January 2016 Moms
Options

Switching from EBF to EP

Hi all. I know there are two threads about BF/Pumping/FF support, but I figured we could have a thread specifically for switching from EBF to EP. There's so much information that it might be helpful to have a specific place to offer info and support.
DH and I decided to experiment with LO today because we felt he maybe wasn't getting enough from BFing. Well, today he is a completely different baby. He's happy between feedings, content just chilling in his rock n play, on the boppy, or even on his back. All three were cause for tears before.
My question to anyone who has switched is....today I pumped 5oz in one session, but only 2oz the next. Will my body recognize the pump as the main method of removing milk and up the ounces after a few days of pumping on a schedule? I do believe I didn't drink enough water today as we were out and about this morning. Could this be the cause? Or could my supply be low anyhow? Luckily we have some frozen BM to help us get through a few days to figure out what's going on. I really hope my body recognizes the pump and I start to produce just 4oz per session...after all, that's all my little guy needs! 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - FiGB
Married DH 11/15/08
Formerly MissMheMhe

Re: Switching from EBF to EP

• Options
    I've been EP for five weeks and I'll have sessions where I'll get 8 or 9 oz and I'll have sessions where I only get 2 or 3. I think it depends on how long I've gone between pumps, how long I pump for, how hydrated I am, and I'm sure other factors like stress or LO crying come into play too. 
  • Options
    Totally agree with the above post. My output varies for all of those reasons as well. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies! I plan on pumping every 2hrs (3-4 at night) at first to try and up my supply. I also plan on getting in with a LC because I want LO checked for ties just in case. I would ideally like him on the boob, but realize if that isn't possible, EPing will work.
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies! I plan on pumping every 2hrs (3-4 at night) at first to try and up my supply. I also plan on getting in with a LC because I want LO checked for ties just in case. I would ideally like him on the boob, but realize if that isn't possible, EPing will work.
    Our little girl has changed big time since having her tongue tie sorted. Def worth looking at! She wouldn't settle at all beween feeds which were pretty constant! Now she will Lie on her back. , in crib or noses casket happily and she is sleeping more in between! Still early days but so glad we did it 
  • Options
    Yep! Depends how much water I've had, how much soda I've had (and need to lay off of), how long it has been since my last pump. I get smaller amts out at night because I'm not drinking as much water in the middle of the night vs daytime. But I will get anywhere from 2-5 1/2 oz out per boob per session. And stay calm about the fluctuations. I know the more I stressed about how much I was getting out the less I produced.
  • Options
    I'm considering switching to EP, right now I'm doing both, and supplementing with formula, but DS is a slow eater so feeding time takes forever, and I'm wondering if he'll get enough breast milk to leave out the formula if I pump on a schedule because I can always pump at least another ounce after a feed.

As for different amounts, I know supply is usually greater in the mornings, and lowest in the evening, so time of day will probably affect how much you pump. 
  • Options
    DS is 7 weeks and I've been EP since we came home from the hospital. Like others said it does vary pump to pump but it's crucial you don't go more than 3 hours to get your supply up. I pump every time he wakes at night. Also I suggest all things coconut. I drink coconut water once daily and I can tell if I haven't had it. Also I eat a tablespoon of it in the morning along with eating oatmeal. I'm pumping anywhere from 6-10 oz a pump. Those are just a couple ideas to get it up if you want. My little guy eats 4 oz bottles and I just freeze the rest. 
  • Options
    @Cejiml, do you eat coconut oil or straight coconut? I have been eating a serving of steel cut oatmeal every morning and am considering adding some coconut oil to it, but not sure how that would taste lol. I do like coconut water. How much do you drink daily? I usually buy a couple of the ones with pineapple added, but they are expensive! I might just have to bite the bullet, though.
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    I either blend it in my coffee or i put a tablespoon on the inside of my cheek and just let it melt. It seems weird but you get used to it. It also gives me energy. The water I shoot for about 8 oz. Coconuts  have a lot of lauric acid which is also in breastmilk. 
  • Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited February 2016
    Hi ladies!  I'm looking at switching from breastfeeding and supplementing with formula to pumping and supplementing with formula.  Background - LO is two weeks old tomorrow and has struggled with gaining weight and dehydration due to my low breast milk supply.  We've been supplementing with formula to get her weight back up, but she is a very slow eater and falls asleep a lot at the breast or while using supplementation devices like SNS or finger feeding.   She is not gaining weight as fast as our dr or lactation consultant want her to be and they said she's burning way too many calories by feeding so long and we need to get food in her more efficiently. She eats very efficiently with the bottle, so we're planning on just alternating bottled formula with bottled breast milk, or at least as much as I can pump.  (Currently getting about 1 - 1.5 oz per session in good sessions, .5 oz in bad sessions.)

Anyway, my question is this - do any of you still breastfeed occasionally, for comfort or bonding?  I know for LO's nutrition she needs to get this food via bottle to gain weight, however, I am seriously going to miss breastfeeding as a bonding thing and a way to get LO to fall asleep.  I know she's not getting much out of it (at our weighed feeding she got only about .2 oz after 20 minutes on a breast) but I am hoping to keep breastfeeding in the routine, in limited amounts, and alternate between these two types of feedings every 2 - 2.5 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night:

Breastfeed 15 min (alternating breast side each time I breastfeed)
    Then supplement with bottle of 1.5 - 2 oz of formula or pumped milk

Feed 2 oz bottle of pumped milk or formula
    Then pump once she goes down to sleep

Does this make sense?  Or with my low supply should I just cut out the inefficient breastfeeding in order to focus on pumping and formula for weight gain purposes?  Thanks!
  • Options
    @maureenmce, It makes sense to me. I still don't know what we're going to do. We have a really day and I'm just ready to throw in the towel, then the next day he's feeding like a champ and gives me confidence. Our LC suggested I power pump for a few days to try and get supply up. I did one session Friday and another Saturday. Today, I can tell my breasts are fuller. I'm going to do another power pump tonight and I'll probably do them every weekend as maintenance. 
    So, I wish I could offer you more advise regarding pumping and supplementing. I would def try power pumping, though!
    As for continuing to nurse, I've noticed that when we do give DS a bottle (usually right before we're ready for bed because I just feel so empty), he'll take 3-4oz and then start rooting like a madman. I'll let him latch and he's usually asleep after only 5-10 minutes. He really likes to comfort nurse. I have a feeling that if we were to EP, he'd still want that nursing session now and again, as would I. 
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    Hi ladies!  I'm looking at switching from breastfeeding and supplementing with formula to pumping and supplementing with formula.  Background - LO is two weeks old tomorrow and has struggled with gaining weight and dehydration due to my low breast milk supply.  We've been supplementing with formula to get her weight back up, but she is a very slow eater and falls asleep a lot at the breast or while using supplementation devices like SNS or finger feeding.   She is not gaining weight as fast as our dr or lactation consultant want her to be and they said she's burning way too many calories by feeding so long and we need to get food in her more efficiently. She eats very efficiently with the bottle, so we're planning on just alternating bottled formula with bottled breast milk, or at least as much as I can pump.  (Currently getting about 1 - 1.5 oz per session in good sessions, .5 oz in bad sessions.)

Anyway, my question is this - do any of you still breastfeed occasionally, for comfort or bonding?  I know for LO's nutrition she needs to get this food via bottle to gain weight, however, I am seriously going to miss breastfeeding as a bonding thing and a way to get LO to fall asleep.  I know she's not getting much out of it (at our weighed feeding she got only about .2 oz after 20 minutes on a breast) but I am hoping to keep breastfeeding in the routine, in limited amounts, and alternate between these two types of feedings every 2 - 2.5 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night:

Breastfeed 15 min (alternating breast side each time I breastfeed)
    Then supplement with bottle of 1.5 - 2 oz of formula or pumped milk

Feed 2 oz bottle of pumped milk or formula
    Then pump once she goes down to sleep

Does this make sense?  Or with my low supply should I just cut out the inefficient breastfeeding in order to focus on pumping and formula for weight gain purposes?  Thanks!
    At 2 weeks I was just finishing the need to supplement. We started EP as soon as we got home due to latch issues and I haven't tried to nurse since. I can say at 8 weeks DS and I are just as close as can be. DH says he smiles for me like no other and I don't disagree. I get the missing the nursing because with my first I had the same problems you are having and gave up at 6 weeks and switched to formula. It was really hard but a choice I don't regret. Life got easier when I did that. With DS I just did pumping bc it's one less thing for me to stress about. My supply was low at 2 weeks but at 5 I was getting 6-10 oz a pump. Do what you feel is best and will keep you and little on e happy and rested. Pinterest has a ton of list of things to try for upping your supply too.
  • Options
    Cejiml said:
     My supply was low at 2 weeks but at 5 I was getting 6-10 oz a pump. Do what you feel is best and will keep you and little on e happy and rested. Pinterest has a ton of list of things to try for upping your supply too.
    Ah!  This gives me so much hope!  I'm noticing I'm getting slightly more output with each pump, so I am really excited to see how much I can eventually get as I keep up my pumping schedule.  I'm off to go check out Pinterest for more ideas.  (I'm currently doing a fenugreek drink, coconut water and oatmeal, daily.)

To all the ladies on this thread (and anyone else) - have you tried power pumping?  Did you have any success with increasing your supply from that?  Next time my husband has a day off and can keep an eye on the baby, I'm hoping to give it a go.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Can someone tell me what power pumping is please?
  • Options
    Power pumping is when you pump off and on for 10 minute intervals for an hour.  

OP, I followed a similar routine as you are planning to; 8 times a day I would nurse for 10-15 mins a side, feed baby bottle of previously expressed milk, pump for 20 mins.  I did that from the time that my daughter was 4 days old until she was just over a month.  The pediatrician put us on this routine because my daughter lost 12% of birthweight, wasn't latching well, wasn't transferring much from the breast, and my milk was a little slow to come in.  This routine is grueling!  My milk supply has been great as a result, but it really wasn't until we corrected her tongue tie that things improved.  When they did though, it was miraculous!  At 7 weeks we are no longer supplementing, and I just pump 1-2 times a day to build my stash.
  • Options
    Another advocate of power pumping here!! It had definitely helped me build and maintain my supply! I always notice a difference the next day or so after I do it.  Even if you don't get a ton from the power pump itself, it helps you produce more later, just as a baby stimulating continuously or cluster feeding would.