January 2016 Moms

Birth Control

I searched and couldn't find anything so sorry if this thread is already been started. I just had my six week check and its time to start thinking about birth control. I'm wanting something hassle free, so I'm looking at either an iud or the implant. I would love feed back from anyone that's had experience with either of these. I'm wanting to know how they effect weight, if there is pain caused by them, any pros and cons will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Birth Control

• Lurking from D15
    I had mirena put in a few days after my 6 week check. I didn't find insertion painful at all, however I also can't even tell when my OBGYN is doing a pap smear. There was some mild cramping for the rest of the afternoon/evening and some spotting.
    Less than a week after I had it put in I started a light period that was mostly on and off spotting for four weeks which was unpleasant in that it kept tricking me into thinking it was done but wasn't painful. I'm in the fifth week and have occasional brown spotting. My doctor said irregular periods would be normal the first few months and that they should lighten and could even go away.
    I've lost about ten pounds of pregnancy weight in the month I've had it.
  • My doctor put me on a low dose birth control pill for now, and scheduled my iud insertion for next month. He said that he recommends the mirena for me, as the hormones are localized so it shouldn't interfere with milk production. We discussed the depo shot, but because the hormones are systemic through the injection, it could interfere with breast feeding. I think just talk it over with your doctor and discuss what is important to you and they should be able to match you up.
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends on you. I had Mirena before having a baby. The insertion was very painful, but that was because I hadn't had a baby. I felt horrible for about 30 minutes after. I was lightheaded, had bad crampimg, and had to sit the office waiting room for awhile. Afterwards I had very heavy bleeding. After that I have very light periods only a few times a year. Having it taken out wasn't bad either. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • Is the minipill or the other breastfeeding safe pills not as effective as regular pills?  Otherwise why wouldn't they be the ones that are always prescribed?
  • @ChrissyD1203 the mini pill is only effective if taken at the same time everyday and even then, isn't as effective as the other pills with both hormones. When used in conjunction with bf and taken on time daily, I think it's 97% effective . 
  • Thanks! Plan on discussing with my OB tomorrow, but that's helpful! @ainverso
  • Is the minipill or the other breastfeeding safe pills not as effective as regular pills?  Otherwise why wouldn't they be the ones that are always prescribed?
    Same as what @ainverso said, if you miss it by over an hour you have to use a back up method for 2 weeks. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to use it. I went back on the pill because that is what I am used to. I was on the pill for 5 years before I went off to get pregnant. We got pregnant in the first try so obviously the pill did not affect that for me.
  • melturz said:
    Is the minipill or the other breastfeeding safe pills not as effective as regular pills?  Otherwise why wouldn't they be the ones that are always prescribed?
    Same as what @ainverso said, if you miss it by over an hour you have to use a back up method for 2 weeks. I set an alarm on my phone to remind me to use it. I went back on the pill because that is what I am used to. I was on the pill for 5 years before I went off to get pregnant. We got pregnant in the first try so obviously the pill did not affect that for me.
    You actually only need to use a backup form of contraception for 48 hours and the window for needing backup is if you are three hours late or more  taking the pill.