1st Trimester

Find a new doctor or stay

just scheduled first OB appointment. The earliest she will see people is 9 weeks. She's booked out until March 22 which would put me at 12 weeks. Is that really late? Should I look for dr. Who can see me earlier? 

Re: Find a new doctor or stay

• I didn't see my OB for the first appointment till I was about 15 weeks due to some insurance problems. It was no big deal. In fact, some doctors I had called around to wouldn't even see me till I was 12 weeks, so I'd say it you're comfortable waiting that long it's nothing to worry about.
  • Glow360 said:
    just scheduled first OB appointment. The earliest she will see people is 9 weeks. She's booked out until March 22 which would put me at 12 weeks. Is that really late? Should I look for dr. Who can see me earlier? 
    I would base this more on whether or not you like and trust this doctor. It is common for some doctors to not see you until you hit 12 weeks. Just make sure to take your prenatal vitamins.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Most places won't see you until 10-12 weeks. There's not much for them to do before then anyway.  
  • Although I can understand why you'd want to be seen before 12 weeks, it's not uncommon at all. If you really like your OB, I'd stay. 
  • Thanks, that makes me feel better. I'm going to wait. I am so excited for first appointment! 
  • This may be an UO, but my doctor got me right in at 6 weeks. And has had room in her schedule for all of my other appts, and also for emergency appts. If I would have had to wait that long I probably would have switched. I like a smaller more intimate office though, not someone who is over booked. 
  • sounds right to me. i actually didn't start seeing my OB until my last appointment (34 weeks). for the whole pregnancy, I've been seeing my GP, & i didnt get my first appointment/US with him until 12 weeks. 
  • My first appointment with an OB with an U/S is tomorrow and ill be 10w6d. I had a consult at 8 weeks with the nurse to go over family health and pregnancy do's and don'ts.

Me:24 ~~~~~ DH:26

High school Sweethearts 03/29/07

Engaged 11/29/2009

Married 09/04/2012

TTC#1-06/01/2015

BFP 12/27/2015 EDD 9/8/2016

It's a BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you are not high risk the office I work at won't even try to schedule you before 9 weeks. I'd say most start coming in at 10-12 weeks unless they have an issue. 
    Nothing to measure or hear before then other than blood pressure and to look for protein in the urine
  • If you have a relationship with this doc, I would stay. The first appointment is usually just a checkup anyway, they schedule you back for blood work and ultrasound. I had to switch obgyn on Jan 1st right when I found out I was preggo. New office, new doc, they didn't know any history. ANNOYING!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wasn't seen until 12 weeks either. I had a quick consult with a nurse around 9 weeks to answer questions get blood drawn but it probably could have waited. 
  • Glow360 said:
    I wouldn't search for a new provider based on this issue alone. Its perfectly normal.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers