all the time once I went back to work.

The Spectra had good reviews from a power perspective as well as the closed system. I thought the downsides are that it uses wide-mouth bottles (and I've had trouble finding out which other bottles besides Spectra are compatible), it has to be plugged in, and it doesn't appear to have many accessories, especially on websites like Amazon. Also, I don't think it comes with a bag or cooler/ice pack.
    I saw this too, but I did some research and if you buy the adapter kit from Kiinde and use the Ameda adapter you are able to pump into the Kiinde bags instead of bottles. I had planned on getting the Kiinde stuff anyway so this sealed the deal for me (I wasn't looking forward to the bottles that come with the Spectra). If you aren't planning on doing that though it may not be worth it for you as the biggest complaint for the Spectra I've seen is the bottles.

In terms of the accessories, there are some 'hacks' apparently where you can use Medela parts, but I was able to find what I needed on Amazon or the website for Spectra fine. Not as convenient to get, but they are there.

It doesn't come with a bag/cooler/etc... so if that's something you want keep that in mind, but I was also able to find a nice one on Amazon that fits the Spectra and has a built in cooler side. A little pricey, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me as I can always use a bag I already have in the mean time till I can get that one.
  • Options
    dsmith211 said:
    Par13 said:
    EErin86 said:
    Par13 said:

I saw this too, but I did some research and if you buy the adapter kit from Kiinde and use the Ameda adapter you are able to pump into the Kiinde bags instead of bottles. I had planned on getting the Kiinde stuff anyway so this sealed the deal for me (I wasn't looking forward to the bottles that come with the Spectra). If you aren't planning on doing that though it may not be worth it for you as the biggest complaint for the Spectra I've seen is the bottles.

In terms of the accessories, there are some 'hacks' apparently where you can use Medela parts, but I was able to find what I needed on Amazon or the website for Spectra fine. Not as convenient to get, but they are there.

It doesn't come with a bag/cooler/etc... so if that's something you want keep that in mind, but I was also able to find a nice one on Amazon that fits the Spectra and has a built in cooler side. A little pricey, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me as I can always use a bag I already have in the mean time till I can get that one.
    What kind of bag did you buy for the spectra off amazon? I'm pretty sure I'm going with the spectra.... so I need to go ahead and plan to stock up on the other things it doesn't come with I suppose.
  • Options
    dsmith211 said:
    Par13 said:
    EErin86 said:
    Par13 said:

What kind of bag did you buy for the spectra off amazon? I'm pretty sure I'm going with the spectra.... so I need to go ahead and plan to stock up on the other things it doesn't come with I suppose.
    I'm getting this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Wells-Lizzy-Breast-Pump/dp/B00TIPMD4Y/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1456501995&sr=8-2&keywords=sarah+wells

It's the cheapest of the ones this brand (Sarah Wells) makes which is why I chose this one, but they do make a few different colors and styles for different prices if you want something a little different. Still a little expensive, but it has the built in cooler pocket and when I was looking for separate coolers they all ran about $20-25 just for the cooler itself, so it's not too bad. I mostly liked that it didn't scream 'Hi! I'm a breast pump bag!'. It was the brand that kept coming up when I was searching for bags and it has pretty good reviews.