TTC After a Loss
Options

Referral to gynecology?

I would like your ladies honest opinion. Sorry this may get long but I feel like my background is necessary for advice.

I went off Depo (shot) in December 2014 (thats when I was supposed to get another one). My cycles resumed late February 2015. They were 24-26 days with about 2-3 days of AF with a day of spotting before and after. I never really had cramps or crazy/bad PMS symptoms. We started TTC in July 2015 (we were preventing prior). I started charting right away. Based on my first 2 cycles charting I believe its safe to say my LP was 14 days.

I got my BFP on cycle 3 (Sept). MC on November 8 naturally. My HCG was followed down to 4 on Nov 24 (probably sooner but only had bloodwork once a week), but I had no other follow ups/ultrasounds or anything. Right after I MC I had a fever/cough (supposedly not related to the MC). My first cycle returned 26 days post MC. I still had the cough in early December and took antibiotics. O was delayed but still happened and has each cycle around the usual time.

Since my MC my LP has been about 11 days. I noticed that my PMS symptoms are way worse than they have ever been, especially just before this last AF. I had cramps so bad they reminded me of the pain during my MC (not quite as bad but almost). The day before that I cried for 40 minutes for no reason (mentioned in other thread). My moods have been swinging.

I am now starting my 4th cycle post MC and am starting to worry that something is wrong. I guess I feel this way because my LP seems to not want to go back to my normal 14 days and the way my PMS has been. I only have been seeing my PCP (she does prenatal visits up to 28 weeks). I asked her about this LP issue and she said since it is only been a few months not to worry, but if I want she would refer me to gynecology.

So my question is do you guys think I am being BSC and should just chill out and see what happens or should I take the referral to gynecology and see what they think? All of my charts since July are in my siggy. Thanks in advance.
TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: Referral to gynecology?

• Options
    Honestly, the only thing I think may be worth following up on are the cramps. If they are that painful, that would raise a flag for me. It could be completely normal, but you never know.  That said, I'd probably wait another cycle or two to know if the bad cramping will be persistent.

Otherwise, the rule of thumb after a MC is that there is no rule of thumb. Things may change completely, or not at all, and you can't necessarily expect things to go back to normal. I wouldn't worry too much about the LP - 11 days is still within the range of normal. Nothing else sticks out here for me as particularly worrisome.
  • Options
    I agree with @RiverSong15 that the only 'normal' after MC seems to be that there is no 'normal.'  My LP has varied as well.  I'm about to start my 4th cycle after MC and my LP has been 10, 11, and now 12 days respectively (I can't tell you what mine is before MC because the first month I finally decided to chart is the month I got BFP).  My cramps have been worse on the whole since MC, I bleed heavier and longer than I used to, and worse PMS symptoms overall than I'd had before MC.  :(  But if you are alarmed or want peace of mind, definitely see a gyne about it.  

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am also on my 4th cycle post MC. My LP has been under 10 days each cycle, with the lowest being 5 or 6 days I think. Like you, when I had previously charted before giving birth and my MC I was a consistent 14-15 days LP person. I'm assuming it is related to the MC, but it still concerns me. An 11 day LP is still in the range of normal, low, but still normal. 

As far as everything else, if your intuition is making you think something is wrong address it. I have always been the last person to go to the doctor and then my miscarriage happened. For weeks while I was pregnant, I suspected something was wrong, as I had very few symptoms, but I didn't demand to come in to see if everything was OK. I regret it, even if it likely would not have changed the outcome. So, as for me I'm taking that as my life lesson to trust my gut and address what concerns me. Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback @RiverSong15@dpjennifer@BornReady, I figured I was just over-thinking things. I think I am going to just wait out this cycle before I go to the doctor.

@BornReady I know what you mean about the intuition thing. For some reason at my 8 week appointment I asked my doc about a blighted ovum and missed miscarriage even though I had no signs or reason for worrying about it. It turned out 2 weeks later I started spotting, had my first ultrasound and that is exactly what happened.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    I agree with PP. My cycle was significantly different after each of my losses. I currently have, like you, extremely painful cramping usually the first day, recently into the 2nd or 3rd. Aside from the pain if it is unbearable, there isn't much to be worried about as far as variances in your cycle. My LP, AF length, symptoms, etc have all changed with each loss.
    Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Options
    NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited February 2016
    Like the PPs have said you can't really expect anything after a MC. You just really have no idea what all will change, and how, and what all won't change.

Though my experience has no bearing on your own I know that my body still doesn't seem to have sorted everything out.

In all honesty, I only charted 3 months before my MC. I started charting in August and had a 49 day cycle where it appears that I ovulated CD35 and had a 13 luteal phase. It's a little hard to tell though because I didn't start temping till CD34 (it's when my BBT finally arrived from Amazon) and I caught a really bad cold and started running a fever about CD36. So my entire LP was just strange with temps and such. My next cycle I ovulated on CD15 and got my BFP so I don't know what my LP would have been.

Post-MC I've definitely had significantly worse PMS. Like how I now get heartburn every LP and before my pregnancy and loss I had literally had heartburn maybe 5 times in my entire life. So that's fun. Or like how I get a lot more cramping during my LP now and way worse cramps with my period.

Post-MC I've ovulated on CD17, 20, 19 with LP length 16, 15, 13 respectively. So, not exactly normal.

All that being said only you know what is normal for you and what exactly is going on with you. If you feel like something is wrong then it's probably worth it to take the referral and have everything checked out. If you get it checked out and the GYN tells you that everything is fine then at least you'll have peace of mind. And if something is wrong you'll be glad you went and had everything checked.

Edit: Corrected a couple of errors.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    catiecatpcatiecatp member
    edited February 2016
    @m6agua - that is a great idea - I'm going to see if I can find the publisher and a contact name for the franchise

Edit - that wasn't hard - I just emailed headquarters - info@everydayhealthinc.com - following a link on the "what to expect" contact us page - https://corporate.everydayhealth.com/contact-us/default.aspx
    ---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Me: 33 & DH: 33
    Married: 07/2006
    TTC: 10/2015
    BFP #1: 11/2015, MC 12/2015 (7 weeks)
    BFP #2: 06/2016, EDD 2/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker