December 2015 Moms

To Moms With Intact Boys

Bombmom3Bombmom3 member
edited February 2016 in December 2015 Moms
Anyone else noticing redness around the tip of their little guy's foreskin?  Anyone know if this is normal?  I have a call in to his doctor's office and am waiting to hear back to see if I need to take him in this week or if we can just watch it and wait until his checkup next month.  

There are no open sores, no discharge, no foul odor.  Just a bright red section on the tip end of his foreskin.  It started out about two weeks ago as a pink tint to the skin and has gotten darker over time.  I'm worried this means he may be developing a UTI or infection.  I know enough not to mess with it at all but neither hubs or I have any experience with an intact penis so looking for insights from others if this sounds like run of the mill diaper burn or if it's an indicator of something more serious. 

I appreciate any thoughts from moms with similar experiences on the matter.  

Re: To Moms With Intact Boys

• My son is circumsized(he's 13 now) but DH used to have to help or at least coach him in the art of keeping it clean. Does it bother him? I'd say check for junk hiding in the folds at his next bath time and then maybe some rash cream to help the area heal.
  • dec15mumdec15mum member
    edited February 2016
    Yeah my DS looks the same, it's never bothered him. Could be just the pressure of sitting in a nappy with pee, or maybe because they need to pee. I've never been worried about it though because he's not in pain 
    ETA that there's nothing stuck around my son's foreskin he's perfectly clean there
  • Loading the player...
  • DS1 had a bit of redness at the tip of his penis as a baby, and I remember being concerned about it as well. It didn't seem to bother him though. I did mention it to his doctor, but I can't remember what he said...must not have been a big deal. I don't recall needing anything other than regular diaper cream for it. DS2 seems to be getting a bit red at the end too, and I will mention it when we go in for his shots (he's had a cold, so we've delayed them) and let you know what the doc tells me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks, ladies!  The doctor called back and said he felt it was just irritation from being in a diaper, especially since he is totally not bothered by it.  Recommended allowing him to freeball a bit to let everything air out.  Also said I could dab a bit of butt paste on it.  Good to hear this isn't uncommon with little guys.  
  • Sorry If I'm not much help, my LO is a girl lol but I notice she gets a little rosey down there if she has a pretty full wet diaper. I too think it's just from sitting in the wet diaper because after a diaper change with some wipes or bath it goes away. Probably just a little irritated since our urine can be pretty acidic at times