January 2016 Moms

Snack Attack

What are your go-to snacks these days? Personally, I am hungry 24/7. I never had such intense hunger during pregnancy and I seriously can't eat another granola bar, haha. 

I need inspiration. I portioned out trail mix in tiny containers and I eat a 1/2 cup of yogart/day. I also make breakfast burritos with bell peppers/feta/eggs. I feel like I should have gained 20 lbs by now grazing all day long. Thank God BF burns calories. 

Suggestions for filling snacks? What can you not live without? 

Re: Snack Attack

• I eat a lot of fruit, bananas, clementines, apples, and then for crunchy stuff I like veggie straws, wasabi peas, almonds. I'd like something with peanut butter but prefer the quick grab snacks since my LO screams all the time. Maybe I could make my own? Time to Pinterest ideas or if anyone has recommendations :)
  • Hard boiled eggs, Luna bars, baked oatmeal, turkey meatballs with brown rice, cheese sticks, protein powder, bananas, carrots, salad (well... romaine lettuce with dressing) and chocolate chips by the handful :wink: 
  • Loading the player...
  • Meatballs and rice sound awesome and quick. 
  • I am also so much hungrier while breastfeeding than I ever was pregnant. It seems like the hunger let up at some point when I was nursing DS1 but can't remember when. I'm doing weight watchers bc all that hunger led to weight GAIN while I was on maternity leave with DS1 and I do not want a repeat of that. WW is forcing me to make healthier snack choices, so that's great. At the beginning of each week I cut up a ton of fruit and bag it up in the fridge -- grapes, blueberries, honeydew, cantaloupe, pineapple, strawberries and kiwi. Light cool whip for dipping if I want a sweet treat. I also have clementines, bananas and apples on the counter for grab and go snacking. If I need something more filling, I'm going for boiled eggs, low fat string cheese, or peanut butter on wheat toast with a banana. Veggie straws or goldfish crackers when I'm craving something salty.

@haileesneed to know more about this baked oatmeal! 
  • I keep sliced apples and cheddar cheese in the fridge, yogurts, and carnation instant breakfasts for my chocolate fix. Also, turkey, cheese and avocado sandwiches. YUM. 
  • Baked oatmeal: I use this recipe, omitting hemp seeds and protein powder. I use maple syrup instead of honey and top with chocolate chips because yum. They can be easily frozen or stores in fridge. I microwave for 1 min before eating. They're a little dry and not the greatest thing in the world but when baby is screaming and momma is hungry it's a great, healthy breakfast! 
    https://www.thehealthymaven.com/2015/02/customizable-protein-packed-oatmeal-cups.html#_a5y_p=3462159

Turkey meatballs: these can also be frozen! I usually add more spices and garlic, use fresh cilantro/parsley when possible, and do not use marinara sauce. Super yummy, especially if you get the Italian pre seasoned ground turkey (it's high in sodium so I usually use 1lb of the pre seasoned and 1lb plain). 
    https://www.iamthatlady.com/turkey-meatballs-recipe/?m

I also remembered a favorite quick snack, lunch meat with cheese! Basically lots and lots and lots of protein with healthy carbs and fruits/veggies. 

Happy eats :) 

• I mainly snack on yoghurt, chocolate cereal bars and junk food. But now oats have been mentioned I remember we used to make overnight oat pots when we used to have earlier starts in our old jobs. Super quick easy and tasty. We tried all the fancy ones but always went back to simple frozen berries chucked on top. Might have to restart making them!

FYI check the calorie count on peanut butter ones before you chow down. I realised one was 800 calories after eating... 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/samimain/overnight-oats-recipes-to-restore-your-faith-in-breakfast?utm_term=.niqZOq4Alx
  • I've never been so damn hungry in my life! Baby girl is lactose intolerant so my options are limited.
    Cheese- i can't have it anymore obviously but it's packed with calcium protien and fat
    Yogurt- same deal! Except I'll be making a trip for yogurt made with almond and coconut milk
    Nuts
    Beans
    Whole grains- you can make some brown rice or qouinoa well LO is sleeping and add mix ins in a flash. Sweet or savory! Its a great vehicle for leftovers.
    Tuna- also can be made ahead if you like tuna sandwiches. I'm not crazy about the stuff, but with a little squeeze of lemon on a salad its not terrible
    Hard boiled eggs

• I'm so impressed at all your healthy snacking! Baby is 2 and a half weeks and I'm so sleep deprived I crave sugar all the time. I eat plenty of other stuff too but I've been eating a big daily bowl of lucky charms to help satisfy my sugar cravings. I'm trying to be healthy besides that but I am starving 24/7 and running out if ideas of things to eat. Nothing really sounds good besides chocolate and sugar though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so impressed at all your healthy snacking! Baby is 2 and a half weeks and I'm so sleep deprived I crave sugar all the time. I eat plenty of other stuff too but I've been eating a big daily bowl of lucky charms to help satisfy my sugar cravings. I'm trying to be healthy besides that but I am starving 24/7 and running out if ideas of things to eat. Nothing really sounds good besides chocolate and sugar though.
    That was me in the beginning too, then any time I craved chocolate instead I grabbed an apple. After not having chocolate for awhile it became easier to resist!

We don't buy sweets anymore  :'(
  • Power to all you ladies having time to grab snacks! I'm lucky if I get a yogurt or glass of water in. During the day she mostly wants her naps on me and to feed almost every hour. I have a hard time leaving her in her swing when she's crying. I manage to hold my bathroom trips to just twice until dad comes home 
  • Power to all you ladies having time to grab snacks! I'm lucky if I get a yogurt or glass of water in. During the day she mostly wants her naps on me and to feed almost every hour. I have a hard time leaving her in her swing when she's crying. I manage to hold my bathroom trips to just twice until dad comes home 
    Same here!  I'm also so exhausted from nursing 24/7 that I have barely any appetite.  Today I only managed two meals :(

• @StephEppie put LO in some kind of baby carrier! My daughter sleeps beautifully in hers
  • I need to start stashing trail mix or something in the nursery. My first early morning feeding, around 4am or so, makes me so incredibly nauseous, it's like I'm fighting a hangover. 
  • 5-6 spoonfuls of Nutella. Good for the sanity. 
    I'd seriously eat the container!  B)
  • Right now it cheetos which isn't helping the 20+pounds I still need to lose!
  • I don't know if my hunger is all from nursing or being bored, sitting on the couch nursing or snuggling the baby all day I just eat non stop.  When we have something to do and I leave the house I eat so much less. I did just buy some different flavored mini rice cakes and those were good, other than that lunch meat roll ups, granola bars (as soon as I don't have a sick toddler I am going to make some of my own) and popcorn.
  • Not breastfeeding but I could eat all day 
    bowls of chips 
    m&ms
    oreos 

LO has a 6th sense -if I even think of leaving him alone he wakes up and cries :(
  • @carlyhammond yep, she doesn't want me to eat.  I've tried explaining that I have to eat to make food for her, but she just won't listen to reason, lol
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Seriously! It's true.
    I wait until SO comes home on break at 3:30 to eat because otherwise I cant. Baby is asleep- 
    Make a bowl of cereal - cries-
    baby is asleep - start laundry - cries 
    can't win lol 
    i need to figure out how to use my carrier so I can leave the bedroom 
  • Love my wrap for this reason. 
  • I swear I've reverted back to my 4-year-old self. All I want is pizza and McDonald's Chicken Nuggets.
    I feel like I should own stock in FiberOne products, too, but hey! They help!
  • I've gone through so many boxes of cereal bars. And sausages, I cook up a whole batch and warm a couple up to put in some bread when I get a chance. My MIL also made me a truckload of lactation cookies for my supply, not the healthiest with all the chocolate chips but delicious, and I just tell myself they're for the baby!
  • I have major carb cravings all day long probably from lack of sleep. It's crazy!
  • This is me to a T! All I crave is sugar and chocolate!  I know it's terrible and I'm going to teyvsome of the suggestions