February 2016 Moms

Taking baby out

So I forgot to ask my pedi today about taking my son out to visit my in laws at their house. I know most pedi recommend waiting until 6-8 weeks for large crowded places, but did anyone ask about going to someone's house, if you know no one is sick? 

Re: Taking baby out

• So I forgot to ask my pedi today about taking my son out to visit my in laws at their house. I know most pedi recommend waiting until 6-8 weeks for large crowded places, but did anyone ask about going to someone's house, if you know no one is sick? 
    I personally wouldn't. I'm such a germaphobe when it comes to my babies. Who knows where your in laws have been and who they've been around. Especially this time of year when so many viruses and sickness are going around. 
  • I went to our local big box store with my first son when he was 5 days old. It was at 11 pm to try to help the sleep schedule and my hubs went too. We also kept him mostly covered in a front carrier (Bjorn sport). I mentally helped us and I think we got a 2.5 hour stretch when we got home. He is 18 months now - they will survive. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm planning on asking my doctor about this at baby's check-up tomorrow.  How much risk is really involved if baby stays in a covered carseat or in the moby? I have a feeling I'll skip my moms group for the six weeks or so...too many germy kids.  I tend to get stir crazy inside all day and like to make a trip out everyday, even if it's just to waste 30 min at target while my kids eat their free cookie;)  Obviously if Dr says it's too risky, I won't, but I'll also go crazy by nap time most days!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm planning on asking my doctor about this at baby's check-up tomorrow.  How much risk is really involved if baby stays in a covered carseat or in the moby? I have a feeling I'll skip my moms group for the six weeks or so...too many germy kids.  I tend to get stir crazy inside all day and like to make a trip out everyday, even if it's just to waste 30 min at target while my kids eat their free cookie;)  Obviously if Dr says it's too risky, I won't, but I'll also go crazy by nap time most days!
    Your Target gives kids cookies? 0.o

To the OP, personally I take my LO if I need to get things done or people to see. I've been stir crazy as it is and the cold weather does not help. I just keep him in the car seat with the cover if I'm in public and if I'm around young kids just don't let them touch him. My daughter goes to daycare though so I'm sure she brings home stuff as well!
  • @achae ALL the Targets here do. It's a nice little bribe..
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @achae ALL the Targets here do. It's a nice little bribe..
    Wow I would shop there more often if that was the case lol! As it is it's still my "$100 store" because I can never leave for less it seems!
  • We went to a church picnic yesterday and to an outdoor mall today (I'm in Florida so it's warm). No way I could stay home 6-8 weeks. I have 2 other kids and lots of obligations that require me to leave the house.

• Yesterday we took DD to the park for a walk because it was nice out but not too hot or sunny (currently in tx). Today we took her to babies r us and Walmart and just kept her covered in the car seat. They were quick trips and she's going to have to be out in public eventually. I kind of wanted to do it now when I had DH with me instead of waiting until she was older but I was by myself (she's 5 days)
  • Go for what you feel comfortable with. I remember with DS 1 we went to Walmart the day we were released from the hospital. We had zero food in the house because we were going to go the day I delivered (I was supposed to be induced the next day). With DS 2 we were out in that first week as well. This time we waited until week 3 to go out but that was really because we didn't have a large enough vehicle for all of us and I was nervous about having 4/5 kids to wrangle. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think it's any big deal to go visit, and this is from someone who is pretty cautious about germ exposure. It's no different than them coming to visit you. Just make sure everyone washes their hands and their isn't any baby kissing. 

I also don't think it's any issue to take them out to a store if they're covered in the car seat and/or in a carrier. In that case, just make sure you wash your hands after you're done shopping and/or before touching baby's face.. And be ready to dodge any creepy old ladies trying to touch your baby.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• In Oklahoma right now there's so many babies and kids with RSV the nicu's and picu's are jam packed. DD has only gone to the pedi for her 5 day and 2 week check up. She won't be going out in public for awhile. I'm very fortunate she has an aunt that loves to spend time watching her so DH and I can get out. The pedi told us it's okay to take her out in her covered car seat to Target or small errands but to skip a birthday party at someone's house so we wouldn't have to deal with dirty hands touching her. I realize I can't keep her in a bubble but if I could lol :)
  • I'm in Utah and RSV and flu are at their peak. His pedi said to keep him on lockdown til at least a month. He's 3 weeks today. We've gone on walks around the block with him covered in his car seat or moby wrap. Yesterday I took him in the wrap to DD's dentist appointment. And we've been to my moms once. I don't see a problem with those places but definitely won't be taking him to Walmart anytime soon.
  • DS is three weeks. He hasn't left the house outside of two doctors appointments and out to get his newborn photos when he was a week old. I've mainly kept him home because it's been so cold where we live in the Midwest. We've had visitors here at our house. I just ask them to wash their hands. I will likely start getting him and DS1 out to the grocery store and to target once a week just to get out. Baby will stay in a covered car seat. Might also venture out to dinner this weekend as a family. I just get a booth and stick the car seat in it with me so it's far away from people. I think going to your in laws is fine unless you know they are actually sick. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • This might be a silly question but when you all say "covered car seat" what do you mean by covered? Are you draping a light blanket over the whole car seat? 
  • chilady12 said:
    This might be a silly question but when you all say "covered car seat" what do you mean by covered? Are you draping a light blanket over the whole car seat? 
    I have a car seat canopy that I leave over the front of the car seat. It can be flipped over so she's exposed but I usually leave it covered. I also put a light blanket over her lap/hands as well to keep her warm
  • chilady12 said:
    This might be a silly question but when you all say "covered car seat" what do you mean by covered? Are you draping a light blanket over the whole car seat? 
    We have a car seat canopy. We're in Florida, so I use it more for keeping the sun out of her eyes and also as a extra layer between her and germs.

• @chilady12 Here is the car seat cover I have. One of my mom's friends made it for me. It has elastic around the whole thing so it fits really snug. I love it! It keeps her completely covered and away from dirty hands. It also helps keep the cold air out and away from her. 

• We have this one and I absolutely love it.  The brand is copper pearl and you can buy it off amazon or directly off their site.  It's a super stretchy, light fabric and I like the hole at the top so you can peek in on her.  You can also use it as a nursing cover!  

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• pbtoastpbtoast member
    edited February 2016
    Just curious- those of you who aren't taking baby out at all for a set period of time- are you also not having any visitors? I'm personally more anxious about visitors who are actually holding and touching my baby (we are allowing healthy visitors and taking him to meet people- just asking that they wash their hands first if they'll be touching him) than people who are 5 feet away minimum at Target or whatever. And I feel like the doctor's office is way worse than anywhere we could take him germ-wise, but avoiding that is obviously not an option. Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious. I'm as big of a germophobe as anyone, but it's all about weighing risk for me and I can't keep him locked away at home with no visitors forever (as much as I'd like to in my heart of hearts).

ETA: we are taking our baby out (he's 1 week old- took him out when he was about 5 days old for the first time) for short trips. We are keeping our distance from strangers, but again, I personally feel there's more risk with people holding him even if they are people we know. But that's just me. 
  • We took our little guy out at 3 days old. We went to target and took our older 3 children to get frozen yogurt. At 4 days old he had his checkup apt and since then he's been out a few times. But he's always in the carrier covered and I'd be damned if anyone try to touch him lol. With my husband home and my son was off from school for a week we both wanted to take advantage of the free time we had. 
  • We have taken the baby out with us to run a few errands and to the park with DD. He stays covered in his car seat in public. We have also taken him on visits a few minutes away at our families houses. So long as everyone is healthy I don't mind taking him to see family. 
  • pbtoast said:
    Just curious- those of you who aren't taking baby out at all for a set period of time- are you also not having any visitors? I'm personally more anxious about visitors who are actually holding and touching my baby (we are allowing healthy visitors and taking him to meet people- just asking that they wash their hands first if they'll be touching him) than people who are 5 feet away minimum at Target or whatever. And I feel like the doctor's office is way worse than anywhere we could take him germ-wise, but avoiding that is obviously not an option. Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious. I'm as big of a germophobe as anyone, but it's all about weighing risk for me and I can't keep him locked away at home with no visitors forever (as much as I'd like to in my heart of hearts).

ETA: we are taking our baby out (he's 1 week old- took him out when he was about 5 days old for the first time) for short trips. We are keeping our distance from strangers, but again, I personally feel there's more risk with people holding him even if they are people we know. But that's just me. 
    I'm with you... I would be more worried about people who will be touching and breathing on her then being in public where she's in a carrier or being worn.

Our pediatrician actually seemed more concerned with being careful of sick visitors and regular hand washing. He didn't even comment on going out in public.

• I've been pretty stingy with allowing people to come by our house. I was honest with everyone knowing I would have her at the height of cold and flu season that it would be a little bit before we allowed visitors. People have been understanding. And if they're not....hmm I don't really care lol my first priority is my child. My sister and BIL spend a lot of time with us but they both got flu shots and the Tdap knowing they'd be around her frequently. I use the Milk Snob car seat cover. It's called the paparazzi and wards off unwanted touching. 
  • With both of my girls, I had them out and about within the first week. I kept them close to me and covered or in a carrier and didn't have any problems. We intend to do the same again with this one.

No point stressing about it. Germs are everywhere, so don't give yourself anxiety attacks about them. Just have good personal hygiene, pay attention to steer clear of sick people, and keep sanitizer in your bag or pocket to use if or when ya want/need. 

They'll be fine.
  • We have been on a few errands with LO covered in her car seat. At 3 weeks old, she caught a cold from her toddler brother. There is only so much you can do to protect them. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have been on a few errands with LO covered in her car seat. At 3 weeks old, she caught a cold from her toddler brother. There is only so much you can do to protect them. 
    Yep. I don't worry about germs in public, bc I have a toddler who brings all sorts of germs from the germ factory ( daycare) this week's pick is hand foot mouth disease. 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • We go to my in laws all the time- but we live very close and see them at least once per week any way.  I do get nervous about my niece and nephew because they go to daycare/preschool and are constantly getting sick. I am doing my best not to let them touch the baby.  I can't keep them away from my toddler though ... So fingers crossed everyone just stays healthy! I decided against taking the baby to a breastfeeding group today because they meet at the hospital and at only a week old i decided not to risk it because other toddlers/siblings also go.    
  • We have been to the in laws house and other family members since baby was born 2 weeks ago. We have the JJCole Bundle Me for the car seat to keep him covered. On the one good day I was able to take baby and dog out for 10 min i wore the Moby wrap. 
  • I'm with you, @pbtoast... I was really surprised at how many people aren't going out in public. Germs are pretty easy to control in places like stores when babies are small. 

• I also agree I'm more worried about people touching my baby than taking him out. But my eldest is in school so he's in contact with many. Who knows what he brings home.