January 2016 Moms
Options

Any other breastfeeding moms with hashimoto's thyroiditis? Or breastfeeding moms with low supply?

maureenmcemaureenmce member
edited February 2016 in January 2016 Moms
I've been on quite the breastfeeding odyssey to figure out what was wrong and why LO was losing weight and then not regaining fast enough.  At first we thought it was the fault of a shallow latch, but after a one on one lactation consultation today, including weighted feeds, she told me that I have supply issues.  After feeding 20 minutes on each side, she found out that LO is only getting about .2 ounces out of each breast, even with a correct latch, and she needs to be having about 2.2-2.5 oz each feed.  I have a thyroid autoimmune disease (hashimoto's thyroiditis) and the lactation consultant told me that some women with hashimoto's can't produce much milk, so there is a possibility that no matter what I do, I will have low supply.

We have been supplementing with formula since day 2, because of her weight loss/dehydration/slow weight gain issues, but I was holding out hope that I could eventually EBF once my milk fully came in and we fixed whatever was wrong with the latch.  But now I'm feeling a bit down because I've been having fenugreek, oatmeal, and coconut water, as well as feeding every 2-3 hours, and pumping a couple of times a day too, so I think I'm doing everything I can to increase supply and I may be stuck with just a little milk.  Until she regains her birth weight we are feeding her at the breast but with an SNS supplementation device so she's receiving whatever breast milk I have plus 2 oz of formula at the same time.  I'm happy as long as she is gaining weight but I admit I'm really disappointed that breastfeeding may not be something I can do exclusively, and I'm wondering if there are benefits of continuing, if my supply stays so low, or if it's easier/less of a headache to switching to all formula at some point, maybe after a month or two of trying to increase.

Anyway, any other hashimoto's moms (or low supply moms) in a similar position?  Did you ever get enough milk to EBF?  If so, any tips?  My endocrinologist usually doesn't evaluate medication levels until 6 weeks postpartum (once all the hormones settle down) but did anyone else have the experience of them adjusting meds earlier due to low supply?

And, if you never got enough milk to EBF did you keep breastfeeding the little bit you have and supplementing with formula as well?  Or did you go all formula at some point?  I'm trying to take things one day at a time but I'd love to hear from any other low supply or hashimoto's moms and learn about what you did, feeding wise, moving forward - whether you kept up a combo approach or went just formula and how your experience has been.

Thanks so much!

Re: Any other breastfeeding moms with hashimoto's thyroiditis? Or breastfeeding moms with low supply?

• Options
    I have a friend with thyroid issues. I'm not certain of the particular type.she struggled big time and her lo lost weight like crazy. She pumped took supplements ect. to no avail. She has started reglan as a last ditch effort at 5 or six wks pp. It boosted her supply in 24 hrs. It's been 2 weeks and she has stopped supplementing. Though from what I know she still has to bottle feed pumped bm after a feed. I will talk to her and find out more info!
  • Options
    I have Hashimoto. No problems EBF so far - 3 weeks. I feed on demand, which is about every couple of hours at night and sometimes 3hours non stop from one boob or another during the day. The more stimulation the better and I drink tea 3-4 cups a day
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've also got thyroid issues (Grave's instead of Hashimoto), but no supply issues.  It took my milk forever to come in, so i was really worried for a while and we needed to supplement with formula for the first 2.5 weeks.  I've been eating lactation cookies and tea like a crazy person since day 1, not sure if that made any difference.    My doc also wants to wait 6 weeks to test my levels, but if you're having problems maybe they'll be willing to see you sooner? 
  • Options
    I also have Hashimotos, but have had no issues with supply. I've been EBF and my son is almost 4 weeks. I am on levothyroxine at 125. No changes to dosage yet, but all of my doctors were very clear that taking my meds everyday without fail, and being sure to wait an hour after taking them before eating or drinking, was going to be very important in terms of milk supply. I also will have my levels checked at 6 weeks, but agree with the pp that you should ask if you can get checked sooner. 

How old is your LO? Do you feed on demand? I sometimes feel like I am constantly nursing him, but I think feeding on demand is what really established my supply. (For what it's worth that's usually every 2 hours during the day, and maybe every 3 at night, but sometimes it's every hour) 

My opinion is that any breast milk is better than none, but you are doing great mama. Keep it up and do what you feel is best for both you and your baby. If it gets too hard to do both, or is causing you more stress than is good for you (also a supply killer) then formula is totally fine and everyone will be fed and happy. 
  • Options
    My sister had low supply and used the SNS. For her baby it didn't help build her supply because he came to recognize that food came faster and easier out of the SNS and would try to avoid the nipple to get just the SNS. At least that is how she explained it to me. She still EP for a year despite having low supply even though she took all the boosting meds, ate well etc. She is what some might call a bf nazi though, to her it was very important she provide him bm, even if it was a little and she still supplemented. 
  • Options
    I have a low supply, and I'm 5 weeks pp. We started supplementing on day 3. When my milk finally came in, it still wasn't enough. So, we're doing what you've said, I bf when I can, and supplement the rest of the time. I want to keep giving dd as much breast milk as I can because I know it's good for her. But mostly I just really love the time with her.  I know I'll never get this time back. 
    I'm super disappointed that I couldn't EBF, but I can get a little extra sleep, because DH can feed her too (which he loves.)  Plus, it's easier for me to get out of the house when I need to. None of that is as good as being able to EBF, but we have to make the best of what we have. 
  • Options
    I have Hashimoto's and was so concerned about BFing while pregnant. Both my OB and Endo reassured me that as long as my medication was correct, there was no reason to believe my thyroid would interfere with breastfeeding. I was bumped up from 175 to 200 mcg Synthroid during pregnancy. Last week I had an appt with my endo and he ordered bloodwork. I should be hearing about the results soon. He's anticipating I'm going to stay on the higher dose. 
    That said, we have been about 90% EBF. Early in the day, my supply is great. As the afternoon goes on, he nurses for longer periods of time, I'm guessing because my supply is lessening. By about 10pm, he gets so frantic while nursing that I end up letting him suck for about an hour then give him a bottle. Sometimes expressed milk, sometimes formula. He usually will take 3-4 oz at that time, which tells me he isn't getting very much from me in that hour I let him nurse. 
    DH and I talk every day about whether we should continue BFing or switch to formula completely. It certainly would be easier and there would be no guessing how much he is getting.  For right now, his diaper output is right on track so we will continue with our current regimen, but I know that if BFing doesn't work out, for whatever reason, I'll be ready to face that realization and move on.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
     also have hoshimotos but am not on medication yet. I'm feeling super tired even with standing to doing housework , I have my appointment today so they can recheck my levels.  I too struggled with BF, my milk took about a week to come in and I didn't know I should have been pumping every 3 hours , mean while I was heavily supplementing to get baby up to birth weight.  By the time I added in pumping I already had a pretty low supply.  Bf wasn't working out BC she has a shallow latch which was super painful. I talked to two LC whom both said her latch looked fine.  So I went to pumping and supplemented with formula.  Pumping is very rough !!! It was hard to be at home alone with baby and be on the pump for 20 or so minutes at a time to get anywhere from 3 to 1 ounce.  I decided to give up pumping and started to dry my supply up when I discovered baby had a lip tie which was likely causing the pain. I'm soo annoyed that LC or pedi never checked !!!  So now we are 100% formula but I will say I don't miss my time attached to a pump at all  
  • Options
    I had low supply, only producing about 10-12 oz a day with around the clock EPing, after every OTC mediation, large doses of fenugreek, blessed thistle, and alfalfa (along with oatmeal, brewers yeast, etc.) my supply increased to 20-22 oz per day. So now it's "borderline".  I still supplement with formula 4-8 oz per day. For my last ditch effort to give breast milk exclusively I ordered Domperidone from an overseas pharmacy. I'm waiting to get it to see if it will bring me up to what my baby needs. If that doesn't work then I'll just continue to supplement. 
  • Options
    Did anyone check with your dr before starting fenugreek? My LC suggested I try it but wants me to confirm with my endo first. She said the research wasn't definite whether it's safe to take with a thyroid issue and she would be more comfortable with him making the decision. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    I am hypo and had a hard time establishing my supply. Even with taking fenugreek, pumping, eating all the recommended foods and nursing on demand. I was only getting about 8oz a day. @MissMheMhe my LC had told me that it was absolutely fine taking fenugreek along with my levithyroxine and even said that if I took Domperidone that wouldn't interact either. I go in for my appointment with the endo on Monday I can def tell my levels are off (they increase me 50mcs during pregnancy) I tried to get in earlier but they had no availability. :( 

but it for what it's worth, I ended up getting bad hives every time I had a let down nursing and both my LC, Pedi and GP advised me to stop nursing as they were starting to get in my eyes and throat. So now I am formula feeding and still struggle emotionally with not being able to provide any of the benefits of of BFing to my baby. In my opinion any breast milk is better than none. But a well feed baby whether by formula or breast milk is really all that matters. 

best of luck to all you ladies!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all of the replies.  I'm really heartened to see so many of you with no problems with supply.   I'm going to call my endo on Monday and see if she can bump up my evaluation.  I've been having some hypo symptoms, so I'm wondering if my meds need to be increased and if so, hoping that'll fix the supply issue.

In the meantime, I'm just breastfeeding what I have, supplementing what LO needs and pumping and taking fenugreek, etc. to boost supply as much as I can.  Worst case scenario, if I have to combo feed with breastmilk and formula I'll make that work, but I'm still hoping I can turn this around in the next couple weeks.

Again, thanks all!  Very helpful feedback.