October 2016 Moms

PIO injections- how to make the knots go away?!

Has anyone found anything that helps get rid of knots after a PIO injection? I'm doing all the suggested things to prevent them but after a few weeks of injections in the same spots, it's occurring more frequently and seems unavoidable. Thanks in advance!

Re: PIO injections- how to make the knots go away?!

• Im on progesterone suppositories, but the ladies in my surrogacy support groups I frequent swear by ice before the shot, then heat and massage to "spread" the medication around so it doesn't bundle in one spot. 

PIO shots are the pits, best of luck. When do you get to go off them? 10 weeks?
  • The upper outer quadrant in each cheek is fairly big and goes out to the side.   Check with your nurse for any places you can try.   We showed my nurse my welts and bruises and told us to keep alternating and to move out more to the sides.   They can also switch you out to the suppositories for a few days to give your back side a rest.  I have five and a half more weeks of PIO to go.   Good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @EJChapman123 - yep! So 4.5 weeks and counting lol

@Piperella - I'll ask about the suppositories when I go on Monday. I'm already on the gel though so not sure if they'd let me. We'll see
  • When I was on them for my surrogacy I found using a longer needle helped and alternating the site.
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2016
    mtgreen21 said:
    When I was on them for my surrogacy I found using a longer needle helped and alternating the site.
    Longer than 1.5"? We're alternating between 4 sites but the knots are lasting so long we're running out of space
  • I am doing the pio 2 times a day(which most seem to just do it 1), so it is just turning into a big bruises with lots of red lumps. They have started to itch lately and it's driving me crazy!! I just recently got my bfp, so my RE hasn't said how much longer for the shots. 

My RE said no ice beforehand bc it will numb the spot, BUT it will cool the pio too much going in and make it thicker (read as: hurt more) . I just use heat, massage, then go up and down the stairs a few times to work the muscle. 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am doing the pio 2 times a day(which most seem to just do it 1), so it is just turning into a big bruises with lots of red lumps. They have started to itch lately and it's driving me crazy!! I just recently got my bfp, so my RE hasn't said how much longer for the shots. 

My RE said no ice beforehand bc it will numb the spot, BUT it will cool the pio too much going in and make it thicker (read as: hurt more) . I just use heat, massage, then go up and down the stairs a few times to work the muscle. 
    Oh man! I feel for you having to do that twice per day! Hopefully they let you stop before they're letting me. I'm on injections until my 11th week.
    If you're seeing red, itchy lumps, it's a good sign that the PIO is leaking into the subcutaneous space (it happened to me once and that's what the RN said). My RN suggested trying the Z Track method to stop that from happening
  • Yes while it did hurt more I would use a 2inch needle, but I would also put an icepack on my backside before we would do the injections. I also rotated each side-I would do injections on right side for 2 days then switch to left side for 2 days and so on.

• I alternate sides. I also use a thick needle like the mixing needle. I make sure the pointy side of the needle is up, I pull out the syringe quickly, put gauze and rub the spot pretty hard. I put a hot wash cloth on the spot (and I still rub with the hot wash cloth) and walk around my house. 
  • They told me I can switch to the suppositories today. I'm glad! I'm sick of 2 injections a day. I tried Ztrack and it is about the same. I honestly think it's just because they are so often! The nurse said my skin is just getting irritated from the shots. 

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker