Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Baby prefers formula over breastmilk?

Please help!! My daughter is 3.5 months old and from the beginning I have been pumping milk for her (couldn't nurse) and supplementing with formula. All of the sudden she is now refusing my bottles of breastmilk but will still eat formula, and I have no idea why! I have been working hard to increase my milk supply so I don't have to supplement and now for some reason she doesn't want my milk. I haven't changed my diet at all, I've tried mixing the breastmilk with formula but she still won't take it. Does anyone know what could be causing this, or what I can do to try and get her to talk my milk? I'm desperate!! 

I should note that I've never freezed my milk, and she always gets it fresh or after it has been in the refrigerator for no more than 48 hours. I always try the milk when she rejects it and it tastes perfectly fine! No lipase taste, and it hasn't spoiled. 

Re: Baby prefers formula over breastmilk?

• Options
    The only thing I can think of is trying to switch formula. Which brand do you use? Formula is made sweet and I've heard some are sweeter than others. I read about organic formula being sweeter because of the cane sugar rather than corn syrup. That could be the problem. Otherwise I don't know. Good luck. 
  • Options

Thank you for the input! We are actually using Nutramigen right now, which seems as though it would taste awful since it smells awful. She has been on nutramigen since about 7 weeks due to bad gas from previously having been on Enfamil Gentlease. She's been getting about 50% breastmilk or more since the beginning though, and I've never cut down on dairy myself, so I think it was the formula making her gassy and not a dairy/protein intolerance. We are actually going to start weaning her back on to a regular formula this week (Baby's Only Organic) to see how that goes.

The weird thing is that she will drink half a bottle of my breastmilk before she suddenly starts to refuse it. I don't know if it's causing her a tummy ache or some sort of pain that the formula isn't causing? And I don't know why after 3.5 months this would just suddenly start happening.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Strange I dunno. Breastmilk always smelled better to me than formula. My Lil guy never cared just prefered bottles over boobs by 4 months. Good luck with the transition.