July 2015 Moms
Options

Swim lessons

Our LO will always be around a pool - my parents keep her and they have one and we always go over there on the weekends. I'm thinking of swim lessons but I question if the money is worth it. It's $81 a month for once a week. They teach baby how to float if they fall in and also breathing techniques. I guess I'm just questioning this bc can they really teach an 8 month old this? Anyone have their LO in lessons or planning to do so? Have yall heard of success with these classes? 

Re: Swim lessons

• Options
    Oh and I question if they money of worth it bc if it actually teaches them to float and how to survive. Of course it's worth it if it does!!
  • Options
    I've heard of ISR which I think is 4 or 5 times a week for 6 weeks...it's expensive but they learn how to self rescue. I think they teach them to roll over and float until help arrives. They start at 6 months and up. I'm considering doing it with DD. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also considering doing this, I've seen videos on YouTube of young babies swimming. Wow it's amazing how young they are, I think it's money well spent because it's their safety, especially if your little one will be around a pool. Our babies are very smart and if she likes water than its a plus! But you can always start with mommy and me classes and get her accustome and then jump to the other ones. Let us know what you choose and good luck! 
  • Options
    I can't wait to teach our daughter to swim. We were thinking about swim lessons but we decided to wait until she got bigger for that and we can teach her. I was a swim coach so I think it will be fun :D breathing exercises, floating and all of that is very important, so I do think teaching baby to swim is important.
  • Options
    Starting classes next week! So excited!
  • Options
    DS is in swim classes and has been since he was 2 months old. I definitely think that it is worth the money...it's a lot more than just teaching them to float. Check out this page: https://www.sosswim.com/blog/scientific-proof-of-the-benefits-of-baby-swimming. It has a lot of benefits, far beyond just motor skills!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing swim lessons at a local gym. We just started this month. My LO loves it. My husband and I are in the pool with him. It is so much fun. We pay $50/month for once a week lessons at a local gym. Do you have a YMCA in your area?  They were cheaper in my area at the Y, but their lesson times didn't work for our schedule. 
  • Options
    Thank you for all the responses! I signed her up. We start Tuesday...so excited!
  • Options
    We are definitely doing swimming lessons! all grandparents either have a pool or live right by a neighborhood pool so I need to know she will be ok if she falls in when they are watching her. I think it is worth the money. 
  • Options
    We do swimming lessons. We started at 6m old. I wanted to start sooner but with the holidays, I couldn't commit to the class times. Our daughter LOVES it!! She goes underwater, pops back up, and reaches for the wall at 7m. It's crazy how quickly they learn. There have also been some articles that say water babies helps neuro development as it gives them another texture, boyancy, etc. IDK if that's true but maybe.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Options
    (Lurking from Aug 16) 

Yes, definitely worth it! My husbands family owns a swim school and his uncle gives talks all around the world on the importance of teaching babies/small children water safety.  I'll be taking my little one to swim lessons around 3 months old.  Also, not the primary reason of course but, the underwater pictures you can capture are really cute too! 
  • Options
    TOTALLY WORTH IT! I have had my DD in mommy and me swimming lessons since 6 months and we just completed the first session (6 classes) and I already see that she is absorbing the lessons. If you are around water a lot I think it's an excellent way to bond with you and the baby, keep them safe and get them used to the water while they have no fear!