July 2016 Moms
Options

Update: Anatomy scan didn't go as planned

ambarnett1ambarnett1 member
edited February 2016 in July 2016 Moms
Update: we met with the ob today. He said because of the IUD, they are moving my due date from the 12th to the 17th based on my dating u/s. That matches up better with the anatomy scan dates. We will have a growth scan at 32 weeks just to check for IUGR. Baby is very healthy otherwise and has no markers or abnormalities. We are very relieved and glad our Dr took the time to talk to us. 

Hey everyone. Lurker here. We just had our anatomy scan for #3 and it did not go as well as I wanted. He has all the important parts, but is measuring 10 days behind. He was measuring 5 days at 7w, but I typically ovulate late. I had an IUD when I got pregnant, so we're not 100% on dates.They didn't change the due date at 7w though. The u/s tech and doctor at the ultrasound today had terrible bedside manner. Anyone have babies measure small this early? I go to talk to my ob tomorrow, but I'm concerned :( 

Re: Update: Anatomy scan didn't go as planned

• Options
    I don't know enough about ultrasounds to advise, but I imagine your doctor would have let you know if they saw anything worrisome. Perhaps call your regular ob tomorrow (assuming enough time for the records to be sent over, which is normal procedure) and let them know your concerns?

Good luck, try not to worry too much, and I hope you have a good update soon. 
  • Options
    Thank you. I am seeing my OB tomorrow. It's hard not to be concerned when the radiologist mentions chromosomal or placental abnormalities. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MamaBishMamaBish member
    edited February 2016
    I don't have much advice but I hope they suggest regular growth scans for you for the next couple of months to check on baby's size. Hugs to you and fx everything is ok!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    I'm sorry things didn't go as you had hoped. I wouldn't worry too much, as he's been measuring behind all along. While there is a "guideline" of growth, all babies grow at different rates. You'll get more answers tomorrow, but try not to stress tonight. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Like @aimz2377  all babies grow differently. If your dates were behind to start with, it seems like everything matches up if your baby is still behind. I think what is most important is that there is growth, and there weren't any other concerns that came up. Hope you can talk to your OB first thing so you can get some more info.
  • Options
    I'm sorry your a/s was so troubling, and I'm glad you won't have to wait long to consult your OB about it. I think it's encouraging that you're not 100% sure about dates--that gives some wiggle room. Maybe he's not as small for his age as he seems. But the radiologist's talk about chomosomal abnormalities would scare me, too. If you haven't had a Panorama (or similar) test, I encourage you to ask your doctor about it. The test might put your mind at ease. Good luck tomorrow, and keep us posted!
  • Options
    I don't have any insight but so sorry to hear you had a rough scan! Thoughts and prayers are with you and your little one! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    trucksntutustrucksntutus member
    edited February 2016

Sorry to hear your U/S didn't go as planned, love. Try not to worry too much. It sounds like the little one hasn't fallen too far off base; and by this time babies will start to grow at different rates compared to others because of genetics. Whereas early on in the pregnancy babies grow at a very uniform rate, later on they do not. My baby is currently measuring about 3 or 4 days behind and my OB didn't seem concerned. Keep us posted as to what your OB says!! :)  And remember, a due date is just an estimate!

Image result for jackson april gif baby
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this helps but my high risk dr told me today that in the first trimester an u/s can be off by one week second trimester 2 weeks and third 3 weeks. Just like how they never really know the weight of the baby at the end. Hoping for the best. Thinking about you!! 
  • Options
    I have no medical knowledge or experience with anything like this as a FTM, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this stress. I hope your doctor can reassure you tomorrow and that you just ovulated on a different day than expected and baby is measuring normal for when he/she was conceived. Best of luck and I'll be thinking of you!
  • Options
    I don't have any advise but I am sorry you had a rough scan (and doubly worse with lousy bedside manner). I hope your doctor tomorrow is able to put you at ease. I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts
  • Options
    I believe it will depend on your OBs preference for changing the due date. With some uncertainty on your conception I wouldn't worry.

I was in a very similar situation with my son. In his case, he measured around 5-7 days behind on each u/s. Unless it was over 7 days, the OB told me she didn't change the due date. On my sons last u/s at 35 weeks, I was told he was measuring less than the 50th percentile. However, he was born 2 days before his due date and was 8lbs 2oz!  So way bigger than 50th percentile. U/s have a machine of error, so don't worry too much. 

This pregnncy my same OB said the due date could change based on each u/s. 
  • Options
    I have no real advise but wanted to give (((hugs))) I definitely know women who have had dd moved either up or back because baby was measuring 2+ weeks off. 
  • Options
    With my son...my first ultra sound they pushed my due date out by 2 weeks and then I went in for the 20 week ultra sound and he was measuring 2 weeks ahead... I always measured 2 weeks over too..and then he was born two weeks early on the dot... so sometimes they can not be accurate....hope this helps.  Hope it all turns out ok!!!
  • Options
    Good luck today - I hope your OB can provide clarity and give you peace of mind!
  • Options
    Something similar happened with my sister - she had weird cycles and they weren't positive when she ovulated. She started out with a July 4th EDD and they moved her EDD up twice before she finally had the baby on July 17th. Also, baby still ended up being on the small side; just 6 lbs. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence but sometimes this situations happens and everything is ok.

Hopefully your Dr. can put your mind at ease at your appointment. Good luck, mama.
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    I'm an ultrasound tech and we have about a 2 week margin of error that falls within normal. 10 days is really not a big deal as long as the baby is growing symmetrically. 
  • Options
    That's a great update! Glad you got good news. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Glad to read your update; I'm sure meeting with the OB was a relief today. Glad to hear OB doesn't see any abnormalities and that baby is healthy!
  • Options
    That's a great update! Congrats!

• Options
    Yay!! So glad to hear this. I'd been wondering how your follow up appointment went.