May 2016 Moms
Options

Baby pictures

What are your thoughts on doing a first year of pictures package for baby with newborn, 3, 6, 9, & 12 month pictures? Is it worth it to spend a good chunk of money & book a package with a professional photographer? Or save money & use a portrait studio like sears or portrait innovations? 

Re: Baby pictures

• Options
    jessib899jessib899 member
    edited February 2016
    Personally I think that's a lot of portraits. I want professionals done for newborn, 6 and 12 months-- I'm lucky and have a few photographer friends that want to do it as a gift. The time in between will be captured with my own camera
  • Options
    I had a friend who did this and thought it was great. I wish I had found someone to do it for my first, but since I didn't I don't feel right about doing it for baby #2. 

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a photographer myself, I say do it if you can afford it! If it would save you money, then newborn, 6 months, and a year would be great!
  • Options
    I have friends who did those packages and loved it. I personally like some of the baby photography better than the mall portrait studios. It's a personal preference and if you can afford it. My mom does photography on the side and I know we'll do newborn photos and she does family pictures for us every year. I take enough pictures daily in between those times. 
  • Options
    I'm personally doing some maternity and newborn pictures. However, I decided not to look into those packages because I find they become quite expensive. The photographer we're going with does a lot of 'mini-sessions', 15-30 min and just a few pictures, for a fraction of the price. I'm thinking that's probably more along the line of what we'll do. And let's face it, I'll probably be taking plenty of pic myself...
  • Options
    I've signed up for a 4 session package that includes maternity, newborn, 6 months, and 1 year. I absolutely love professionally done pictures. I do agree that they are pretty pricey but I think I got a good deal on them and I'm able to pay for each portion separately which enables me to easily work it in to my expenses so oppose to one huge payment. I know I won't regret so it's well worth it to me :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just curious--do you plan to put those pictures in a photo album, or display all of them in the house? 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    edited February 2016
      You will not regret really great pictures of your baby ever.

• Options
    I just booked maternity & newborn pictures today.  I'm not sure if I'm going to do 6 month pictures yet, probably a mini session if I do.  But I will definitely plan to do one year photos.
  • Options
    If you can afford it, you should do it. I had a newborn, 3,6,9,12 months package and it was worth it. You can beber have enough cute pictures of your baby
  • Options
    I know this isn't for everyone, but my choice: about $500 on a nice DSLR camera (I got it a few years ago though), and so far about $300 on photography classes that have made a world of difference in my ability to take nice pictures. I know this doesn't touch the quality of equipment and expertise of most professional photographers, but it's a huge step above, and having nice every day pictures of my friends and family (and soon baby!) has made it well worth it, as opposed to the occasional real photo-shoot with a photographer. Obvious downsides are that I'm not in any of these pictures, and having someone else orchestrate everything forces you to actually do it so you don't just forget about it. But for anyone wondering about the investment level to have decent pictures, I think the DIY route with photography is totally worth it, and a lot of fun.