January 2016 Moms
Options

Line between baby blues and PPD

sometimes I cry or get sad thinking about how my baby is growing up and that time is going by so fast. Would this be baby blues or just a normal part of being a mother and loving your baby? I don't really feel sad other than that.  And also since I'm almost 4 weeks Pp (on Sunday), does this mean I have postpartum depression? I know that I have postpartum anxiety. I feel anxious at random times when I'm just sitting there like there's something I should be doing and also when Jackson is inconsolable for a period of time. I also feel really anxious when people pass my baby around or when certain people hold him. Basically anyone other than my mom haha. I have struggled with bad depression and anxiety before I was pregnant (and some anxiety during pregnancy) and I just wanna keep on top of it. 

Re: Line between baby blues and PPD

• Options
    I don't know where the line is - I had bad anxiety before and get very anxious when people other than my mom, husband and MIL hold baby.  I signed up with a therapist a few weeks before baby was born since I've had anxiety before and it has been helpful.  It can't hurt for you to talk to someone even if it just is baby blues. 
  • Options
    Sounds reasonable in my opinion.  In fact you sound just like me! And I don't feel I'm suffering from PPD or PPA.  Those sounds like rational things to be sad/anxious about, and as long as it's not interfering with your life I think you're ok. But it's good to be mindful of where you are at mentally and discuss how you're feeling with people who are close to you.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sounds likes baby blues :) my doc said if I ever can't sleep due to sadness/anxiety, or freeze and feel like Im not coping, or have more down days than up to come talk to her about ppd. If you're experiencing any of that maybe go see your doc. The weepy oh ylmy goodness he's growing so fast is baby blues. 
  • Options
    Nobody can diagnose you over the Internet but it sounds like a lot of what you are going through is normal. I would suggest even if you don't have post partum depression or anxiety, find someone to talk too about these feelings. It can really help. I talked to a counsellor after my son was born as I had so many unexpected feelings and it was overwhelming. If you don't have time to see a counsellor or therapist a crisis phone line is a good option. I work for one and trust me there is no problem too small. A lot of people phone even just because they are lonely and need someone to talk too. Another option is online support. Counsellors and volunteers are able to support you via text or Skype. We live in a time where new moms who can't leave the house have a lot of options. You don't need a diagnosis of anything. Sometimes it's just good to talk with a stranger about how your feeling. 

• Options
    I definitely don't feel as though it's interfering with my life in any way. I plan on talking to my doctor at my checkup but was just curious. Thanks everyone. 
  • Options
    If you've struggled with it before I would definitely chat with your doctor about it to be safe. That being said it sounds pretty normal, especially if you feel like you're still living life pretty normally. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options

Congrats on your sweet baby!  From what you have said, it sounds like you are experiencing the joys of being a mama.  Anxiety and some bouts of sadness are fairly normal.  Hormones can really effect how we feel in those first few months after birth.  Here is an article that might help you too. https://bit.ly/1TwqN4e Don’t be afraid to reach out to a counselor too.  It can be a great help to have someone to talk to during those first months.  

• Options
    I think those are normal concerns, IMO ppd is crippling, not just "oh no my time is flying by!" I struggled with it with my first and I had thoughts that my family would be better off without me, I was worthless as a mother, etc. opposite extreme, but something to keep in mind if things get worse!
  • Options
    You sound like a mama! And don't think too hard about time frame. PPD can pop up anytime that first year! With DD my PPD didn't rear its ugly head until 4 mo PP. Definitely keep talking with your doctor to stay updated. Better safe than sorry! I know I wish I had spoken up sooner. 

***and just something to share from my experience... I was first prescribed zoloft because I was BF-ing but it was not working. The dr I saw at the time just told me to wait it out and it'll get better. Saw a different doctor who prescribed lexapro (traditionally not a go-to for BF-ing mamas with PPD due to not AS MUCH research done on effects in milk vs zoloft. But still deemed safe!) Night and day difference! Keep at it if you're feeling bad. There's always another option!
  • Options
    I would still definitely talk to your doctor since it sounds like you could have PPA. She may say you just need to give it more time or she could recommend therapy or medication if you feel it's needed.