March 2016 Moms
Options

BTDT- what to do with LOs while at hospital

What are you guys doing with your other LOs when you go into labor? And while you're at the hospital?

I can't decide what to be doing, and I feel like a lot of it depends on what time of day I start having contractions or need to go into the hospital.  I have parents and grandparents nearby, but I know my mom wants to be in the delivery room with me (which I'm 100% fine with).  My dad will probably need to be at work until I actually have the baby (or at least am really close) And if it's in the middle of the night...I don't know if I should call and have someone come to our house?  Wake DS up and take him to someone else?  I feel bad waking my grandparents up in the middle of the night for that.  And I don't know if they're up for watching DS for 2 days straight either.

Just curious what everyone else's "plans" are.

Anniversary

Re: BTDT- what to do with LOs while at hospital

• Options
    If I end up being induced again, we plan for my grandma to keep Anabelle until I actually start pushing, then bring her to the hospital.  My grandma keeps her (she's almost 2 1/2) one day a week, so it's not out of the ordinary for her.  If I were to go in the middle of the night, I have an aunt and uncle that live a few miles away who've already volunteered to come to our house to stay with her.  She normally stays with my in-laws while I'm at work, so she'll be good to stay with them if that's the case and they wouldn't mind wrangling her at the hospital until my Grandma could take her back home or to her house.  It's weird having to have this whole set of plans this time around!  Last time, there was no one else to worry about!  
  • Options
    If it's during the day and M-F, then DD will go to daycare and this is what we are really hoping for.  If it's any other time, I'm hoping that my in laws can make it here in time so DD isn't in the delivery room with us, or at home with DH (which means I'll do it by myself... I'm quite ok with that although I know DH wants to be there).  Right now we are planning to have the in laws come up a week before my due date in case LO decides to come early.  DD won't be comfortable with anyone else other than us or the care takers at daycare.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will call my parents and they'll come watch my kids while I'm in labor, or at least my mom will.  Fortunately they are retired and just have part-time jobs that are flexible.  I have always gone into labor in the middle of the night and had to call and wake them, so I know it's not a big deal, there's just always that point when you're like 'is this really it??'  I don't want to get everyone up and go to the hospital just to find out I'm not truly in labor, but thankfully that hasn't happened yet.  I am more concerned this time because if it's a weekday there's a lot that goes into getting my kids ready for school, especially the 7 yr old who gets on the bus at 7:30, he's still really needy in the mornings and has to be coaxed along most of the time.  Plus there's deciding if he's packing or buying and then packing a lunch, remembering library books, tests, etc.  My 4 year old doesn't go to pre-school until 9, depending on the day, and honestly if he misses who really cares!  But anyway, after the baby is born my parents will bring the kids to come see her and from there we'll sort of play it by ear.  DH will definitely not be at the hospital with me 24/7, he'll be at home for bedtime/overnight/wakeup as long as baby and I are healthy and probably just come visit us in the hospital as much as he can during the day.  I would love to have his company but honestly he's much more needed at home during those times than at the hospital.  3 kids is a lot for my parents to handle doing dinner/baths/bed/overnight wakeups/ morning routines, etc.  It will be better for everyone if they can go home and get rest and come back and help out the next day.  Of course depending on the day or even if it's a weekend sports and birthday parties and all kinds of stuff factor in so our only real 'plan' is call my parents when I go into labor and they will help out as much as possible for the remainder of my hospital stay.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My mom will come up and take DD while we're in the hospital. She's an hour away though so if for some reason labor is fast and furious DD will stay with my cousin or DH's aunt while she's on her way to our house. Absolute worse case it's the middle of the night and we can't get anyone then we'll leave her with neighbors for a bit. DH won't stay at the hospital overnight though (it's about 10 mins from our house) so he'll likely have DD for the second night. 
  • Options
    We're calling my in laws, they'll be taking our daughter while I'm in labor. She loves sleeping over at nana and grandpa's anyway, so it'll be a big vacation for her. My MIL works during the week, but my FIL doesn't, so we are very fortunate to be able to rely on their help!

Which reminds me that I need to pack her a bag so she's all ready to go: last thing I want to do is have to make sure I remember to grab enough clean clothes for her when it's go time...
  • Options
    We will drop off at a friend's house regardless of the time, if he's early/mostly on time. If he's more than a few days late, my mom will be visiting and we will leave her at home with her. 
  • Options
    maelic said:
    We're calling my in laws, they'll be taking our daughter while I'm in labor. She loves sleeping over at nana and grandpa's anyway, so it'll be a big vacation for her. 
    My DD is the same way!  I'm glad she loves staying at her grandparents' house!  I don't want her to be one of those kids that won't sleep anywhere except at home.  She usually stays there once a week or at least once every two weeks for fun anyway, so she'll camp out with Gramma and Papa while her daddy stays with me and her new brother in the hospital. My DH really missed out on the first few days of DD's life because he had a lawnmower accident days before she was born, which caused my blood pressure to go up, which caused me to be induced!  That's a whole other story, but, anyway, he was on big time pain killers while we were in the hospital with her.  He doesn't want to miss it this time around.  Plus, my parents aren't far from the hospital, so DD will probably just be Gramma's tag along and come back and forth with her when she comes.  
  • Options
    my mom is coming to stay with the kiddos, as she has done the past couple babies. she won't drive at night though, and last time she came at 39w and baby was born at 41, so we were all on edge and at each other over petty shit. this time i asked if she would just come on my guess date, but if the baby gets here before then, i will call my in-laws or a friend to come stay if it is night time (which is my usual MO) or drop them somewhere (in-laws/friend) if it is day. this reminds me; i need to work out an "on-call" list with a few close friends!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama!