February 2016 Moms

Crazy mood swings??

im at 38 1/2 weeks and I feel like I'm just constantly having ups and downs. My poor husband doesn't know how to handle me right now. I am chalking a lot of my extreme mood swings on how uncomfortable I am but I am just really hoping that this doesn't morph into any sort of postpartum depression. Is that a possibility? Has anyone experienced this before? I feel that once I see my baby's face all of my "crazy" will go away but I may be a fool to think that. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you. 

Answers

• PPD is possible for anyone, even with "perfect" pregnancies. As for mood swings, I will say that I had to restrain myself this morning to keep from hitting my husband for breathing too loud. It made me irrationally angry. So yes, I'd say mood swings are a normal part of the hormones for a lot of people. It took a couple weeks after delivery for me to feel like my hormones were a little more balanced last time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was considering the same thing myself, I hope this is normal. I am 40+3 and I hate my husband right now and I feel completely justified in everything I'm upset about. It will be interesting to see if the feeling lasts after our son is born. I hope it is just our hormones, and I hope you feel better. It's not nice feeling crazy.

• Loading the player...
  • @ThePregonator FWIW, while my hormones were still out of whack, I loved my husband so much more after our LO was born and I saw him with her (sappy and cliche, I know). Don't get me wrong, there were still times that I wondered where I was going to hide his body, but the hormones weren't directed at him as much after delivery. 

• I'm 38+3 and DH getting a lot of hormones chucked at him too! Mainly for breathing, swallowing and chewing loudly! He is being very patient! Hehe! Hoping this goes quickly after birth! 
  • 39+2 and I've been getting moody over the slightest things but trying to keep it contained. It's just a normal part of the hormonal crazy train that is pregnancy at this point I suppose. I feel guilty that I was in one of these moods when DH found out he got the job he's been fretting over for the past few weeks but it is what it is and thankfully I have a very sweet and understanding DH.

• Thank-you for the encouragement, I'm assuming it's just hormones and I know I love him, as I'm sure you all know you just seem to forget it sometimes. I really do hope it gets better, feel like I am insane.
  • Those third trimester hormones are no joke. Hang in there, mama - it'll get better! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I felt the exact same way during the last month of pregnancy. I felt myself taking any and all frustration out on DH and I could feel how irrational it was. I was worried about PPD, especially since I have a history of anxiety/depression. I'm now 2 days postpartum and I don't feel as crazy as I did. Of course, when DH is getting to sleep for hours at a time and he's bothering me about the TV remote, I have to calm myself and not strangle him with the phone charger. But overall I feel good. I know there's still plenty of time for hormones to get out of whack again but the fact that I've only had a few happy tears is a good sign, I think 
  • I felt the same way during the end of my pregnancy.  I think our bodies and hormones are just gearing up for what we need to do, and we can only handle so much at one time.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • FTM here, everyone kept telling me I was "too happy" to have a baby during the weeks leading up to my water breaking. 24-48 hours before going into labor, I was so annoyed by anything/anyone that breathed! I was uber crabby towards my students. Hang in there...it may mean you're getting close! 
  • I've been uber crabby and its been worse the past couple days. My family and friends keep calling or texting to check on if I'm in labor and I messaged my mom last night to tell her that I'm going into hibernation and for her to please apologize for me. I just want to be left alone!