Postpartum Depression

Breastfeeding and depression meds

I am currently 28 weeks and due May 12th.  When I got pregnant I was on 20 mg of Lexapro and 20 mg of Abilify and with the guidance of my docs I am now on 5 mg of Lexapro and 2.5 mg of Abilify.  My docs have all said to stay on my meds through my pregnancy and into postpartum since I am at such a high risk for postpartum depression.   My OB has mentioned that I might not be able to breastfeed due to my medications and the baby getting them through the milk.  I have talked to the pedi and they said they won't know anything until the baby is here.  I am wondering if anyone has had luck with BF while on depression medications.  I know everyone is different but any experiences you have to share would help me tremendously.  Thanks!!

Re: Breastfeeding and depression meds

• I too am on medication. Abilify lexapro and lamictal. My doctor is looking to see if it is safe with lamictal. My friend was on lexapro 20 mg and was able to breastfeed.
  • I too am on medication. Abilify lexapro and lamictal. My doctor is looking to see if it is safe with lamictal. My friend was on lexapro 20 mg and was able to breastfeed.
  • Loading the player...
  • There is an app called lactmed and a website called infant risk good luck
  • I take 50mg of Zoloft and can bf fine.

BabyFetus Ticker 
    Little dude will be here before we know it!

• I am on 50 mg of Zoloft too (sertraline, generic) and have breastfed my firstborn in it & currently breastfeeding my second baby at seven months old. I took med for years before firstborn, during both pregnancies, and continue to take it now. Doctors had said it was okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was able to breastfeed while on Prozac although he spit up a lot and I'm not sure if it was related
  • Also doing zoloft and its compatible with breastfeeding.
  • I was on abilify and brintellix for my bipolar and vyvanse for my ADHD and stopped all meds when ttc. I'm actually trying to research what meds I can take for breastfeeding right now. One thing I would warn you is that abilify is known for causing low milk supply. So that's one thing to definitely research with any med you take.