May 2016 Moms
Options

I have preeclampsia

It's official, I have preeclampsia which for me means bed rest in a hospital until birth. Protein levels increased quickly over a few days and my blood pressure has been high.

At 28 weeks our goal is to keep her in as long as possible. We have had everyone go over worst case scenarios with us though, so we can be mentally prepared. It's really scary all the things that can go wrong but at least we know what they are. 

If you are going through the same thing or have a positive story to share I would
love to hear it! 

Re: I have preeclampsia

• Options

I'm so sorry you're going through this but it's great that you are where you need to be right now. I have no experience or advice, just wanted to send you some support. T&P and HUGS to you!!

• Options
    I'm so sorry! Hang in there and trust that it's all in the best interest of you and your baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I had pre-e with my first pregnancy and while I won't lie, it sucks, you will get through it. In most cases, the baby is not really affected because our bodies are so strong and will redirect everything to the LO. My son is definitely no worse for the wear. He is a thriving, adorable, healthy 2 year old who is ahead of the curve in basically everything and is growing like a weed! And here I am, having a super healthy second pregnancy (knock on wood). So there is hope.

As for right now, don't do too much research. I drove myself nuts looking at all the worst case scenarios. It is good to be prepared, but try not to go overboard. As long as you trust your providers and feel comfortable that they are keeping a good close eye on you and your baby, you could carry to full term (meaning 36wks +). Find something other than just watching TV to do while on bed rest. I kept a journal and actually ended up doing quite a bit of writing that is not too bad. Maybe someday I will see if it is really any good and try to submit it somewhere. Probably not, but it was really nice to have a creative outlet I could do from bed. Also, let other people do stuff. I know that sounds dumb when you are lying in a hospital, but I was so worried about seeming like a bother to the nurses and staff I didn't ask for help with anything. Finally, I had a nurse who was up my butt all shift and I had no idea why, but it felt like she wouldn't let me fart without her being there. Then I realized it was because even though I was "just on bed rest" I was still a patient and it was ok to let the nurses and CNAs do their jobs. Have some visitors, but not too many. If anyone is just going to stress you out more by asking a lot of questions or talking about themselves (you all know the types!) just don't let them in. But if you have friends or family that are great supports and would help you laugh, cry, just be...bring them on! Lastly, listen to your body. I dismissed so many symptoms thinking I was being dramatic or "Well, this is just how it goes when you have pre-e", but you deserve to feel the best you can. Be vocal, be in-tune, and be confident. The doctors can tell you what your labs say and what your vitals are, but you are the expert in you. 

Hugs, T&Ps, and all the positivity to you! If you need anything, feel free to PM.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have no experience but just wanted to send good thoughts your way!
  • Options
    Thinking of you!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Sorry you're going through this. No experience but I work with a girl who had it and her baby turned out just fine. Try to take care of yourself and as others have said.. stop googling and doing research! I always find that makes things worse for me. I'm sure ladies on here will comment and give you positive stories. Hugs.
  • Options
    I can imagine how worried you are, but try to remember they caught anything in time and are taking the best precautions! We can try to cheer you up and keep you entertained with some gif parties and the occasional wacky thread ;) In the meantime creepy internet hugs!

love hug monkey friendship

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    seasalt123seasalt123 member
    edited February 2016
    I'm sorry, that sucks. I've been on bed rest/hospital since 21 weeks due to a partial placental abruption and yes, it truly sucks. The waiting for each gestational week to go by sucks. I'm sure you know this by now, but the good news is that your baby has a very good prognosis even if he/she does need to be born soon. In the meanwhile, stock up on DVDs or fire up your netflix. If you are on strict bedrest, make sure you've had someone go over with you the leg exercises you should do to prevent blood clots. Sending good vibes to you that both our babies keep cooking a few weeks longer. 

Edited to add that I was also a baby born 6 weeks early due to my mother having preeclampsia. I wasn't in the hospital long and had no issues at all. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear! The good news is they're closely monitoring you and you're in the safest spot possible. Best of luck, big hugs!
  • Options
    So sorry to hear that!! Glad to hear that you are being monitored and that you and LO are doing ok 
  • Options
    I hope baby can stay baking as long as possible. Prayers for you!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Sending all the positive vibes your way!  Hang in there, mama.  I know it just be crazy scary, but at least they caught it early and you're in the best place you can be for you and baby.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that you have preeclampsia;  it's really good that they caught it early and can take precautions to keep your baby in the womb and keep you monitored. Thoughts and prayers, as well as hugs to you! 
  • Options
    Thinking of you!!!
  • Options
    @jjroxtx, I was wondering if you were ok after we didn't hear from you over the weekend. How did your meeting with the high risk ob go? My mother had toxemia (pre eclampsia) with me and was on bed rest for a month. She eventually had a c section and was fine as am I. Pre eclampsia happens, I'm just so happy you were able to get it assessed before anything bad happened. 
  • Options
    Sending positive vibes your way!!
  • Options
    I'm sorry that you're going through this, but I'm so glad that they've got a good eye on you!
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Options
    Sorry you are dealing with this. T & P coming your way.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thoughts and prayers!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I am so sorry :( My SIL had pre-eclampsia with my niece and she was a healthy baby girl. Hang in there, glad they caught it when they did and that you have your doctor monitoring you. GL! 
  • Options
    laurenmdrn16, thank you for all the advice! I for sure will find something creative to do while I'm here. I'm not very artistic but if it's just to keep my mind occupied with somethi forget than tv it's worth a shot! 
    I have already noticed myself ignoring symptoms of other things, like a sinus infection, because I'm so I obsorbed in this. I will talk to the nurse today. 
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    jjroxtx said:
    lbachran, the high risk Dr said baby is looking good. She's on track for where she should be and all organs doing what they should. The overwhelming message is she would be in the NICU for several weeks if she is born before 34 weeks no matter what if she is born early so in just trying to keep her in. So far it seems like if we have to deliver early it will be because of stress to me, she's handling all of this really well. 
    This was what happened with me. My son had absolutely no signs of distress, was passing all the NSTs with flying colors, US looked fantastic, and he was dancing and moving and growing perfectly. They did give him steroids at around 32wks to try to speed up his lung development and I think that really made a huge difference. Like I said, you can deliver at 36+ wks if your body can handle it. But, if she does come early, know that being in the NICU is not the worst thing. She will be very well taken care of, you will be able to heal (if you don't do what I did and sneak up to the NICU every chance you get!), and you will get the best parent education ever because NICU nurses are absolute angels on Earth. I am so glad to hear you got good news! You and that little girl are stronger than you know and the experience will only make you closer and tougher. I truly believe my son, MH, and I have such a strong bond because we went through some tough stuff in the beginning and we know we can take on anything the world throws at us!

BabyFruit Ticker