Questions:
Love: 8.10.99
Marriage: 12.18.04
DD1: 5.19.10
DD2: 4.11.12
#3 EDD 4.23.16

Re: GD/Diabetes Check In

• Gestational Week: 32 weeks

Successes: Numbers have been great all week - even had two truffles with dinner last night and was fine!

Challenges: We were away this weekend and DH's family doesn't eat dinner until 8pm sometimes... made it really hard to manage my meals this weekend but we made it through. Really happy we are planning on not traveling anymore - will be able to really get back into a routine.

Recipe/Tips: We don't eat out very often, but we did have to grab a quick bite last night on our way back into town - and I was so impressed with how few carbs Popeye's Chicken has!! Perhaps it was a bad thing to find out, but delicious, totally satisfying and well within limits on numbers... Heyo!

Questions: Do you get different reads on different hands?! I was in disbelief over a number I got (was still under 120 but higher than I thought I would be based on what I ate) so I tested again on my opposite hand and got a more realistic number... is that normal?
  • Gestational Week: 31

Successes: My post meal numbers overall have been in a good range for the last week or so, and I needed no med adjustments at my last appointment!  yay!

Challenges: My fasting numbers shot up, basically out of the blue!  My post dinner numbers have been fine, and I've been eating the same evening snack for a month or more, and within three days it went from consistently in the 70's to upper 90's.  So we had to make a nighttime insulin increase on the fly, which has mostly brought it down back into the 80's at lease.  Also, I've noticed that when my fasting numbers are in a higher range that my post breakfast numbers run higher as well, even though I take insulin and eat a fairly low number of carbs at breakfast (usually about 15g).

Recipe/Tips:

Questions:
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Loading the player...
  • Questions: Do you get different reads on different hands?! I was in disbelief over a number I got (was still under 120 but higher than I thought I would be based on what I ate) so I tested again on my opposite hand and got a more realistic number... is that normal?
    @allaire314 I sometimes do, and it's super frustrating.  It makes me question the accuracy of my machine.  The other morning when checking my fasting I got a 99 on my right hand, and 82 on my left.  So weird!  I know there's some margin for error on the machines, but it seems like it should be consistent on freshly washed hands from hand to hand within minutes!
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Questions: Do you get different reads on different hands?! I was in disbelief over a number I got (was still under 120 but higher than I thought I would be based on what I ate) so I tested again on my opposite hand and got a more realistic number... is that normal?
    @allaire314 I sometimes do, and it's super frustrating.  It makes me question the accuracy of my machine.  The other morning when checking my fasting I got a 99 on my right hand, and 82 on my left.  So weird!  I know there's some margin for error on the machines, but it seems like it should be consistent on freshly washed hands from hand to hand within minutes!
    Right?! Oh lordy - maybe it's time to calibrate it, but it just seems crazy because it's only been a couple of weeks. I read on one forum that a lady just tests in the same place every time for consistency... but I don't think my poor fingers could take that! I can see each little prick in my fingers from the past couple of weeks... I can't imagine them all going into the same one!
  • Gestational Week: 34

Successes:
    Number were good, but I had ketones so I upped my snacks a tiny bit and it's been working

Challenges:
    My husband got the stomach virus on Saturday night. I know I have to keep eating because of the baby but I keep wondering if this meal or snack will be my last... And honestly nothing approved would be good to ever see again!

questions:
    anyone having trouble posting on there day check ins here on the bump? I'm the weekend, but seeing all of what everyone is eating makes me jealous and somewhat hangry!

Also, any random ideas to make this little guy turn? My OP said it looks like he still has plenty of room to turn, but usually it becomes a concern around this time. He likes to suck his toe and can't do that when he is head down... I think he's just being stubborn!

@allaire314 really? Now it makes me wonder which is right! The high or the low? That is such a big range! I remember someone last week mentioning the hand soup thing... Which is logical but per hand? Ever get the feeling some of this is just plan arbitrary?
  • @korpatch Oh it makes me wonder all sorts of nonsense about how much I should really be worrying about this... smh... 

And I totally hear you about seeing what other people are eating... my big one is the Baby Shower thread... all the ice cream and cake pops... sigh! My baby shower is this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll be "forgetting to test"...
  • @allaire314Oh Gosh! Mine is this weekend too! The ladies who planned it tried to make everything diabetic friendly. I told them not to worry about it because I want everyone else to enjoy the food! As long as they have veggies, cheese, and chocolate cake, I'll be happy! I'll still test, but my perinatologist  (sp?) said she didn't care if I ate cake at my baby shower as long as I counted it, pared it with protein, and let her know next to the sugar level why it was so high. I want chocolate cake so bad!
  • @korpatch- have you looked at any of the info on spinningbabies.com?  It's worth a try.  As a last resort you could also talk to your doctor about an external cephalic version procedure to turn the baby.

FWIW, I had a breech baby last time (DD#2).  None of the inversions and chiropractic stuff worked for me though :( I had planned for a ECV attempt, but due to some other medical concerns (and the fact that I went into labor a little early) we could not proceed.

At my 28week u/s this baby (DD#3) was transverse, and I'm super freaked that she won't go head down.  I'm really hoping for a VBAC.

#3 EDD 4.23.16

• Did you end up with a c-section last time? My doctor already talked about ECV as a possibility in a couple of weeks... But the success rate for that is around 60% and less than that for first pregnancies... So if this little guy doesn't do it on his own... It's likely not going to happen.
    if you did have a c-section, any tips or suggestions? I am terrified of huge needles and surgery (i freaked out in the chair before getting my wisdom teeth out)

on a different note, my doctor said I can go down to testing only twice a day. Fasting and then alternating meals. I don't know really how to go about accomplishing that... I'm afraid I might get tempted to start cheating on the diet plan... On the bright side I can legitly not test after my baby shower this weekend... Still will feel guilty though :'(  
  • @korpatch yup, had a c/s. I was very apprehensive beforehand, but kind of went with the flow as it was happening. 
    #3 EDD 4.23.16