April 2016 Moms

What are you planning on wearing during labor?

edited February 2016 in April 2016 Moms
Just curious what clothing mamas are packing in their delivery bag, or keeping on hand for their home births? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What are you planning on wearing during labor?

• I ordered a custom gown and matching robe from etsy! I plan on wearing that while I'm in early labor. Then once I get in the birth pool, I'll probably just wear a black sports bra. Actually, I'll probably end up wearing shorts and a sports bra the whole time. I'll be at home, and my midwife doesn't do vagjbak exams unless requested, so there doesn't need to be easy access constantly.

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!

• Loading the player...
  • And then super comfy sweatpants for post-delivery /the rest of the hospital stay!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Definitely hospital gown during birth, then comfy yoga pants or loose pants.
  • Whatever the hospital gives me
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah hospital gown for me! But I'll bring my own socks...
  • Do they need vag access after the delivery/clean up? Are comfy pants cool to wear the entire rest of the time?
  • I assumed I would be naked but a hospital gown would perhaps be better, haha.
    I just peed a little laughing at the thought of a bunch of very pregnant ladies walking naked up and down the halls, trying to get through contracts. 
    FWIW, I figure I'll end up naked or nearly naked for the actual pushing, but I'll want a gown until then. I overheat easily and the hospital likes to do immediate skin-to-skin so I feel like clothes would get in the way. 
  • Regular clothes while laboring at home, will start in a moo moo at the hospital, but will probably end up naked by delivery, and button up jammies for the next day. My doula recommended not wearing the hospital gown, which I thought was silly, but went along with when I had #3, and I felt like it did make a difference in the way that I felt and was treated by hospital staff.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Regular clothes while laboring at home, will start in a moo moo at the hospital, but will probably end up naked by delivery, and button up jammies for the next day. My doula recommended not wearing the hospital gown, which I thought was silly, but went along with when I had #3, and I felt like it did make a difference in the way that I felt and was treated by hospital staff.
    How so?
  • Definitely hospital gown. You pretty much end up naked by the time baby is born anyway. Then sweats and a comfy shirt. 
  • I've done a hospital gown until after the delivery and then my own gown after for the first night each time. The next day it's yoga pants a tank and my post maternity band. 
    @yodiggity staff only needed access to see my vag for swelling and check my pad periodically after delivery the yoga pants were fine they only needed to peek I didn't have to get all undressed
  • I've only thought about having a zip front sports bra that I can get in and out of easily, and a lightweight terry robe (in a dark color) that can absorb sweat and other fun fluids. Then naked eventually.

For after labor I'm hoping to find some wraparound maxi dresses to pack (the kind that can be slipped on without even putting them over your head)... So I don't have any bands sitting on my waist in the event of an emergency c-section. 
  • Jules08Jules08 member
    edited February 2016
    yodiggity said:
    Do they need vag access after the delivery/clean up? Are comfy pants cool to wear the entire rest of the time?
    They may do periodic checks on swelling, stitches, etc., but that's minor and you can be in whatever clothes you want to be in at that time.  I'd just wait until AFTER the stomach mashing sessions to change - lots of ... Gushes ... During those.

OP - I am another in the hospital gown camp, easy and nothing I need to clean after.  

Also, in regards to sports bras, some anesthesiologists won't let you wear one if you get an epidural, so check on that early.
  • I'll do the hospital gown while laboring, but plan to do skin to skin if possible (couldn't with DD) so I'll end up naked. Then afterwards I'll do sweats and nursing tank again. I didn't have a problem with them checking my downstairs. I just had to pull my pants down a little for a brief check and then done. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I will have a gown and also nursing tank/high wasted maternity yoga pants for after. This will be a repeat csection and having anything that sits at the incision/bikini line is a no-go. Honestly last time I spent most of my time under the covers in a tank and undies.
  • C section mamas do they really do more than 1 "vaginal car wash" as TB likes to call it? Meaning they will need access to your lady bits for a certain amount of time? 
  • @yodiggity I felt much less like a patient, and more like I was on vacation (seriously!). Nurses seemed to be more chill, less clinical and more personal. 
  • hospital gown for my c section and for the next 24 hours after that since I cant get up anyway. After bandages are off and I am able to shower I will wear comfy button down pajamas with a nursing tank. Came in super handy as guests were coming in and out and easy access for nursing. Loose leggings or pants and a comfy shirt to go home in. 
  • With DD1 I wore the hospital gown and a sports bra. I've thrown around the idea of getting a gown from etsy. I found some good ones that aren't expensive with the option to add buttons in the back in case I get an epidural. Likely I will wear the hospital gown and sports bra again and once I've had the opportunity to shower after switch to a gown I may purchase, or wear a simple button up gray nightgown I bought. I will also have my maternity leggings, nursing tank and nursing bra with me. By the time I was pushing I was basically in just the sports bra with something thrown over my lap, I honestly don't remember if it was the gown I discarded or a sheet or what.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I wore the hospital gown with DD, but I was also self-conscious and had both Mom & MIL in the room with the ex and I.  This go-round all modesty is out the window (welcome to child-birth) and it will just be DH and I. I plan to just wear a soft nursing bra (no underwire) and maybe a spaghetti-strapped jersey-material dress...while I am walking around and laboring.  I'd prefer to deliver with nothing more than a bra this time.  Afterwards, nursing camisole and maternity yoga pants like I did last time were most comfortable.  I threw on a t-shirt material robe (from Target) or a t-shirt if I got chilly or had some of my more modest friends came to visit....because I've got gimondo boobs and they don't hide well in a nursing cami.  

imageimage
  • yodiggity said:
    Do they need vag access after the delivery/clean up? Are comfy pants cool to wear the entire rest of the time?
    The staff will check for swelling and to check any stitches.  They do this a couple times a day, unless there is a need for more.  A dr checks you again before they let you leave.

I gave birth at 630, and swapped hospital gowns and got ready for bed oncey epi wore off.  I slept in the gown the first night for easy feeding.  The next day I changed into mycomfy pants, but was so sore the staff had to help.

• C section mamas do they really do more than 1 "vaginal car wash" as TB likes to call it? Meaning they will need access to your lady bits for a certain amount of time? 
    I don't recall exactly, but I remember them needing to be checking on things, removing the cath, etc for at least the first 36 hours-48 hours, so I didn't put pants on until after the second night when I was trying to get up and walk around a bit.
    I was totally naked for a good portion of labor. I stayed in my room most of the time. If I went anywhere else, they just threw a blanket over me and wheeled me out to wherever I needed to go. Gave birth completely naked too. I had probably about 5 people in the room when I pushed DS out. Totally didn't care.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• For labor and delivery I will use the hosp gown, they can wash all the icky stuff that comes with childbirth.  Then sweat pants and tank for afterwards. 
    You pretty much are haha, the gown doesn't cover too much and it gets pulled up, etc. You literally WILL NOT CARE one iota at that point.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Sports bra and gown (plus grippy socks and robe if out of the room) for labor. Just the hospital gown for delivery so we can do skin to skin. My sports bra was stuck hanging on the IV pole for DDs delivery but they had no problem with that. 
    Anniversary 
  • AnnikaD20AnnikaD20 member
    edited February 2016
    I gave birth in a sports bra last time, and plan to do the same again. I started with a hospital gown too, but took it off to labor in the tub, and it never went back on. I have loose yoga pants, nursing tanks, and a long cardi for recovery.

ETA: they let me keep my sports bra on when I got my epidural. They ran the lines under the back of it and taped them on my spine below and my shoulder blade above.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

I don't recall exactly, but I remember them needing to be checking on things, removing the cath, etc for at least the first 36 hours-48 hours, so I didn't put pants on until after the second night when I was trying to get up and walk around a bit.
    Do I want to know what this is? 
  • I will wear the hospital gown with nothing else (no bra) and likely end up naked for the pushing. I figure the hospital can clean the ick, I don't want to. I typically change into a new clean hospital gown after delivery for the next few hours until I can shower and then put on my own clothes. A nightgown for the first night since it's easy access for all the bleeding/hemi checks and then PJ pants and nursing top for the second night.
    Me & DH - 2009
    Gone but not forgotten: Identical twin boys born at 23 weeks - 2004 
    DS1 - 2010
    DS2 - 2012
    DS3 - 2014
    Surprise # 4 due April 2016!! It's a GIRL.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wore the hospital gown when I was in labor with DS. I have no clue if I was wearing a bra or not, I don't remember. I know it wasn't on when I went to have the c section so if I had one on at all I took it off at some point. I wore a hospital gown the first day post op and then wore nursing tanks and sweat pants the rest of the time. 
    @amadorrose she's talking about the catheter... if you get an epidural, they have to give you a catheter too, since you can no longer feel/control when you are peeing. It's really not a big deal, I didn't even really know it was there because I think I got the epidural first? It's such a blur.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I wore a sports bra the entire time. I did use the hospital gown when I walked around at first but I mainly stayed in my room, specifically in the labor tub. And you truly don't care, especially without an epidural because you're just so focused and you aren't laying in bed necessarily making you more aware of your lack of clothing in my opinion. Also I do think with an epidural you might get colder. If I'm not mistaken it is a side effect for some, so you may wish to be more covered if you plan/end up getting one. I'm planning on the same - sports bra- this time! 
    @amadorrose she's talking about the catheter... if you get an epidural, they have to give you a catheter too, since you can no longer feel/control when you are peeing. It's really not a big deal, I didn't even really know it was there because I think I got the epidural first? It's such a blur.
    Oh god I was so scared they were going to give some sort of douche! I was aware of the catheter but almost lost it at the idea of a "vagina car wash."
    Oh god I was so scared they were going to give some sort of douche! I was aware of the catheter but almost lost it at the idea of a "vagina car wash."
    OHH... yeah I have no idea what the "vaginal car wash" is... I think maybe they shave you and whatnot before a C section? Do they? maybe it relates to that? But I'm not sure because I haven't had a section!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
    It's when they come and clean you all up after the csection. Peri bottle rinse, wipe down, check incision, manage the catheter. Most people are not in any position to get up and go to the bathroom for at least a day (or at least I wasn't) and they need to keep the area clean from the blood and discharge. Sorry, tmi but true.
    It's when they come and clean you all up after the csection. Peri bottle rinse, wipe down, check incision, manage the catheter. Most people are not in any position to get up and go to the bathroom for at least a day (or at least I wasn't) and they need to keep the area clean from the blood and discharge. Sorry, tmi but true.
    Don't be sorry - this is so much better than I expected. 
    @kdebesche4 yes! they will be checking to change your pad in lovely mesh underwear because you cannot get up and do it yourself. Not sure if anything has changed in the last couple years but when I had DS 3 years ago I was in bed for 24 hours and not allowed to get up. Once the Cath and bandages were removed I was allowed to shower and get up. That's when I changed to pants.