May 2016 Moms

Off limit searches!

emsnedemsned member
edited February 2016 in May 2016 Moms
I think this discussion was the idea of @laurenmdrn16 ? But I thought we should put together a list of keywords to NEVER search for on Google! To help us all avoid the anticipation of pain and self-diagnosing, here's a few searches to avoid: 

- Epidural injection 
- Video of birth
- Pregnancy sex positions (thanks @laurenmdrn16)
- Cervix/effaced measuring
- Water breaking

If you are not easily freaked out by the thought of going into labor, something you can search for is the Try Guys on YouTube learning what it's like to feel contractions during labor (: grown men yelling and thanking their mothers is great! 

Re: Off limit searches!

• kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited February 2016
    Unless you absolutely want to know, I'd advise against looking up a diagram that depicts the degrees of tears or what fresh csection incisions look like. These were the only things that gave me chills when I was researching last pregnancy.

Edited wording 
  • TheThornBirdTheThornBird member
    edited February 2016
    Bloody show and mucus plug. Although in a few weeks I'm sure we'll get plenty of people posting their pictures. Oh, and placentas. Disgusting. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Aw but I love birth videos!
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Bloody show and mucus plug. Although in a few weeks I'm sure we'll get plenty of people posting their pictures. Oh, and placentas. Disgusting. 
    After our first baby and I was home from the hospital glancing through pictures I noticed DH took a pic of the placenta. I had no idea and he thought it was pretty funny. It wasn't.  :s
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • I'm gagging over here  :s
  • I'm with @saladflambe, I love birth videos! 
  • Hemorrhoids. Or however you spell it. Always saw it as a symptom so I googled it. Big mistake. 
  • Bloody show and mucus plug. Although in a few weeks I'm sure we'll get plenty of people posting their pictures. Oh, and placentas. Disgusting. 
    DH made this mistake today. We learned about it at our class last night and he thought it would be a good idea to google it today. In my defense I warned him not to... :smirk: 
  • & your mucus plug can regenerate so if you lose it early that's still no excuse.
  • I love birth videos, too! I can never stop watching them.. and there are really lovely ones out there, too :-) 

After our first baby and I was home from the hospital glancing through pictures I noticed DH took a pic of the placenta. I had no idea and he thought it was pretty funny. It wasn't.  :s
    TBH I would be interested to see what it looks like out of curiosity and then likely regret it but I won't be making a request to have one taken.. 

• @kbrands7 I never thought of looking up tears but not I can't help myself. 

cat fail animated GIF

• This may also be a good UO, but I think placentas are cool!  If I was having a vag delivery, I would ask to see mine.  I won't requesting that in the operating room, and I won't be keeping it for my own use (no judging if you are!), but they really do look amazing - it is like a tree with branches of blood vessels. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Birth videos make me queasy and anxious. Even after experiencing labor, I can't watch them. We watched one during a class last pregnancy and the instructor asked me if I was going to pass out and it was just the first few minutes. 
  • I caved and looked up the placenta pics.  Not as bad as I thought!
  • AliciaD39 said:
    Hemorrhoids. Or however you spell it. Always saw it as a symptom so I googled it. Big mistake. 
    @AliciaD39 You had me laughing soooo good at this. I could only imagine the mental scarring, images you'll never forget. 
  • yogahh said:
    @kbrands7 I never thought of looking up tears but not I can't help myself. 

-----------Qbf---------
    No! Seriously, I advise against looking up too much detail on tears or incisions. Seeing diagrams and pictures of those made me gasp (not even birthing videos did that).

Looking up preventative measures and care is a good idea for just in case, but pictures just aren't necessary.
  • araecaseyaraecasey member
    edited February 2016
    Oh no. I have this really bad thing where if someone says "don't google" something, I have to and I cannot stop myself. Please no.....
    What you SHOULDN'T google, is placenta teddy bears.

ETA: And childbirth cakes.
  • Placentas don't bug me. I've been raw feeding my dogs too long to get easily grossed out by things that just look (to me) like big chunks of animal organs. Although I guess it'll be a little weird if I'm so loopy from pain medication that I ask to take the dumb thing home as dog food. Then again, given some of the stuff other people do with their placentas, maybe not...
  • AliciaD39 said:
    Hemorrhoids. Or however you spell it. Always saw it as a symptom so I googled it. Big mistake. 
    I just looked it up on Wikipedia... that was bad enough.
    Anniversary

• kbrands7 said:
    yogahh said:
    @kbrands7 I never thought of looking up tears but not I can't help myself. 

-----------Qbf---------
    No! Seriously, I advise against looking up too much detail on tears or incisions. Seeing diagrams and pictures of those made me gasp (not even birthing videos did that).

Looking up preventative measures and care is a good idea for just in case, but pictures just aren't necessary.
    This goes for the aftermath of your own tear too. You'll be curious, but don't do it. 
  • STDs. NEVER image search that. I did that once when I was freaking out about what turned out to be an ingrown hair, and it scarred me for life. Not that this is really pregnancy related at all, but while we're warning of each other of stuff, stay away from that one! Even if you are sure you have an STD, don't search that.
  • araecasey said:
    Oh no. I have this really bad thing where if someone says "don't google" something, I have to and I cannot stop myself. Please no.....
    What you SHOULDN'T google, is placenta teddy bears.

ETA: And childbirth cakes.

QBF. 

Umm. That's got me curious. I've heard and seen everything else listed so far but that... I'm like wtf. 
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Did anyone see that birthing video in the river?!  Lady was pretty much giving birth on rocks! (Well she did have a mat). It was the first birthing video I watched.  It wasn't that scary at first, but then the husband started pulling the baby out by the head!  Luckily the baby was ok.  All her kids were around too, and I couldn't help imagining there were campers on the other side of the river lol
  • Merciel said:
    Placentas don't bug me. I've been raw feeding my dogs too long to get easily grossed out by things that just look (to me) like big chunks of animal organs. Although I guess it'll be a little weird if I'm so loopy from pain medication that I ask to take the dumb thing home as dog food. Then again, given some of the stuff other people do with their placentas, maybe not...
    Well, you can donate it to search & rescue k9 teams to help them train dogs to find human remains......I'm trying to convince MH to let me donate ours, but the idea of it creeps him out. 
  • emsnedds said:
    I think this discussion was the idea of @laurenmdrn16 ? But I thought we should put together a list of keywords to NEVER search for on Google! To help us all avoid the anticipation of pain and self-diagnosing, here's a few searches to avoid: 

- Epidural injection 
    - Video of birth
    - Pregnancy sex positions (thanks @laurenmdrn16)
    - Cervix/effaced measuring
    - Water breaking

If you are not easily freaked out by the thought of going into labor, something you can search for is the Try Guys on YouTube learning what it's like to feel contractions during labor (: grown men yelling and thanking their mothers is great! 

Love it!

Another one to NEVER google is "yeast infection around C-section scar". At one of my post partum visits my OB casually mentioned that you can get bad yeast infections around the scar if you have any flab. Considering I am a flabby lady, I looked it up to see what I should be on the look out for. Mind you, I am a nurse who has cleaned smegma from many an elderly man's penis, had patients vomit golf ball sized blood clots in my face, and digitally disembacted the bowels of both young and old alike. But those images shook me to my core and haunt me to this day.

There will also be lots of issues that come up in early infancy that you don't want to Google. I will leave those for another day...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @michellabanana  I saw that weird birth video too! I'm all for natural birth, and i've watched a ton of videos on youtube and such, but that one takes the cake. Seems like a good way to get some sort of terrible infection!
  • MercielMerciel member
    edited February 2016
    Merciel said:
    Placentas don't bug me. I've been raw feeding my dogs too long to get easily grossed out by things that just look (to me) like big chunks of animal organs. Although I guess it'll be a little weird if I'm so loopy from pain medication that I ask to take the dumb thing home as dog food. Then again, given some of the stuff other people do with their placentas, maybe not...
    Well, you can donate it to search & rescue k9 teams to help them train dogs to find human remains......I'm trying to convince MH to let me donate ours, but the idea of it creeps him out. 
    Oh, yeah, I know.

Which reminds me of a story: One of my friends is a cadaver dog handler and around the end of last summer, I think it was August/September, somebody broke into her work truck and stole a lockbox out of the back.

Probably the thief figured it was guns or something else valuable that needed to be secured in a lockbox (this happened in Texas so I guess it wouldn't be that weird for somebody to have guns in a lockbox in their truck, and it does look like a truck that's been used heavily for hunting or off-roads outdoorsy stuff), but actually what was in the box was a human remains sample that she'd been decomposing for a while to get it properly aged for the training that the search dogs were about to do. Specifically, it was a couple of cadaver hands. They'd been rotting in there for like two weeks.

I would give so much money to see the look on that thief's face if he ever got that box open.
  • Merciel said:
    Merciel said:
    Oh, yeah, I know.

Which reminds me of a story: One of my friends is a cadaver dog handler and around the end of last summer, I think it was August/September, somebody broke into her work truck and stole a lockbox out of the back.

Probably the thief figured it was guns or something else valuable that needed to be secured in a lockbox (this happened in Texas so I guess it wouldn't be that weird for somebody to have guns in a lockbox in their truck, and it does look like a truck that's been used heavily for hunting or off-roads outdoorsy stuff), but actually what was in the box was a human remains sample that she'd been decomposing for a while to get it properly aged for the training that the search dogs were about to do. Specifically, it was a couple of cadaver hands. They'd been rotting in there for like two weeks.

I would give so much money to see the look on that thief's face if he ever got that box open.
    Ha! I can imagine for weeks he was terrified a pissed off serial killer was going to track him down and harvest his body parts. Hopefully it taught him to never steal again :)