May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Speaking of cake... I think red velvet is way overrated.

RED VELVET IS MY FAVORITE!!!!!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Jumping on the cake bandwagon (ps-if there is such a thing, I would be first in line!) I prefer a much higher cake:frosting/filling ratio than most people. In fact, I would be fine with an unfrosted cake. For our wedding we had a cupcake tower and specifically requested that one flavor not have any frosting, but it did have a super yummy lemon curd filling. Most people were flabbergasted since the bakery we used is known for their buttercream, but I am not a fan of a huge glob of frosting or a cake with a giant layer of mousse filling as thick as the cake layers themselves. I am also a huge fan of bread (not unlike Oprah) so I feel that may play into it a bit.

I like icing but not too much icing. I hate how cupcake shops just pile on thick layers of icing, it makes the cupcake hard to eat!

• Loading the player...
  • kp90 said:

vinerie said:
    kp90 said:
    I don't find Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt attractive.
    Sure you don't  ;)

Lmao! @vinerie

Not so much for Johnny Depp but Brad Pitt YUM!!
  • On the cake topic, there's a Sprinkles cupcake ATM machine near me. Like a money ATM only glorious cupcakes come out. Not kidding. And I like them allllll. 

Makeup topic: I love makeup but still like it to look natural for the most part. My hair is also naturally wavy but very fine so that makes it easier to dry and style. That might be why I fix it more often but I honestly feel better with fixed hair even if I'm wearing workout clothes and no makeup. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I love celebrating birthdays. I don't have a big party with friends outside of if someone wants to pull together a dinner at my favorite restaurant. If no one does that, I usually plan something fun for my husband and I to do. I just like having the excuse.

• For all of you cake-lovers with Showers coming up...cake freezes really well!  I wish I knew this years ago.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• JennyS86 said:
    For all of you cake-lovers with Showers coming up...cake freezes really well!  I wish I knew this years ago.
    YES! I actually will get into a super baking mode and make like 4 6in rounds on a whim and freeze them all. I don't like how frosting freezes, but as previously stated, I don't really like frosting anyways so I just freeze the cakes and then have cake anytime I want to smear with Nutella or honey...yummmmmm....honey cake!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • JennyS86 said:
    For all of you cake-lovers with Showers coming up...cake freezes really well!  I wish I knew this years ago.
    YES! I actually will get into a super baking mode and make like 4 6in rounds on a whim and freeze them all. I don't like how frosting freezes, but as previously stated, I don't really like frosting anyways so I just freeze the cakes and then have cake anytime I want to smear with Nutella or honey...yummmmmm....honey cake!
    That sounds good! My favorite frostings to make are cream cheese and peanut butter-- less sweet, and more savory.
  • kami09 said:
    TXmamatobe said:
    but I honestly feel better with fixed hair even if I'm wearing workout clothes and no makeup. 
    Not what you were saying, but it reminded me of this: I HATE when women wear their hair down when doing any type of working out/physical activity. 
    This! I have long hair and as a runner I could never wear it down when working out. It just got in the way, would stick to me, and I would always get too hot. I would always see people at the gym working out with their hair down though... Never understood how people could do it.
  • @Pascal86 I actually have given up shaving my legs mostly because it is the winter and also I can't anymore without having MH help. I also gave up shaving my armpits on a whim and it actually feels kind of nice. I was a little embarrassed when I was wearing a long skirt to church and my goddaughter asked about why my legs look different than her mom's, but I just matter-of-factly said that I don't shave my legs because I don't want to, but her mom does and that's fine. Then, she pulled up her leggings and showed me her adorable little 7-yr-old peach fuzz on her legs and said "Maybe I won't shave too!" I said that that is her choice and she can change her mind whenever she wants. I alerted her parents that we had this convo and her dad hugged me and said "Thank God! I was terrified about when my little baby girl would start shaving her legs!" It is so bizarre how my culture (and I gather the culture of some of the other bumpies here) put so much pressure on women to be smooth and hairless. I feel more like a goddess when I am natural and letting it all hang out, but that's just me.

My mom is the ultimate Earth mother and is blessed with the most incredible skin. She has never worn makeup and is just beyond gorgeous. She is a large portion Native American so her skin tone as well as her texture are flawless just as they are. People honestly think we are sisters because she looks so youthful. She never shaved her legs and no one cared when we were at the lake or hanging out in the backyard. She does wear pantyhose to church, but otherwise doesn't make a big deal of it. However, my step-mother was always wearing loads of makeup, got her hair done all the time and spent mountains of money on manicures and designer clothes. She would always make comments about my hair and she was the one who showed me how to shave my legs. I always hated her so that's where my conflicted relationship with primping and makeup really came from. I want my daughter to have a healthy balance and an unbiased view of putting effort into your appearance as a woman and as a person.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pascal86 said:
    So many things to respond to here....

First, @TXmamatobe - I was initially amazed by the cupcake ATM thing, until I realized it's just a clever marketing thing to call it an ATM, and actually it's just a vending machine for cupcakes. Would still die happy if one was by my house, but think it's funny that it's called an ATM.

And @laurenmdrn16 - don't worry, I was having the opposite concern! I don't wear much makeup at all, but I want my daughter to grow up knowing that all that is 100% optional, and not an important part of being a woman! My mom wore makeup to work growing up because she's a doctor and felt it's part of being professional, but otherwise never said two words to me about hair/makeup. I've been grateful for that, because aside from being mostly incompetent at that stuff, it always feels like I'm doing extra, and not like something that needs to happen. I've even considered giving up shaving my legs to set an example for her - that one's hard though, because while it drives me crazy that razor companies have somehow convinced our society that woman should rub razor blades all over their legs every day and that being a woman = having hairless legs... I also don't love having super hairy legs.

And finally, to all you adult-birthday haters out there... obviously I take issue with this! You don't want to celebrate your birthday? Fine by me. But where I come from, there is basically no bad reason to have a party, or to celebrate however you want. And eating cake and drinking wine and watching movies is totally an awesome way to celebrate your birthday (and one that I have done several times), so don't say you don't get adult celebrations just because your version of a celebration is super low-key. I think there's some confusion about people wanting to celebrate their birthday equaling having a huge party, which isn't always the case by any means. Being a grown-up can be stressful sometimes, telling me that it's only legit to enjoy my birthday once or twice a decade is super depressing.
    YES! My birthday was last sunday and I wasn't planning on doing anything - but my Mom and the rest of my family were very determined that we do some sort of celebration. It wasn't anything crazy, but if you want to gather people together and celebrate something- do! You can always say "Yes this is for a birthday but please, don't bring presents" there will always be people who ignore you but you can do that. I wasn't going to have anything because the baby shower is in a month, but my family over-ruled me (I'm glad they did, it was fun)-- and I got some fun stuff- yes most of it was baby related but I'm ok with that! 
  • As much as I love getting dressed up and trying to look nice, I never do anything with my hair. I haven't blow-dried it once in my entire life. It's either up in a ponytail or messy bun (and even the bun is straining my pitiful hairstyling skills) or it's down and loose and entirely unstyled.

I don't know why, but that's the one beauty-maintenance thing where I'm just completely lazy and feel no incentive to change.
  • @Bluejay3030 I hate going to the movies too! Only mine stems from the thought of how often those seats are cleaned.

UO: I could care less about celebrities. Their names, lives, who their with, anything. They're just rich people to me. 
  • I hate writing thank-yous (I feel like they're just so much clutter that are going to get tossed instantly), but I agree, as a gift-giver it's nice to know that something just got there okay.

I gave a good friend a small stone tucked inside a card for her wedding and I never heard anything about it, so since then I've always worried that maybe it got lost or cracked somehow and she never received it. I don't want or expect any acknowledgement beyond that, but every once in a while I just wonder if she even got that thing.
  • I guess my UO is that I really love writing and sending thank you cards to people.
    So do I. It gives me the warm and fuzzies.
    Actually I really like a lot of traditional etiquette practices and I voluntarily own an Emily Post. Thank you cards, invitations, dress code, and dinner practices... I get excited for fancier things were my etiquette bible might be useful. I try not to put this pressure on others though. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • this made me think of you yogahh.... (stupid quote box...)

yogahh said:
    babyfmama said:
    I finally remembered one I had been saving from earlier this week: I don't understand when adults love celebrating their birthdays. Sure, milestone birthdays are a great excuse for a party, but other than once (or twice) a decade, I think it's excessive when friends insist on going all out every year.
    This is what I think of when I think of grown people having BD parties
    RealityTVGIFs vanderpump rules birthday happy birthday stassi schroeder

I haven't had one since I was 13.
    Seriously, I am happy just sitting on my couch eating cake and drinking wine on my BD. 

• yogahh said:
    I guess my UO is that I really love writing and sending thank you cards to people.

Me too! I find it really rude when you go out of your way to send someone a gift, and there is no thank you. I cant tell you how many people I have sent wedding gifts to and never received a thank you. I dont even know if they got the gift since they never said anything. Then you feel weird saying "Did you get that expensive glass bowl you registered for? You know, the one I spent time wrapping and standing in line at the post office to mail. Just want to be sure it didnt arrive in a thousand pieces".
    We attended a wedding and their thank you's came in the form of a scribbled note on the back of their Christmas card....but their wedding was in September.  I get the "two month etiquette" but it just seemed lazy...
  • this made me think of you yogahh.... (stupid quote box...)

yogahh said:
    babyfmama said:
    I finally remembered one I had been saving from earlier this week: I don't understand when adults love celebrating their birthdays. Sure, milestone birthdays are a great excuse for a party, but other than once (or twice) a decade, I think it's excessive when friends insist on going all out every year.
    This is what I think of when I think of grown people having BD parties
    RealityTVGIFs vanderpump rules birthday happy birthday stassi schroeder

I haven't had one since I was 13.
    Seriously, I am happy just sitting on my couch eating cake and drinking wine on my BD. 

Well, *I* like drinking wine
    My mom just likes being crazy

cat fail animated GIF

• @yogahh so you're a stalker and a wino....

• @yogahh so you're a stalker and a wino....

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    I guess my UO is that I really love writing and sending thank you cards to people.

Me too! I find it really rude when you go out of your way to send someone a gift, and there is no thank you. I cant tell you how many people I have sent wedding gifts to and never received a thank you. I dont even know if they got the gift since they never said anything. Then you feel weird saying "Did you get that expensive glass bowl you registered for? You know, the one I spent time wrapping and standing in line at the post office to mail. Just want to be sure it didnt arrive in a thousand pieces".
    We attended a wedding and their thank you's came in the form of a scribbled note on the back of their Christmas card....but their wedding was in September.  I get the "two month etiquette" but it just seemed lazy...
    I agree that sending thank you cards is proper etiquette and a nice thing to do. But for our wedding, I didn't get cards out to everyone. If they gave an actual gift then they got a thank you card. But if they had given money/gift card I didn't get one to them. I could never figure out the right way to word: "thanks for the money/ gift card that was stolen on the honeymoon and I will never get to use". I vow to be better this time. 
  • yogahh said:

I agree that sending thank you cards is proper etiquette and a nice thing to do. But for our wedding, I didn't get cards out to everyone. If they gave an actual gift then they got a thank you card. But if they had given money/gift card I didn't get one to them. I could never figure out the right way to word: "thanks for the money/ gift card that was stolen on the honeymoon and I will never get to use". I vow to be better this time. 
    I always go with "Thank you for your generosity..." when someone gives a cash gift or gift card. Sorry your stuff got stolen, that is horrible!
  • yogahh said:

I always go with "Thank you for your generosity..." when someone gives a cash gift or gift card. Sorry your stuff got stolen, that is horrible!
    Thanks Ill keep that in mind. Our rental car was broken into and they got everything: purse/ wallet, my betsey Johnson bag :(, change of clothes where the wedding money was hidden, phones, passports. It sucked. 
  • JennyS86 said:
    I worked as a cake decorator at a high end bakery for 3 years.... when I quit last summer, I brought home an entire 10" round cake (serves 20), cut it up, and froze it. Then for the my birthday less than a month later, I ordered a cake from them and did the same thing. You never know when you are going to need a piece of cake!
  • Jparke2 said:
    JennyS86 said:
    I worked as a cake decorator at a high end bakery for 3 years.... when I quit last summer, I brought home an entire 10" round cake (serves 20), cut it up, and froze it. Then for the my birthday less than a month later, I ordered a cake from them and did the same thing. You never know when you are going to need a piece of cake!
    What's the best way to freeze it? Any tips? I grossly inflated the guest count when ordering DS's birthday cake from my favorite place. I'm so giddy at the prospect of having cake whenever I want it. 
  • I'd like to know as well, cause frozen wedding cake is gross (a year later may be the problem lol)
  • On the cake topic, there's a Sprinkles cupcake ATM machine near me. Like a money ATM only glorious cupcakes come out. Not kidding. And I like them allllll. 

Makeup topic: I love makeup but still like it to look natural for the most part. My hair is also naturally wavy but very fine so that makes it easier to dry and style. That might be why I fix it more often but I honestly feel better with fixed hair even if I'm wearing workout clothes and no makeup. 
    @TXmamatobe Oh. My. God! Why do they not have those contractions where I live?! That sounds amazing. It also sounds like I'd be fat. lol

• dsmith211 said:
    kami09 said:
    TXmamatobe said:
    but I honestly feel better with fixed hair even if I'm wearing workout clothes and no makeup. 
    Not what you were saying, but it reminded me of this: I HATE when women wear their hair down when doing any type of working out/physical activity. 
    This! I have long hair and as a runner I could never wear it down when working out. It just got in the way, would stick to me, and I would always get too hot. I would always see people at the gym working out with their hair down though... Never understood how people could do it.
    That drives me nuts too! I have to have my hair up, I don't know how anyone could work out with their hair down. It's gross and hot.

@TXmamatobe Oh. My. God! Why do they not have those contractions where I live?! That sounds amazing. It also sounds like I'd be fat. lol
    It is definitely a glorious invention! 

It is definitely a glorious invention! 
    I just saw an article that they are putting in an ATM in Tampa!!
  • On the cake topic, there's a Sprinkles cupcake ATM machine near me. Like a money ATM only glorious cupcakes come out. Not kidding. And I like them alllll.    

Hiiiii!! I live in the same metro area that you do (well, I suspect that I do), and I have a need to know where this cupcake-dispensing ATM is....for reasons. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @txmamatobe Yaaaayyyyy!! Thank you!! If I'm correct, one of those addresses is not far from where Northpark and the HPB mothership is...methinks I need to stock up on some Lush, books, and a cupcake sometime soon. :D 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Merciel said:
    I hate writing thank-yous (I feel like they're just so much clutter that are going to get tossed instantly), but I agree, as a gift-giver it's nice to know that something just got there okay.

I gave a good friend a small stone tucked inside a card for her wedding and I never heard anything about it, so since then I've always worried that maybe it got lost or cracked somehow and she never received it. I don't want or expect any acknowledgement beyond that, but every once in a while I just wonder if she even got that thing.
    I too hate writing thank you notes. I don't even like getting thank you notes. They seem contrived to me when done as a blanket practice. I prefer to thank gift givers in person with a big hug.

• durbie92 said:
    I'd like to know as well, cause frozen wedding cake is gross (a year later may be the problem lol)
    When hubby and I got out our wedding cake for our first anniversary, and went to go take a bite, I spotted one of MIL's longgggggg hairs lodged in the frosting on my fork, frozen and preserved along with our precious memories haha. Where was the cupcake dispenser when I needed it??