January 2016 Moms

Baby gets mad when....

When feeding my 7 week old he gets so mad when we take away his bottle. 

I feed him 1/2 then I have to burp him when I take the bottle away he squeals and cries so much he cannot burp and he starts bucking so we can't burp him properly and he proceeds to spit up. 
Then we give the bottle back, he happily eats and finishes the bottle he does the same thing and cries and cries until we give him his paci... 
We just recently started giving him 3oz instead of the 2.5oz we had been giving him ( even though he was doing the same thing with the 2.5oz) it's not like he's hungry it's just he gets so mad we took his bottle away. 
Any suggestions?? 

Re: Baby gets mad when....

• My son does this on occasion to. I sit him up on my lap (head supported in the front) and lean him forward a bit.  It makes it harder for him to buck.

It is not perfect but it helps.  If he is really going nuts I give in snd give him another ounce or so,
  • Mines the exact same way. She will eat an oz, and then I'll burp her but she freaksssss outttttt. Acts like she hasnt eaten in days. Burping it burtal because she has super strong legs and starts to stand up( shes 4 weeks today) and flails all about. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hahaha my little one does the SAME thing while feeding. She throws a royal fit when I take the bottle away and I just laugh now.

I don't know how much your son weighs, but maybe he does need more ounces? My babe is the same age and she's been eating 4 ounces for about two weeks now and she's starting to want 5 every so often. Doctor said for her weight/age that's a good amount! As long as she's not spitting up, of course. 
  • @scornwell717
    Denver will be 8 weeks on Saturday ( two months on the 26th) 
    last check up he weighed 10lbs and some oz. 
    when we went we told the doctor how much we fed him 2.5oz and she was ok with that. 
    We tried giving him 4oz and he was fussy and miserable all night so we went back to 2.5oz he spits up a little with that. 
    But, one night last week he wanted more so we started feeding him 3oz which he was fine with until he started spitting it up Everytime we burped him.. So now, we are back down to 2.5 with no spit up so far... 
    Im worried we will have to switch formulas if he can't stop spitting it up and we can't increase his intake. 
    He eats 2.5oz every 3-4hrs but I can't increase his oz without him spitting it up :-/
  • @carlyhammond aww poor guy! Yeah maybe he does need a formula switch? I mean obviously if the doctor says 2.5-3 oz is fine then I'd listen to them but it just sounds like such a small amount for his age and weight. Abby was born on the same day (#twinning) and is justttt about 10 lbs
  • We used to have the spitting up issue too. I end up burping every 3 minutes or so during each feeding and he royally hates burping too lol This has helped tremendously with his spitting up and I've been able to add an ounce to his normal bottle. There is something called being a heavy spitter you might want to ask his pedi about if he does spit up most of the time. It's harmless from what I understand, just messy ;)
  • @carlyhammond My LO spits up, quite a bit too.  It is sometimes very random.  We will go 1-2 feedings with no issues, then all of a sudden, he will spit up quite a bit at the next feeding.  We were told to go from 3-3.5 oz. each feeding down to 2.5-3.  We stuck at 2.5 for the most part and things were going well.  He never acted hungry after his bottle was done, and he was spitting up less when we were giving him the smaller amount.  When I went to the Pedi. GI dr. this week and I told him how much he eats, he suggested that I mix 1tsp. rice cereal for every oz. to help keep the spit up down, but that the 2.5 wasn't maybe enough for him at this point. DS only weighs 7lb 9oz.  So we are now back up to the 3-3.5 and while he does spit up a bit still, being able to put even a tsp. a rice cereal in his bottles has helped. We also burp him every oz. and that seems to help.  He went from being okay, being burped, to pitching a fit every time we take the bottle away. 

• My LO does the same when burping. I will say gripe water has been a savior , she burps way easier when we use it. I have noticed she spits up more often lately but I think that's my fault because I'll lay her down to change her shortly after feeding at night.  She's almost 6 weeks weighing 9 pounds , we feed her 3.5 every 3 hours .
  • We go back to the pedi march 8th I'll talk to the doctor then. 
    We already had a discussion about switching formula once already. 
    Unfourtunately he's already on gerber good start soothe which apprently is one of the best formulas out there for gas/colic so we may have to switch to soy based formulas (I've heard that makes babies more gassy) 
    so.... There's that 

hes growing according to plan and gaining weight it's just he doesn't tolerate more than 2.5oz and hates being burped 
  • BF babies don't need to be burped in the same way as bottle fed babies.
    If your baby spits up when you burp them, you could try doing it a little less vigorously and see if that helps as well. 
  • Some babies are just happy spitters and there is actually nothing wrong. My LO spits up all the time, but LC, MW and Pedi all agree there is nothing wrong, it will go away as their digestive system matures more.
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • My LO also spits up often and Pedi says that everything is fine. As long as he/she is gaining weight and has lots of wet diapers, things are okay.