June 2016 Moms

NBR: question for knitting and crochet mamas

I always go to a little local yarn store to get my goods to start a project, but I was wondering if anyone has a great recommendation on where to get yarn online. 

I get nervous when I can't touch it. 

And I don't want to pay double the amount just because it's some boutiquey online yarn shop (as if yarn isn't expensive enough). 

Additional question - I am lazy and order everything on Prime. Has anyone found amazing yarn on Prime?
Married: June 25, 2011
DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

Re: NBR: question for knitting and crochet mamas

• Honestly, I buy most of my yarn at Michael's with coupons or at Walmart. I'm not into the crazy fancy stuff. I just want stuff that's easy to work with and is affordable. I personally would only order stuff online that either I had used/seen before or could easily return. What kind of yarn are you looking for? I might be able to give you some suggestions! :)
  • I've never seen amazing yarn on Prime, sadly. I find myself looking at yarn on Etsy, but I am similarly loath to order yarn I haven't touched or yarn that's overpriced just because it's special snowflake yarn.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Knit picks has great reasonably priced yarn that isn't a bunch of synthetics!
  • I also tend to buy most of my yarn at michaels/joanns either on sale or with a coupon, I just wouldn't be comfortable buying it without being able to touch it either.  
  • I use lion brand yarn Bc there are stores near me so I've touched most of the stuff but can also buy online. I'm not sure how it compares to other places price wise, I'm in NY so everything is expensive in my mind, but they have a fantastic selection and I can answer questions about how it feels if you see something you like. I think you can order their stuff on amazon even?
  • I'm another Michaels/Walmart yarn buyer. I have a huge blanket I crocheted in high school, over 10 years ago, and it's in perfect condition. I used red heart yarn for it and it's been through the washer and dryer countless times, I'm one of those crazies who washes all blankets sitting around the house every couple weeks. You can find a lot of natural fiber yarns in these stores too. I found a nice mohair I made a scarf out of. 

I would only buy online if it was a brand I knew or came highly recommended to me. 
  • I love Webs. Their website is yarn.com and if you're ever near their store, stop in for a few hours.
    37 y/o
    Married 9/1/13
    Off OCP 3/1/14
    TTC 6/1/14
    DX Endometriosis in 2002
    Laparoscopy 2002 and 2007
    HSG 8/2014, right tube partially blocked
    1st BFP 1/5/15 EDD 9/12/15- miscarried 1/8/15
    BFP 10/5/15 EDD 6/17/16- delivered healthy girl 6/18/16
    BFP 8/4/16 EDD 3/2/18- trisomy 18 girl- no heartbeat 8/25/17 at 13 weeks d&c 8/28/17
    BFP 12/4/17 EDD 8/19/18

• My grandma made me a bit of a yarn snob, because she used to buy all of my yarn... I don't pick a brand, but I won't buy anything from like a Michaels or equivalent. I need it all to feel like butter!

I am looking for a yarn that's is 125g in charcoal grey. 

I I haven't bought from Etsy before. Is most of it hand spun?

Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Fellow yarn snob here, lurking from the July board. I like to work with Merino, or it hardly feels worth the time and effort. I know, I'm a brat!

I've had wonderful luck with all my online yarn purchases from Knit Picks. They have incredibly reasonable (compared to LYS), non-boutique prices for fabulously soft and durable yarns. They have a huge selection of colors and fiber types, too.