January 2016 Moms
Options

Plugged duct

is anyone else struggling with a plugged milk duct? I have one red one and one flesh colored one ... They were going away after baby nursed but the red one is no longer going away after nursing. Unfortunately I didn't even think to ask the doctor about it at my 6 week check up. Should I go back in? Has anyone found any remedies? Also it's not painful unless I'm engorged. 

Re: Plugged duct

• Options
    I massaged my clogged duct while BFing or pumping. It took a little bit but it worked. Just use two fingures and rub circles on the clogged duct.
    But if its turning red it might be getting infected even if it doesn't hurt yet. If you can't get it unclogged today i'd call your doctor or LC.
  • Options
    I use a warm compress before nursing and massage while LO is nursing. I'm not gentle about the massage either, I really dig in to the duct. I will also add a pump in if LO is sleeping and massage while doing that. Also a cold compress after nursing. Usually I can get it fixed within 24 hours but I have to be on top of the warm compresses especially. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try a fine tooth comb as well. (Towards the nipple) Oh and a disposable diaper in hot water as a compress! It will stay hotter longer than a wet/warm towel. 

N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • Options
    leap_frog said:
    Try a fine tooth comb as well. (Towards the nipple) Oh and a disposable diaper in hot water as a compress! It will stay hotter longer than a wet/warm towel. 

Wow, great tip about the diaper!
  • Options
    One tip I read that I think ended up working for me is called "dangle feeding." Kinda strange, but I was desperate and trying everything!! Here's a link on how to do it: https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

Kellymon also has a great page on plugged duct vs mastitis. Good luck! 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I've been massaging the duct while feeding her and it's looking a lot better!! I will try the compress when I get home!
  • Options
    I "dangle feed" with my pump and lots of massage. 8 weeks PP and I am finally not getting practically one/week.