Pregnant after IF

Prometrium / Progesterone

Hey ladies,

I have a query and need to know if anyone has had any experience with this drug.

I just finished my 5wk 4 day check and everything was how it should be . My fertility doctor prescribed me more metformin which I am fine with and the mentioned that there is also Prometrium which you insert inside your vagina to provide more progesterone .

My doctor has not recently tested my Progesterone levels so he is not basing his prescription on this rather on the fact that I have pcos. My concern is that I do not want to take anything that could harm the pregnancy , I was fortunate enough to end up conceiving without ivf or IUI it was just by luck so I'm unsure if this is right for me.

the Internet does not really give a concise answer does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of this drug .

Re: Prometrium / Progesterone

• My RE requires a progesterone supplement with all pregnancies, no matter how you conceive. In no way will it hurt the pregnancy. It is the hormone your body naturally produces during pregnancy. He is prescribing this to help sustain the pregnancy. Yes, take it if he prescribed it! :smile: 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks , how far along are you now ? Did you have bad side affects ?
  • 4 weeks 6 days. I'm taking the injection. I TRIED TO switch to the suppositories, but ins wouldn't cover it and I couldn't afford it. I've done the shots twice a day for 2 weeks now  (I think lol). No side effects I could tell, but I did ivf so Ive been on a variety of meds. 

Whatever the side effects are, the benefits (helping keep your pregnancy) are far more important! 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wasn't on Prometrium
    only for my first medicated cycle. I ended up being on it for every cycle thereafter, and was on Prometrium (2 capsules twice a day) until 12 weeks, despite my progesterone being at the level of someone in their third tri by 8 weeks. What my doctor said is that it can only help, and definitely won't hurt. It's not super pleasant (constant discharge, wear pantiliners, but then really, you'll notice that you'll want to keep on wearing them anyway once you're off the progesterone). It irritated me a bit and sex drive was absolutely inexistant, although the fatigue and nausea may have had a role to play in that as well. Other than that, it seems to have worked in keeping baby there and well, so it was all worth it (I'm now a little over 30 weeks). 
  • I've never taken Prometrium, however, I was on Progesterone suppositories twice a day until I was 12weeks.  It definitely was not pleasant (constant discharge, etc.) but well worth a healthy pregnancy!  My RE gave the same information that the other ladies have described above, that it can only help the pregnancy.

Me: 36, DH: 36

Married and TTC Since 2/2012

Me: Mild PCOS, DH: Low Sperm Count and Motility

IUI #1 w/Clomid + Trigger - BFP 10/15/15, MC (CP) 10/19/15

IUI #2 w/Clomid + Trigger - BFP 12/14/15  EDD 8/23/16

Foster to Adopt Placement! DD#1 Born 7/2016

DD#2 Born 9/2016

Foster to Adopt Placement! DS Born 7/2018

• I've taken Prometrium and am currently on it right before my FET and I will say it does make me bloat, makes my boobs bigger and makes me tired. It's manageable though!  Hope its not too bad for you! I know quite a few people, including my sister, who have had to take it during the first trimester for low progesterone.

@Kidshrink I have a question for you if you don't mind me asking! How high was your progesterone? Do you remember? I am having my FET tomorrow and they tested my progesterone level yesterday and it was already at 60! Isn't that really high? I'm worried it will affect my chances.... but the doc made no changes to my med protocol. I'm just worried bc I know some docs won't do transfers if progesterone levels are too high. I can't find data on what that level is! I know the doc knows best... but I'm worried! Eeek!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • @mskeenan : It was 283! The guidelines on the results say that in the luteal phase, they should be between 11-81. So your 60 is pretty high, but I'd think that's a good thing if you want your little embabies to snuggle in there :) I did IUI, not IVF, so not sure what the cutoff would be. I'll have my fingers crossed for you! 
  • Thank you @kidshrink ! I feel better about it now - my transfer went well and my lining was still thick so in crossing my fingers I get good news !!! 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Fingers crossed for you @mskeenan! Hope we get to see you here as a regular soon!  
  • So whilst not being on the progesterone tablets my levels dropped slightly. So my Doctor told me to start taking it twice a day.

Ive been on the vaginal ones for a week now . As mentioned it's annoying more than anything as I feel like im always leaking a little , however it's worth it.

The nurse said I must stop cold turkey at the 12week because after that point the placenta will take over .

Im on week 7 it feels like forever . Plus im taking metformin too. All I care about is baby