May 2016 Moms
Options

Two-fer.

Because I have two topics and didn't feel like clogging the board with more than one post.

1. To make a long story short, my doctor said to increase my protein intake. I know this can be done with foods but what about protein shakes? I bought Special K protein shakes the other day and wanted to know if this is a safe thing for pregnant women to consume? The only thing I noticed is it does contain some sucralose. Not sure how much. Are any of you ladies drinking these or have any thoughts?

2. I posted earlier about cellulite which I have a TON of since becoming pregnant.. but I've also noticed that my legs, thighs and butt are extremely hard. My SO noticed this weeks ago when he "love taps" me on the rear. I have also recently noticed my arms are hard.. Now mind you, I do not work out so this is not due to muscles by any means! Believe me. What is going on and has anyone else noticed this feeling or change? :/

Re: Two-fer.

• Options
    @TXmamatobe I never considered adding kefir (DS loves it), awesome suggestion. 

I love unsweetened vanilla coconut milk, a small scoop of Greek yogurt, PB2, and a banana, once it is blended it tastes like a milkshake and is amazing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why not try making a protein based smoothie? Almost every morning I make one with PB2, a banana, plain Greek yogurt or kefir (tons of protein) almond or coconut milk and a little honey and ice. I add chia seeds for even more protein and fiber. If you mix it right it seriously tastes like a dessert. :p Those pre-made shakes and smoothies are not all that great for you really. 

Because I'm lazy and never have time in the morning, I always make myself late for work, lol. But I suppose I could try making my own and just get up early enough. Thank you!
  • Options
    @kp90 I prep shake ingredients in ziplock bags so that I just have to dump and blend. You can prep them on Sunday, then have them throughout the week. 

Also-- you may not be working out, but your legs and butt are still probably gaining muscle tone from carrying around the extra weight and needing to rebalance constantly as you grow. I noticed this in my butt and legs each time, though my arms didn't really tone up last time until DS was born. Now my arms are considerably stronger than they ever were from so much baby, then/now toddler lifting and carrying.
  • Options
    Also needing to add more protein - I have some plant based protein powder from Wholefoods. My doc said it was okay. I second PP's if you can get it from yogurt or nuts that's best but I like to give my shake a boost once and awhile when I need it. The Special K are probably more processed if you want. 

I wish my butt was getting firm! I've just got lots of new cellulite on my thighs. 
  • Options
    I have been drinking breakfast essentials almost every day since going into pre term labor because I was told to and also I drank ensure with my first almost every day because I couldn't take prenatals :) hope this helps ! 
  • Options
    I have been drinking breakfast essentials almost every day since going into pre term labor because I was told to and also I drank ensure with my first almost every day because I couldn't take prenatals :) hope this helps ! 

Thank you @sparkledonuts were yours Special K brand? if not, do you know if they contained sucralose? or any of the artificial sweetners. That's my only concern but they're so much easier to just grab and head out the door. I've also heard of ensure but I used to give this to patients at nursing homes and the thought of me drinking it turns my stomach, lol.
  • Options
    I would check with the type of protein in any protein supplement.  Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with soy-based protein because it contains phytoestrogen and can supposedly mess with baby's hormones.
  • Options
    Sucralose is fine during pregnancy.
  • Options
    I'd personally try to get protein from more whole food sources. If you don't eat meat, yogurt, nuts, beans, and eggs are good sources.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I use the Target Market Pantry brand vanilla whey protein powder, but I did need to get my doctor to clear it first (there is a warning label on it, but the doc assured me all the ingredients are safe). I mix the powder into oatmeal, make shakes and smoothies, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use soy protein powder in my morning smoothie to up my protein. Protein powders are usually pretty safe but if you aren't sure, check out the label.
  • Options
    @kp90 I have been drinking the carnation breakfast essentials and I don't see that on the label .. I also have special k as well in my pantry because my fiancé prefers those and I don't see it on that label either I also make sure I drink at least one 32oz Powerade a day as well which is what they told me before I left the hospital it protein shakes and Powerade/Gatorade as water alone clearly wasn't doing it for me
  • Options
    I consume all the sucralose.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    kp90 said:
    Why not try making a protein based smoothie? Almost every morning I make one with PB2, a banana, plain Greek yogurt or kefir (tons of protein) almond or coconut milk and a little honey and ice. I add chia seeds for even more protein and fiber. If you mix it right it seriously tastes like a dessert. :p Those pre-made shakes and smoothies are not all that great for you really. 

Because I'm lazy and never have time in the morning, I always make myself late for work, lol. But I suppose I could try making my own and just get up early enough. Thank you!
    You can premake smoothies for the week and freeze them. Set out one the night before in the fridge and it will be ready in the morning.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    saraleigh2saraleigh2 member
    edited February 2016
    We should all be eating between 80-110g of protein a day depending on your weight to provide enough for you and LO and help reduce the risk of pre-e. 

I try to add extra protein by choosing snacks like string cheese, Greek yogurt, walnuts, other nuts, peanut & almond butter, hard boiled eggs, bean dip instead of salsa, etc

I also make sure each of my main meals includes a protein serving or 2: your usual suspects- chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, pork, fish. If I have soup I try for lentil or something with protein too and I add sides of beans/lentils instead of rice etc to my meals. When I do eat grains/carbs I eat ones that are high fiber and that have protein -quinoa and brown rice (trader joes even has quinoa/brown rice pasta), Ezekiel bread (4g protein per slice), etc 

i like canned salmon also- can be used like tuna in many recipes -sandwiches, caseroles, salmon cakes etc (cheap, loaded w/protein and other goodies)

i hope this helps!!! 
  • Options

You ladies make my diet look absolutely terrible and that's scares me that I haven't been providing my body and my LO the nutrients we both need this entire time :/ I have been taking my prenatal though since day 1 but working full time and keeping up with house work, my SO and our pets... at the end of the day I have little to no energy to put into meals. This makes me feel like a crappy mother already. Ugh. :( Props to all of you who make the time and put in effort to being so healthy though.. I don't know why I can't get my act together. I seriously feel like I need a maid, personal chef, assistant, pet sitter, etc. and I don't even have my child here with me yet. Makes me panic for the future..What. Is. My. Problem?! :(

• Options
    kp90 said:

You ladies make my diet look absolutely terrible and that's scares me that I haven't been providing my body and my LO the nutrients we both need this entire time :/ I have been taking my prenatal though since day 1 but working full time and keeping up with house work, my SO and our pets... at the end of the day I have little to no energy to put into meals. This makes me feel like a crappy mother already. Ugh. :( Props to all of you who make the time and put in effort to being so healthy though.. I don't know why I can't get my act together. I seriously feel like I need a maid, personal chef, assistant, pet sitter, etc. and I don't even have my child here with me yet. Makes me panic for the future..What. Is. My. Problem?! :(

Hey KP - We're all doing the best we can!  We all have up and downs with our diets and meals. I eat relatively healthy meals, but I also have a sweet tooth!  I also don't exercise for fears of preterm labor.  But - I'm still pregnant and baby looks great.  There are only 24hrs in the day - and I know I feel like I could sleep 12 of those some days! 
    My husband has been doing the grocery shopping this pregnancy, and that has helped me plan meals ahead of time.  I plan 2 healthy dinners in the 5day work week. The other days we eat leftovers or something easy - tomato soup, omelets, or freezer meal.  This week we are eating turkey chili.  (well, this week is one homemade meal!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    @Jennys86 I don't mean anything negative by that I just wish I had half the energy that some of you ladies do to keep up with healthy eating habits. I never realized how hard it would be during pregnancy and I know I've gained probably more weight that I should be because of poor eating habits. I just want to ensure I have a healthy LO and I don't put her at risk for anything due to my laziness and bad eating habits. I know I'm going to have to work my butt off after LO arrives. Just praying for some energy to make the best of these last couple months.
  • Options
    saraleigh2saraleigh2 member
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, don't feel bad!!! I ate pizza last night :wink: (then I ate 2 string cheese sticks to be sure I had enough protein) there's nothing wrong w/you it is a lot to work, and keep up w/pets, house etc you are pregnant!!!! I told hubs that the pets were now entirely his jobsnd so is his laundry. And we have let the house get filthy and the laundry pile up many weeks in a row!

When I can't cook- I open a can of salmon or beans, organic soup etc I steam veggies in the microwave, and cook my quinoa etc on the weekends or buy the pre made package that goes in the microwave (whole foods) I often eat stuff that's bland because I don't have time to jazz up my healthy food but I know it's good for me... 

And sometimes i eat eat chick fill a and ice cream!!!! And I count the protein from my fried chicken and my ice cream toward my daily protein goal! Lol

You are not lazy, being pregnant is REALLY HARD, just try to see what you can let go of doing, only do what you absolutely have to. I hate to waste but we are using disposable plates because I don't have the energy for dishes. I've discovered dry shampoo so I only wash my hair 2x wk, use the same pants 3-4x before washing, I'm cutting corners where ever I can! Hang in there!!! 

Edited because i got interrupted before finishing my post.
  • Options
    Don't feel bad about your diet! For all the fancy whole foods meals I eat there's definitely a night of three slices of cake for dinner.
    Like previous posters have said- pregnancy is HARD! We're doing the best we can!