April 2016 Moms

Ways to make C-section special

i did a search and couldn't find this one.
My baby still hasn't turned on his own at almost 35 weeks. The doctor really didn't sound confident that he will turn. He has plenty of room to do so... He's just too comfortable doing his own thing (just like his parents!). I know he still could turn and I'm trying to help him, but I also love to plan!
Anyway... Now I find myself planning an alternate c-section birth plan (which I know we should all do just in case). But for you ladies who have had C-sections, did you do anything to "make it special". Have any tips of does and don'ts? Or just want to share your story? I'm thinking it would be freaky to be operated on while awake... It's actually a reoccurring nightmare of mine...

First time mom's who know you'll need one already, any decisions you've made or want that are out of the norm?

Re: Ways to make C-section special

• I know that some places have clear curtains now, and you can usually do skin to skin right after birth. Google "gentle cesarean" or something to that affect. I think you can also request that your arms not be strapped down. (I didn't do any of this with my section almost 8 years ago and so wish I had!!!)

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• I'm a FTM but I talked to my doctor about the process and options offered in that hospital. I was thing something along the lines of a gentle c section but not all options maybe possible. My hospital is big on kangaroo care (skin to skin). We will get to see our baby boy coming out and once he's cleaned up we will take some quick pictures as they close me up. For about 20 after that my DH will have the baby while I get finished up and moved to recovery room. We will be there for an hour and we can try breastfeeding and start bonding with our baby. I must say I am about jealous he'll be with the baby right after but it's good and I'm actually trying to encourage him to do skin to skin too.
  • Loading the player...
  • I also agree with googling natural c/s. It's part of my birth plan, if we have to go the c/s route. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My hospital allows immediate skin-to-skin on the chest after a C-section as they close up the incision. They place the curtain a little lower than usual and leave your arms out and free on that side as well. That is part of my back up plan in case I end up with a C-section.
  • I was able to do skin to skin right away and they even had her rest on me to breastfeed while they were sewing me up. There were times when they took the baby to do their normal things with the baby and MH had her skin to skin right after.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Thank you OP for starting this thread.  I'm in the same boat, I'm 33 weeks now and baby hasn't turned.  The Dr tells me there's plenty of time and room so there is definitely potential for turning.  I guess baby already has dad's directional skills, haha.  I hadn't thought about ways to make the process of a c-section "special" but I will now definitely be asking my Dr if they can put the baby on my chest immediately after and leave my arms free (I had no clue your arms weren't free!!).  I will also talk to DH about him doing skin to skin with baby in the event I can't.  I don't think I could do the see through curtain though, I'm so squeamish with blood and guts.
  • Our curtain is not see through they will only lower it enough to see the baby come out. Nothing else
  • I'm 34 weeks and my baby has been transverse/ oblique for over a month and appears very comfortable in this position... Good chance I may need a c-section too. I'm not sure exactly what you meant by "making it special"? 
  • @thaisac1  I think OP means "special" in how much contact you get to have with baby immediately after he/she is removed from the womb.
  • I'm having a scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. I was really hoping to wait until 39 weeks but due to some issues with Gestational Diabetes, it seems all doctors agree this is what's best. Unfortunately, I don't get the privilege of skin-to-skin, there is an expectation that my son will be in the NICU right after he's born. The only thing that the doctors were willing to agree to is delayed cord clamping. With that said, I really encourage you to talk to your OB and find out what hospital policies are and what they are willing to consider. Ask your doctor to set the stage for what to expect, he/she is probably more than willing to fill you in. Best of luck to you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Beautiful Daughter 11/08/2002
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
    Rainbow Sugar Baby due 04/22/2016, C Section Scheduled for 04/08/2016
  • Also, my OB allowed my husband to videotape the whole surgery procedure and my daughter coming out. She came out looking around the room with a disgruntled look on her face and her arms up signaling the kick is good.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I would find out what the hospital typically does for a CS.  It was discussed in our birthing class with DD so I was prepared when I ended up needing one.  This time I know what to expect and am a bit excited that it's planned and I won't have to deal with the endless labor I had with DD.  
  • Wow! I love the stories and the tips!
    And by special I guess I mean less clinical. Surgery is never thought of as "magical" however the birth of a child is often "rosily" described that way. Arms strapped down is definitely not special! Thanks for the heads up on that one! Yikes! Why do that do that?
  • Mine was an emergency C section but I was awake and the curtain was lowered just enough to see DS after they pulled him out. My OB had him placed on my chest immediately and told them to allow him to nurse. Even with a scheduled a c section this time around, I'm not exactly sure how to make it special. I just want to make sure he is healthy and ok and DH gets a ton of pics.  

• korpatch said:

Wow! I love the stories and the tips!
    And by special I guess I mean less clinical. Surgery is never thought of as "magical" however the birth of a child is often "rosily" described that way. Arms strapped down is definitely not special! Thanks for the heads up on that one! Yikes! Why do that do that?

ITs to make sure you're still, don't bump anything, etc. Still, I felt like I was on death row, because that's exactly how you're strapped down, arms out like a cross. I will say that this was 8 years ago and I've read that not all hospitals do this anymore.

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Wow! Well if one is inclined to freak out like me, strapping my arms down might be a great idea...
  • thaisac1 said:
    I'm 34 weeks and my baby has been transverse/ oblique for over a month and appears very comfortable in this position... Good chance I may need a c-section too. I'm not sure exactly what you meant by "making it special"? 
    @thaisac1  My first was transverse until 35 or 36 weeks... fingers crossed your baby flips!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I have a scheduled c section for March 31st at 39 weeks but I have yet to make it past 38 weeks with either of my first two. Scares me having to try and wait that long
  • I'm having a scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. I was really hoping to wait until 39 weeks but due to some issues with Gestational Diabetes, it seems all doctors agree this is what's best. Unfortunately, I don't get the privilege of skin-to-skin, there is an expectation that my son will be in the NICU right after he's born. The only thing that the doctors were willing to agree to is delayed cord clamping. With that said, I really encourage you to talk to your OB and find out what hospital policies are and what they are willing to consider. Ask your doctor to set the stage for what to expect, he/she is probably more than willing to fill you in. Best of luck to you.
    Just curious how they plan on delayed cord clamping if they won't do skin to skin. Like.... where will the baby lay if not on you? Just curious...
  • I think with a scheduled c-section, it's pretty important to manage expectations for family/visitors since they probably know exactly when you're going to be having the baby and may make strange assumptions about when to come to the hospital. (And make sure your SO is on board with your plan and doesn't think he can take baby out of the room to meet his family for like 3 hours while you're still stuck in bed cause that's a real thing that happened to someone and is not a good way to make things special.)
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• I have had a natural delivery and a planned c-section. I don't look back on the latter birth with any less wonder or "specialness" than the former. :) They really were both magical experiences. I understand why you might feel like it will be "less than" but I think you're worrying too much. The moment you see your baby out in the world for the first time is amazing however it happens! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @MamaRoniThat's a great question. With my first c-section I had to go under general anesthesia and my husband was not allowed to be in the room because I was put to sleep, so I have no idea what happens in there (other than the YouTube videos I've recently watched). I'm going to ask at my appointment tomorrow.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
  • @live4something They put you out? I thought that wasn't the general practice now a days. Would you recommend it or do you think being awake would be better? I hate going under... but I think having someone "play with my insides" while awake would almost be freakier.... 
  • korpatch said:
    @live4something They put you out? I thought that wasn't the general practice now a days. Would you recommend it or do you think being awake would be better? I hate going under... but I think having someone "play with my insides" while awake would almost be freakier.... 
    They put you out if it's an emergency case, as there is no time to deal with an epidural in this scenario.
  • Correct. It was an emergency situation. The epidural wouldn't take. I don't know if it was an issue with me or the anesthesiologist but after about four failed attempts of the epidural, we couldn't wait anymore.  I really can't compare it to anything, since it was my only birth. I can tell you, I was disappointed. The thought of being able to experience this birth is exciting. I pray I am awake. Yes, the whole idea of the tugging worries me a bit but being able to hear the first cry and seeing my little love right after he's born, all seems worth it. I was the last person to see and hold my daughter when I went under general. I was pretty groggy and I don't remember much. In the end, no matter what I have to go through, for him to make his grand entrance, it'll be worth it and the day that gave me so much anxiety will be looked back upon as one of the best days of my life.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Pregnancy20ticker
    Miscarriage 04/21/2015
  • Gonna hijack this post a bit to avoid creating a new one regarding c sections.

I've read and heard horror stories about Doctors not sowing up the muscles back during a c second which leaves ladies very unhappy. Has this happened to anyone? I asked my doctor yesterday and she told me that she just moves the muscle rather than cut (made me feel way better).
  • Honestly, I have no idea whether that might be true or not, but I don't think you could sever a muscle and not stitch it back together...how would that ever heal on it's own? I think that the procedure involves moving muscles, not cutting them. That's the understanding I've had. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They aren't supposed to cut the muscles... They cut skin and uterus right?
  • Might just be old stories I'm reading then. I should stay away from Google:/
  • Lurking from May board. I have to prepare for a csection too, in case placenta won't move.
    my doc at the hospital was very open to the concept of a gentle csection ( Google it!) which I found to be a great relief. Also: if possible ( if plsventaifplacenta stays intact) delayed cord clamping is even possible with a csection. That way Bub gets all the iron etc from the placenta. If you are interested in this you would have to discuss this prior as many hospitals have the policy to immediately cut and clamp during csection.