May 2016 Moms
Options

Birthing Classes

This isn't really to ask a question, but to report back. I'm a FTM, and the hospital we're going to deliver at offers birthing classes that they recommend you take during the 6th or 7th month of pregnancy. My husband and I went to one yesterday from 8:30-4:30. It was a long day, but I found it super informative for both me and my husband. We talked about everything from breathing techniques to stages of labor/when to go to the hospital to watching videos from all different types of birth and experiences. I will say some of it was really hard to watch, but at the same time I feel like I have a much better idea of what to expect. 

And to share some cool tips since you're reading - if you want to get the baby moving, apparently they are really attracted to heat. Putting a heating pad on one side of your body will attract the baby to that area. Whereas putting a cold ice pack somewhere will make the baby want to move away from it. You can also shine a flashlight on your back or front depending on which way the baby is facing. Another thing she recommended is around 35-36 weeks, start rubbing just a little EVOO right inside the opening of your vagina. This will help prep the area for stretching. 

And on on the scarier side, we learned things like what to do if your water breaks at home and some of the umbilical cord comes out. Get on all 4's and call an ambulance immediately. Do not hop in the car and bring yourself to the hospital. 

I highly recommend for other FTMs to see if any hospitals in their area offer similar classes - I feel like we got some good take aways. The book they gave us during class and to take home is full of really awesome information as well. 

Re: Birthing Classes

• Options
    Our classes are in a few weeks....looking forward to them. Thanks for the feedback on yours!
  • Options
    Our classes start next week. Our birthing center actually requires all first time moms take them. I'm pretty excited. I feel like they'll help a lot with some of the anxiety DH and I are having about the baby arriving. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine start on Tuesday. We have five two hour sessions, once a week. It is birthing and infant care class. We also signed up for infant CPR class and a B/f class. I'm excited!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    Taking mine next weekend! Glad to hear positive things about it!
  • Options
    Mine start in March and I'm going solo since DH works second shift. Guess I will be taking notes!
  • Options
    We are doing a BF and infant care class in March, I'm excited!  
  • Options
    I want to do a birthing class offered by the hospital , but DH doesn't because it costs $35.  He also doesn't see why he should come with me to a "partners encouraged" breastfeeding class.  I'm surprised he actually agreed to the infant care class.

Little frustrated with him right now. 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our class is a natural birth focused 4 week class. I find it a little overwhelming, but DH loves it! He even takes notes!
  • Options
    PSA: Classes that are birthing only are eligible expenses on an HSA (not that you don't have a plethora of options on things you can blow your HSA money on). And FWIW - I have heard from women who brought their husbands to breastfeeding class and said it made a huge difference in the level of support and understanding they got from their partners.

@arj14 I would be frustrated with him too! I can't believe your DH is making a big deal out of $35. I think ours is $85 for childbirth, $45 for infant care, and $45 for breastfeeding. We've only signed up for the first two so far but I want to do the breastfeeding one too if we like the instructors.
  • Options
    We have ours in March and still want to sign up for a few other ones but can't wait!
  • Options
    @arj14 ours was $125! I can't believe he's upset over $35! Our birth classes whole message is "your body knows what it's doing but your mind doesn't". I like having the knowledge to be able to say "that's normal" or that it's okay to even say "that doesn't feel right, I can't explain why but it doesn't"
  • Options
    RMLandyRMLandy member
    edited February 2016
    The idea of birthing classes freak me out a little. We did the hospital required one with my first but I walked out any time they showed a birth video. I'm planning to go without an epidural this time so I know I probably should. But Im the type that I'd rather not see what's going to happen, birth videos REALLY gross me out, and I think I'll just figure it out when the time comes like I did last time. This is probably a terrible plan but I can seem to pump myself up to do anything about it!
  • Options
    We went to car seat installation last week, infant and child cpr on Saturday, and my family is going to the grandparents class later this week. We have classes scheduled for c-sections, breastfeeding, and baby care in the upcoming weeks. All were free through our hospital and thankfully DH has been great about attending. I'm with the PP, I  won't watch any of the videos. I'm having a c-section, I won't be able to see down there anyway and the visual will just make me spiral.
  • Options
    DH and I have our classes in April. We signed up for something similar to this its called labor & delivery. Also signed up for baby basics and a breastfeeding class. Its all free so that is nice. I hope the classes are informative as yours. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Wait, the cord come out when your water breaks!? I never knew...

@arj14 really? Over $35? I would just sign up for the classes and tell him tough luck. Maybe take him down the diaper aisle at Target and then watch him really freak out! :)
  • Options
    We've got our first one tonight--birthing class. I wonder if we should start a thread where we can post tips/most interesting thing we learned from class, etc. to share with others?
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    vinerie said:
    We've got our first one tonight--birthing class. I wonder if we should start a thread where we can post tips/most interesting thing we learned from class, etc. to share with others?
    This. Our classes start tomorrow night. I feel like most people taking classes are starting them around now. I feel like it would be a good idea in case someone's class doesn't happen to cover something that might be useful for everyone.
  • Options
    vinerie said:
    Since I'm not doing any classes I love this idea. I'll learn from ya'll!

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @kbrands7 sounds great! Something else for me to worry about at 3am when I'm getting kicked! :wink: 
  • Options
    Well, I got DH past the $35 thing by pointing out its per couple, not per person, but he's still  "thinking about it ". Bah.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had our full day childbirth class yesterday, and to be honest, I didn't feel like I got any new information that I hadn't already read about (though to be fair, I have read a lot on pregnancy and labor). MH did find the class useful, especially learning about how to be an effective coach and what his role is going to be. 

One question I had for the BMB (that I also posted in the ticker change thread but hasn't been answered): the nurse leading the class told us they no longer stitch low grade tears after delivery. Apparently it's easier to heal without stitches (according to her). Has anyone else heard that? I heard the opposite from a friend in a different state so wondering if this is true in my hospital but not elsewhere?
  • Options
    @babyfmama - I really have no idea since I'm a FTM and haven't been to classes yet. But the horrid picture in my mind is of a vagina flapping in the wind because it wasn't stitched up! Yikes!
  • Options
    mrstmoose said:
    @babyfmama - I really have no idea since I'm a FTM and haven't been to classes yet. But the horrid picture in my mind is of a vagina flapping in the wind because it wasn't stitched up! Yikes!
    Aaaaand now I've got Elton John's 'candle in the wind' stuck in my head only with the lovely lyrics "And it seems to me that you lived your life like a vagina flapping in the wind"...

• Options
    mrstmoose said:
    Aaaaand now I've got Elton John's 'candle in the wind' stuck in my head only with the lovely lyrics "And it seems to me that you lived your life like a vagina flapping in the wind"...

• Options
    I was supposed to do a birthing class on Saturday but ended up bailing and just going for a long aimless walk instead.

I felt much better after the walk. Just a huge sense of relief, like some great burden had been taken away. Maybe I was stressing more than I'd realized about doing the class. Anyway, I might reschedule for March or I might not; haven't decided yet.

I'm really just posting because I thought it was so strange that I felt so content about not going. Normally I would never ditch a class or any kind of scheduled obligation. But this time, somehow, it felt completely different.
  • Options
    @merciel I kind of wish I hadn't gone to mine if you need any more justification for ditching. 
  • Options
    Aw, I'm bummed to hear you didn't get much out of yours.

I feel like going to the class would be a better benefit for my husband than for me. He really hasn't done much reading and has been pretty much just relying on me to take the lead on this, which I totally get but, at the same time, think maybe he'll want to be better prepared before the actual delivery date comes. Honestly that would be my main motivation for rescheduling, if I reschedule.

But on the other hand, the 87-page packet that got emailed to us before class (which I did read! all of it!) didn't do a whole ton to inspire confidence in me. It's hard to be completely on board when the instruction packet has stuff like "...if symptoms persist more than 12 to 24 hours, consider homeopathy." Uh, no thanks.
  • Options
    My husband did feel like he got a lot out of it, so that was the silver lining. He hasn't read nearly as much as I have so it was a crash course for him and upped his comfort level. For me it was mainly anxiety-producing. But maybe that's just me and others are enjoying their experiences. 
  • Options
    MercielMerciel member
    edited February 2016
    Why anxiety-producing?

edit: oh, wait, never mind (probably). Was it because of the tearing thing? I read that somewhere too. I think that's only for really minor tears, isn't it? If that's the case, then personally I'd be just as happy to do without the extra irritation of stitches if they aren't really necessary. Small cuts heal up fine everywhere else without stitches, why wouldn't that be true there too?
  • Options
    I thought the one day class was super helpful! I'm all about natural birth and after attending the class, my husband understands my feelings better. The class wasn't natural birth biased - it went through all the major options available and pros/cons of each, as well as intervention methods.

I also gained a much better understanding on the stages of labor, picked up on things to ask my doctor ahead of time, techniques to use through each stage of labor, and how to be an advocate for myself during labor.

It was a little overwhelming at points, and a major eye opener for my husband, but it was probably one of the best things I've done to prepare.  I'm also way more motivated to keep training/exercising as I now understand the role that it plays in labor/delivery much better, and my husband's support has increased 100%.