July 2016 Moms
Options

A stupid, stupid GD question

So. Let me start off by saying I HATE my doctors office but its all my insurance will cover. 

Backstory:
They gave me that glucose drink for the gestational diabetes test right? Told me to take it my next apt. Well I told my Dr about my bladder (since my UTI I have been having to pee a LOT still), he filled me a prescription to make it so I don't have to feel like I have to go so much, and he would see me again in 2 weeks to see if it got better or if I had an infection. I forgot to ask him if I was also going to be taking the GD test then. I called and they were like "Well if he gave it to you that means you take it and don't eat before hand" Which they NEVER told me in the office. But whatever. They rescheduled my apt time so I will drink it whether I need to or not I guess.

My main concern is I suppose and my question, will drinking the drink more than once in a few weeks for any reason hurt anything? I have PCOS so there is a risk of GD.. and I was told the test is supposed to be 24-28 weeks not 22. I don't want to drink it more than I have to if it can hurt something.

Re: A stupid, stupid GD question

• Options
    It's not going to hurt anything. Many ladies have to do it earlier because they are at higher risk for GD. All it is is a super sweet drink. I wouldn't worry :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    You are good. I had to take it early (16wks) this go around because I had GD with my last pregnancy and I will be taking it again in 7wks.

Also in a month or so you will see a ton of people "fail"  the 1hr and have to take a 3hr so many people will have to drink it more than once.  No harm.  
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So quick question, if you pass the 1hr one do you have to take the 3 hr one?
  • Options
    @oneliloaktree13 nope. If you pass the 1hr in 3rd tri you are good. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys! I pretty well know they won't give me anything that would hurt the baby in moderation at least. I just figured if it was more than the normal amount, you know. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    They gave it to me before my 3rd tri so I'm guessing they're do one more. 
  • Options
    The 1hr is more of a screening. If you fail it, it does NOT mean you have GD. With my first two I failed the 1hr horribly. The cut off was 140 and my numbers were in the 180s and I went on to pass the 3hr no problem. I did fail the 3hr with my third and had GD which is why I had to take it early this go around.  I passed it at 16wks but they make you take it again in 3rd tri because GD is when your body has problems processing sugars because of hormones and placenta. Early 3rd tri is when hormones are at its highest.  
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    kdm06c said:
    The 1hr is more of a screening. If you fail it, it does NOT mean you have GD. With my first two I failed the 1hr horribly. The cut off was 140 and my numbers were in the 180s and I went on to pass the 3hr no problem. I did fail the 3hr with my third and had GD which is why I had to take it early this go around.  I passed it at 16wks but they make you take it again in 3rd tri because GD is when your body has problems processing sugars because of hormones and placenta. Early 3rd tri is when hormones are at its highest.  
    Yeah, I passed the first one, so I think to be safe I can see them testing me again with another 1 hour in my 3rd. They were concerned about my weight so wanted to check early on. 
  • Options
    Sorry lady but yea I'm almost positive they will be testing you again because it can develop later on which is why testing in 3rd tri is standard. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    kdm06c said:
    Sorry lady but yea I'm almost positive they will be testing you again because it can develop later on which is why testing in 3rd tri is standard. 
    Maybe I'll pass this one too ha. I really don't want to sit at the dr's for 3 hours, unless it gets me out of work and I have a good book.
  • Options
    So if you do test positive for GD what precautions are taken? What happens after? Besides altering your diet I suppose?
  • Options
    It seems like just monitoring your diet for the most part. That's what Dr. Google says. 
  • Options
    nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited February 2016
    @ninji15 I had to change my diet to low carbs and check my sugars multiple times a day.  I had to meet with a nutritionist once and I saw my endocrinologist every two weeks at first and then every week towards the very end. She was the one to make sure my sugars were in check and I didn't need medicine to help. My GD was diet controlled.  At 32wks I had to have an extra ultrasound to check the baby's growth and I started Non Stress Tests (they put monitors on your belly to check for baby's movement, heart rate, and contractions)  every two weeks and then moved to every week once closer to the end as well.  Once the baby was here his sugars were checked for 48hrs to make sure he was OK. I also had to REDO the 1hr 6wks after to make sure my sugars were normal again. 

It was incredibly overwhelming for the first week but once I got the hang of everything it honestly wasn't bad at all.  

ETA Also most OB's will not let you go past 40wks if you have GD. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @kdm06c that sounds overwhelming. I am on insulin resistance medicine now (metformin) but I expect it may not make up for my not so stellar eating habbits at times. It freaks me out and I am trying. Hoping I will pass but I am expecting not to.  :(
  • Options
    nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited February 2016
    @ninji15 the crazy thing about GD is that you can have the cleanest diet in the world and still have it and need medicine to help control it. It's completely hormone related. 

I know it sounds super overwhelming but in reality it's really not. You can basically eat anything you want but you just have to do it in smaller portions.  Also pairing carbs (which includes starches and sugars) with protein is super important. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @kdm06c I will keep all this in mind. :) Thank you for being so helpful!!
  • Options
    Yes, yes, yes to what @PugsandKisses said---no one should feel "bad" if they develop GD.  It's hormone-related, and moms that eat great diets develop it (and moms that live on jellybeans and cheetos don't!).  The 1 hour is a "screen" that is supposed to pick up anyone that could possibly have it, while the 3h is the "confirmation" which determines a definitive yes/no.  

Also---no harm in drinking the stuff.  It's actually not a huge dose of sugar (although it tastes like it!), but it has no OTHER calorie sources (no protein or fiber), so it affects your blood sugar quickly.
  • Options
    I live on cape cod chips and humus. That might be how I passed.
  • Options

mmmmmmm, glucose drink....

the simpsons homer simpson mmm drool

• Options
    I'm glad there is a thread for this topic.....has anyone's providers suggested there is a  possibility for GD, without taking the test yet? At my anatomy scan the doctor who reviewed the results said GD could always be a possibility because LO is measuring 10 days ahead, but my midwife has never said anything to me about detecting sugar in my urine tests. I didn't have GD with my first pregnancy so hoping it doesn't happen this time either. But now that the doctor put it in my head I'm super anxious to talk to my midwife next week about scheduling my 1hr test.
  • Options
    nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited February 2016
    @MDmomma1217 those that have a family history of diabetes, are overweight, or have had GD before are at a higher risk of having it but the only way to know for sure is to be tested. Measuring slightly ahead doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

Also I did have GD and my OB never detected sugar in my urine. It was found by the blood test.  
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    kdm06c said:
    @MDmomma1217 those that have a family history of diabetes, are overweight, or have had GD before are at a higher risk of having it but the only way to know for sure is to be tested. Measuring slightly ahead doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

Also I did have GD and my OB never detected sugar in my urine. It was found by the blood test.  
    Thank you @kdm06c - I have a family history but I don't fit the other criteria. Good to know that it may not come up in a urine test. 
  • Options
    kdm06c said:

Thank you @kdm06c - I have a family history but I don't fit the other criteria. Good to know that it may not come up in a urine test. 
    Sugar in your urine does not usually occur until your glucose is about 250.