May 2016 Moms
Options

Sacroiliac joint pain

so I've been having wicked pain in my hip/lower back/ into my butt on my right side. When I went to the doctors today for our monthly appointment I finally mentioned it and she thinks it's sacroiliac joint pain, from leaning back more now when I stand and walk due to my growing stomach. She suggested looking up stretches for it online before going referring me to physical therapy. 

Any of you also experiencing this or know of any stretches that help it? 

Re: Sacroiliac joint pain

• Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited February 2016
    You'll want to focus on stretching the periformis muscle. This link provides a pregnancy-friendly stretch with some additional information: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/piriformis-stretch

Eta: A chiropractor who is certified to work with pregnant women, or  D.O. who practices manipulation can help a lot as well.
  • Options
    Yes. And also make sure you are using some sort of body pillow between your knees at night. This helps keep the joint in alignment as you sleep on your side.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been having excruciating SI joint pain (along with pubic symphysis pain). What has helped me the most is dynamic flexibility-type stuff: hip circles, leg swings, variations on squats and lunges, animal movements, moving around in various stretches, etc. Static stretches didn't help me much. If you're interested, I can post what I do in more detail. 
  • Options
    Thank you guys for your help! 

@TheThornBird those suggestions definitely are helpful and I'll have to give them a try! It's been wicked painful and really don't want to have to go to physical therapy
  • Options
    I had similar pain and going to the chiropractor took care of it completely. Just once, and I'm only going in for maintenance once a month or so.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I actually just did physical therapy for my severe hip pain and ended up with a maternity SI belt which has been a lifesaver for me. My issue is that my hips are moving/separating too much and I need to tighten up instead. This is kid #3 for me.

My therapist is having me do low intensity strengthening exercises like pelvic tilts and kegals and didn't have me stretch at all since it would only make the issue worse. It was a pain making the pt appt but I ended up needed the opposite of what I thought of what I needed to do
  • Options
    Go to a chiropractor... 
  • Options
    1) Do a search for the various threads where we've talked about back and hip pain and what everyone is doing to help themselves. I can't recall how many times I've recommended seeing a..............  

2) .......Chiropractor who specializes in Webster technique

3) Prenatal yoga with Blooma certified instructor. I recently discovered pigeon pose really helps with my SI pain. 
  • Options
    Second your doctor's physical therapy recommendation. They will work to solve the problem not just a quick pain fix (like many...not all....but many chiropractors do).  
  • Options
    I'd definitely recommend seeing a pelvix health physiotherapist if you can find one in your area. I've had some hip alignment issues and that helped anlot. I've also posted some of the exercises she gets me to do for that on another post. 
  • Options
    I've had ongoing SI joint issues long before pregnancy. I find that if I go to a chiropractor as soon as it flares up it helps. My chiro does a deep tissue release as well which also helps quite tremendously. I will usually require a couple of appointments to start and then go for maintenance after. That said, I haven't yet gone since pregnant.