Babies: 0 - 3 Months

One week old yellow throw up

sanayelisanayeli member
edited February 2016 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
My lo is one week old and I have been breastfeeding and formula feeding. I pumped and gave her breastmilk burped her and laid her in her bouncer . She spit up a yellowish stuff . This is the first time she has ever spit up yellow. Is it normal ? Has anyone had any experience in this? I called the pediatrician but they suck I had to leave a message and the recording said it may take 24 hours to return my call. I don't want to take her to the doctor if it's normal.

Re: One week old yellow throw up

• Hmm, how yellow? I would keep calling the doctor or an on call doctor if you had to. Never good to let anything like this go with a baby so young.
  • Spit up is pretty normal, vomiting is not. If baby wasn't distressed and it wasn't projectile it's probably fine. I would still try to get in touch with the pedi. He/she will probably say it's ok unless it continues. If it happens again and you still haven't heard back try to get in to see someone. Better safe than sorry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Breast milk at 1 week still has colostrum in it, which is yellow. It can sometimes look really super yellow as spit up. I have an 11 day old and the spit up is now just starting to look more like milk. If it keeps happening, I would worry, but only once it's probably nothing concerning. I would definitely wait for a call. Taking an infant into the ER who's under 30 days of age automatically lands the baby in the hospital for multiple days. My baby spiked a fever of 100.4 at 3 days old due to dehydration (they told me breast was all he needed, but there wasn't anything there for him). Just make sure he's actually ill before you take a baby in. Definitely get advice from your pedi.
  • Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited February 2016
    Breast milk at 1 week still has colostrum in it, which is yellow. It can sometimes look really super yellow as spit up. I have an 11 day old and the spit up is now just starting to look more like milk. If it keeps happening, I would worry, but only once it's probably nothing concerning. I would definitely wait for a call. Taking an infant into the ER who's under 30 days of age automatically lands the baby in the hospital for multiple days. My baby spiked a fever of 100.4 at 3 days old due to dehydration (they told me breast was all he needed, but there wasn't anything there for him). Just make sure he's actually ill before you take a baby in. Definitely get advice from your pedi.
    It depends what you take the baby in for. We took our DD into the er at 9 days old for an eye infection/subsequent allergic reaction to erythromycin. They never assumed meningitis (sensibly) and we were discharged after a few hours. Of course if there is a fever they will assume meningitis to be safe as that's the most common cause of fever in a baby under 1 month old. And if your less than 1 month old has a fever, you better get to the er as it can be fatal. 
  • Our pedi said it's a problem if it's green or if the baby vomits meaning it shoots out of their mouth.  If you are concerned, then call your pedi.