Pregnancy and anxiety.. — The Bump
1st Trimester

Pregnancy and anxiety..

babymamamegsbabymamamegs
25 Love Its 10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited February 2016 in 1st Trimester
I have had severe anxiety for the past few months and I just got my BFP! :-) super excited, been TTC for 9 mo. So today I'm 4wks 3days, and I keep experiencing chest pressure/pains and light headedness. At the Dr right now checking it out. Anyone have any tips or tricks for calming down you're anxiety or realizing the chest pain probably isn't life-threatening? 

Re: Pregnancy and anxiety..

• Congrats on your bfp! I have general anxiety which has increased and become hyper focused on this pregnancy. My doctor suggested I try accupuncture (make sure you tell them you're pregnant if you go) and yoga. Someone else suggested downlaoded the Calm app which has guided meditations. I just downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. 
    Good luck! I know how stressful this process can be, especially for those of us who are already anxious people. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

babymamamegs
  • Hmm acupuncture! Didn't even think of that, very calming :-) and trying to give meditation a try.
    Thank you! And good luck to you too!
  • Loading the player...
  • tinypikachutinypikachu
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary 5 Answers
    edited February 2016
    Congratulations and welcome! I've suffered from severe anxiety for quite some time now so I completely understand where you're coming from. It finally got so bad that I was put on two meds after I had already stopped another one. I am almost 12 weeks and still taking meds which, for me, the benefits outweigh the risks but I would prefer not to struggle with anxiety, obviously. 

Meditation works wonders, but I was never able to get myself down from panic using it. I decided I'd had enough and started therapy and that has worked wonders for me. I remember from when I got my BFP until 5 weeks where I was constantly feeling my heart racing and chest pains and I was able to get through that with therapy and meditation  (my therapist taught me how to meditate in a way that works for me).

We all have different things that work and don't work for us so I'm really just saying that it's okay to get help if you feel like the techniques you try aren't doing the trick.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Deep breathing and guided imagery or meditations is great for me! They talk you through a relaxation which is hard to do for yourself when you are feeling anxious! Id also suggest sharing this with your dr as they may be able to offer support and resources as well! 
  • Congratulations and welcome! I've suffered from severe anxiety for quite some time now so I completely understand where you're coming from. It finally got so bad that I was put on two meds after I had already stopped another one. I am almost 12 weeks and still taking meds which, for me, the benefits outweigh the risks but I would prefer not to struggle with anxiety, obviously. 

Meditation works wonders, but I was never able to get myself down from panic using it. I decided I'd had enough and started therapy and that has worked wonders for me. I remember from when I got my BFP until 5 weeks where I was constantly feeling my heart racing and chest pains and I was able to get through that with therapy and meditation  (my therapist taught me how to meditate in a way that works for me).

We all have different things that work and don't work for us so I'm really just saying that it's okay to get help if you feel like the techniques you try aren't doing the trick.
    Sounds exactly like what I'm going through at the moment! Been debating about going to therapy, because I never know how it will go, every wierd chest pain sends me into an attack. Which I do not need right now!  Being the first weeks are the most vital. Going to get insurance tomorrow so I will be able to start going to doctors. Well let you all know how it goes thank you so much for giving me a situation that relates to mine so well. So glad to hear I'm not alone.  
    tinypikachu