Infertility
Options

Introducing Myself...and a question

Victoria1313Victoria1313 member
edited February 2016 in Infertility
Hi! New to site. Just wanted to introduce myself and ask if anyone has advice about dealing with Metformin. This is my first cycle on Letrazole/Metformin to induce ovulation. I previously tried Clomid with no success. Does anyone have any tips/advice for dealing with the gastro-intestinal distress caused by Metformin? Would really appreciate it. Also, DH and I are going to our first IF support group tonight. Wish us luck.  

About Us:
Me - 31  DH - 31
Married: October 2013
TTC: June 2014
In treatment with RE: September 2015
Diagnosed Anovulation 
3 cycles on clomid - BFN
1 cycle of Letrazole/Metformin

Re: Introducing Myself...and a question

• Options
    Welcome! I don't have any experience with metformin but wanted to say hello and hopefully your stay on these boards is short! These boards and these women have been such a huge support for me during my IF and am so glad I found my way here, hopefully you will feel that way too! 

Good luck at your support group tonight! Let us know how it goes. 

Me me and my DH were married Oct 2013 too!! 
  • Options

Sorry you have to be here but welcome.

I have been on metformin for 20 years and I will tell you that the diarrhea sort of hangs around.  To decrease the stomach cramps you need to take it with food.  When I say take with food, I mean take it in the middle of a meal.  This has helped a lot over the years.  I have to take an iron supplement and I did notice that when I started taking that, the diarrhea part of it did get better.  Sometimes I would also take Immodium if it got too bad.

Also, Letrozole gives me bad headaches as I think it does many women.  They usually get better once I'm done taking them for the month.

Me: 33, PCOS, Type 2 Diabetes on insulin, post bariatric surgery (11/14)
    SO: 27
    TTC un-medicated for ~ 1 year
    October, 2015 - Clomid 50mg CD 5-9 with TI = BFN
    November, 2015 - Clomid 100mg CD 5-9, Ovidrel 11/11 with TI = BFN
    December, 2015 - Letrazole 2.5mg CD 3-7 (no trigger) with TI = BFN
    January, 2016 - Letrazole 5mg CD 3-7 + Letrazole 7.5 mg CD 12-16, Ovidrel 1/23 with IUI #1 on 1/25 = (AF @ 8DPO) BFN
    February, 2016 - Letrazole 7.5 mg CD 3-7, Ovidrel 2/14 with IUI #2 on 2/16 = BFN
    My Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello! I also don't have any experience with metformin, but just wanted to drop a hello and a good luck! I'm pretty new to the boards too and everyone has been so kind and supportive!! 

Hoping your experience at the support group is a positive one! Let us know how it goes.  :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the response and advice. 
  • Options
    HI @victoria1313 and welcome.
    Sorry to hear you had to join this group, but you'll find lots of wonderfull people here.
    I don't have any information about metformin either, sorry, but wanted you to feel welcome!
    GL on your journey!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Letrozole can also cause joint pain.  Not for everybody, just something like 10% of women, but be aware of it.  If it happens, do some gentle movement (slow swimming, maybe), but take it easy when you can.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    Welcome! I've only taken Metformin for about 2 months and the first few days were definitely rough. However, for me personally, things calmed down once I got used to it. Every now and then I'd have some one-off issues but for the most part it went away. GL to you with your cycle! 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN