Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How to avoid cravings?

Hey all, im 31 weeks pregnant and the cravings are really coming in strong. this is my second baby and even though the first one wasnt as bad, ive noticed that this time around my cravings are insufferable. I find myself wanting a lot of things that are salty in nature, i.e like potato chips, but I dont really want to be consuming that much starch while pregnant. Any advice on alternatives or how to settle the cravings down a little bit? Thanks.

Re: How to avoid cravings?

• The only thing I can think of is to try to keep yourself full with healthy stuff. If you aren't hungry, maybe you'll be less likely to crave things.
  • And drink lots and lots of water. A lot of time we start craving things simply because we are thirsty. Or allow yourself some of the things you crave. Maybe stretch the items out so they last all day and then you'll have something to look forward to?
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, this sounds like a good idea, ill have to give it a try. Any advice on some salty foods i can piece out throughout the day?
  • KD2401 said:
    Thanks, this sounds like a good idea, ill have to give it a try. Any advice on some salty foods i can piece out throughout the day?

There are salty chips that aren't terrible for you. Grab a huge handful and put them in a few different Ziploc baggies and eat them over the course of the day.

What about peanuts? Or other salty nuts? Salami?

• KD2401 said:
    Thanks, this sounds like a good idea, ill have to give it a try. Any advice on some salty foods i can piece out throughout the day?

There are salty chips that aren't terrible for you. Grab a huge handful and put them in a few different Ziploc baggies and eat them over the course of the day.

What about peanuts? Or other salty nuts? Salami?

Nuts are great for late pregnancy. They are high in magnesium which helps prevent preterm contractions. I ate a lot of trail mix in my last trimester. 
  • I've heard that if you are craving salt it means you need to drink more water. I didn't have any cravings when I was pregnant, but I've found this to be true for non preggers craving. 
    Otherwise nuts are a great salty food and you can buy veggie chips too.