September 2015 Moms
Options

Yeast Diaper Rash - help!

so... What a wicked little thing these rashes are! Seems so hard to get rid of! Treated it with Nystatin (I think that's what it's called) but it came back out of nowhere with a vengeance overnight - nurse mentioned it may be the result of a allergy to something I'm eating (we knew she had horrific allergies to several things in my diet, I eliminated wheat/soy/dairy/eggs/nuts) but clearly something else is an allergen for her that I ate. Has this happened to anyone else!? What do you do to help treat it besides the cream or is that the only way to get rid of it!? It looks HORRIBLE. 

Re: Yeast Diaper Rash - help!

• Options
    Do you have any breastmilk around? Or coconut oil? Or both? 

Both are miracle cures. 
  • Options
    Keep the diaper off as much as possible while this is happening.  Don't use soap, only warm water and pat dry.  The Nystatin typically helps, or another hydrocortisone cream.  Don't use powder!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pharmacist friend told me not to use powder bc it can cause yeast infections 
  • Options
    When my older daughter gets these I don't use baby wipes, just make up a plastic bag of wet paper towels every day that I fold and have available. Use them for every diaper change. Totally dry the skin. Then peds told me to use lotrimen. Regular over the counter. It's weird to me to use a foot cream on her butt but it works every time. DD2 hasn't gotten one yet. 
  • Options
    My dr gave us two ointments we rubbed together when my son had a yeast diaper rash - one was yellow (nystatin), the other clear, but I don't remember what it was. Rash cleared very quickly!!! You might ask your doctor if you end up going back. Also, my dr had me apply it twice daily for two solid weeks, as she said they can be tricky to get rid of. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son is prone to these unfortunately but it happens so sporadically that I don't think it's an allergin. I will say I've noticed when it's time to size up diapers he gets them. Check your diaper sizes, make sure they're not getting too small for Lo
  • Options
    I know this sounds crazy... At least I thought it sounded crazy coming from my doctor but it worked like a charm... She said that what works better than any cream she could prescribe me is some
    apple cider vinegar and water. And she was right. Within a day or so it was gone. 
  • Options
    It took a week to clear up on my son. I kept wondering when the medicine would work then BAM rash was gone. 
    How long have you been using the nystatin cream?
  • Options
    For about a week! It look like it had totally cleared up and I continued using the cream since my pediatrician told me to and then overnight it came back with such a vengeance it had exploded all over her bottom in vaginal area. I might try the apple cider vinegar!

Another question, can her yeast rash spread to other parts of her body? She woke up this morning with a horrible rash on her face cheeks and forehead area and almost kind of looks like the yeast diaper rash!?! 
  • Options
    @laurapaine2003@yahoo.com yes it can!  This happened to my daughter as well but the nystatin cleared it up in about 10 days.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Curious to knew what finally worked for you. Did the apple cider vinegar? 
  • Options
    Get this: we went to a pediatric allergist and while there I asked him to look at her diaper rash because her yeast cream hadn't been helping - he immediately said "that's not a yeast diaper rash, the other Doctor was mistaken. Just treat that with zinc oxide cream" - and guess what, that cleared it up within 24 hours. So this whole time I had been treating it with prescription yeast cream per my pediatricians orders and it wasn't a damn yeast rash!!!!! What the heck!!!