November 2015 Moms
Options

Baby has diarrhea

Hello ladies...I'm just looking for advice on what to do for baby diarrhea!

I've put a call in to my LO's pedi at 9am but have yet to hear back, obvi I know that this isn't a medical site but hoping to get insight/advuce/tips from other Mom's who have dealt with this. 

Anyway LO is 15 weeks old and is EBF, he generally poops every 4 to 5 days but as of last Thursday he has pooped multiple times a day and the consistency is watery and the color is more green than usual.  Sorry if this is TMl but it's almost like he has liquid farts! 

He is still eating and has had good wet diapers so I'm only slightly concerned with dehydration.  He has been sleeping longer during the day but his night time routine hasn't changed.  He is still full of smiles and wants to play. He feels a bit warm but doesn't have a fever.

Again I know this isn't a site for medical advice just looking to see if other Mom's have been there as I wait for my pedi to call back...which I hope is soon!

Re: Baby has diarrhea

• Options
    MargaretC5MargaretC5 member
    edited February 2016
    When DS had diarrhea he pooped several time an hour.  For babies diarrhea increases the frequency of poops.  Liquid poops can be normal for babies and pooping several times a day can also be normal.
    Green poops in BF babies means the baby is getting more of the foremilk and is nothing to worry about if it happens once in a while, but if it becomes consistent you can look into block feeding to make sure baby is getting enough of the rich hindmilk.
    Everything your baby is doing sounds normal,  but since it is a change from your baby's regular habits a call to the pedi cannot hurt.
    If he becomes very fussy, gets a fever, and/or has fewer wet diapers I could be concerned.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking in terms of everything but it's nice to hear from someone who has been through it.  Yesterday he pooped really watery poops twice in a span of about 45min and then twice more before the day was over.  So far today we've only had little poop-farts nothing huge.  The pedi literally called right after I posted and he basically said to let it all runthe course but if he gets a fever or starts acting really unlike himself to call back! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine also poops super watery and because of it it is kind of spread along the day. Like two big in the morning, then 2 small during the afternoon and one or two bigs in the evening again.... Did not shock me too much though, you read everywhere how weird poops are. I got green, bright yellow and recently a beautiful dark chestnut color!
  • Options
    This sounds like my DD's normal day! Glad to hear your pediatrician is not concerned with the change. I hope for your sake your LO goes back to only pooping every few days!
  • Options
    Ours went from pooping multiple times per day to once every three days (I thought he was constipated ) and now is pooping multiple times a day often twice in the first two hours after wakes up. My pedi said it was normal.