November 2015 Moms

Going camping with baby

I'm starting to plan ahead for a family trip in June...my niece is turning 16 and is having a big party near my parents house in Upstate NY (near Cooperstown), we are about 3.5 hrs away so going up just for the party isn't really an option and neither is staying at my parents house (they downsized once we all moved out and it's just a bit too small for us to stay there with the baby)...my DH and I are thinking about camping for the weekend (it would be a lot cheaper than a hotel) but as first time parents we aren't really sure about the logistics with a baby.  LO will be 7 months old when we head up there.

Have any STM's done this before? Or anyone gone camping with your LO yet? Does this sound like a good idea or should we just budget better and get a hotel? Any tips/advice/suggestions on what we should bring or do to make this work smoothly as well as any cautionary tales would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Going camping with baby

• If you guys camp already then I wouldn't see why not.  Bring a pack n play.  Maybe you can use your parents house to take showers though
  • We will also be camping a lot with the baby this summer. I found lots of tips on Pinterest.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm planning on camping with LO and DD1 in mid March.  I'm a bit nervous about it, but as long as I pack everything I should need we'll be fine. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I agree with the PP if you camped before baby why not, but if you are not already campers I would not try it for the first time with a baby.
    If it was me (I have camped, but not really a fan), I would sign up for the Groupon that is close to your family and see if you can get a deal on a hotel.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with the PP if you camped before baby why not, but if you are not already campers I would not try it for the first time with a baby.
    If it was me (I have camped, but not really a fan), I would sign up for the Groupon that is close to your family and see if you can get a deal on a hotel.
    Good call on the Groupon, I hadn't even thought of that! We've both been camping and like it so maybe we will give it a go but like PP have said use my parents house for showers!
  • I remember being worried about doing anything with a new LO.  It can be a bit intimidating!  If camping is something your family enjoys, you'll do fine.  Get everything you think you might need plus a few more things.  :)  Hope you guys have fun!  Enjoy your LO!
  • I'd check out the campgrounds in the area to find out what's available . I've never been with a baby (DH really wants to go this summer though) but camped a lot as a kid and adult. Some camp grounds have a lot more amenities than others. A really rustic place you have to hike to would be much harder to camp at than a campground with water and electric hookups at each site and nice bathrooms. You might even be able to find one with cheap cabins to rent that might be easier with the baby. Since you have family nearby it's actually a good way to test out camping since if there's a sudden storm or you need to cool off you could run to their place if you really had to.
  • The only thing I would be worried about is not having any running water (germaphobe here). If you bring tons of hand sanitizer for when you change diapers, I don't see why you shouldn't go camping with LO. Sounds like it'll be fun!
  • Have you ever tried Name Your Own Price on Priceline for hotels? You get to enter what you want to pay and it will try and find a hotel for you at that rate. We have used it a lot and it's been pretty great. 
  • We camp multiple times a year and have been debating on whether or not to go this year. We usually go with a group and in the white mountains(bear country) so I get nervous with the baby potentially waking up all throughout the night but DH is really set on going: luckily our favorite spot does have running water. Solid idea on the Priceline and Groupon, that does make me feel a bit better. We're planning on upgrading our tent to one of the large super sized multi room tents as before our sizable one was just enough for my DH, myself and our German Shepherd  and her Crate.
  • We're leaving tomorrow on our first camping trip.  We'll be tent camping with bathrooms, showers, grills, and electrical hookups on the grounds.  The temperatures should be in the 60's and 70's during the days and into the 40's at night.  I'm packing pretty much everything that will fit in my vehicle. 

While we're in the mountains (about 8hrs away from home) we will tour gold mines, pan for gold and gems, visit waterfalls, and my 10yr old birthday girl will go on a zipline across a mountain.  I think I may be completely insane to attempt any of this.  Wish me luck.  If you don't hear back from me, we were all probably eaten by bears. 
    Have a great time! It all sounds amazing...if you get a chance when you get home could you just let me know how it went? What worked/didn't work for your LO? Thanks in advance!
  • rachswirachswi member
    edited March 2016
    @VexedMommy not gonna lie. Scariest part of that for me would be the 8 hour trip (in the car I assume?!). My LO hates his car seat of he has to be in it for long periods of time. 

Good luck! Have fun!
  • have a great trip! I can't wait to go camping with the LO, 10 yr old SD, and DH this year! 
  • We survived!  The trip went great even though it got into the 30's on the last night of the trip.  I'll post what worked/didn't work and pictures tomorrow.  
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• We survived!  The trip went great even though it got into the 30's on the last night of the trip.  I'll post what worked/didn't work and pictures tomorrow.    To
    Awesome! Glad it went well, can't wait to hear all about it
  • We are going camping in our camper in April. The only thing I'm concerned with is where LO will sleep. We don't co-sleep and he sleeps in his crib. The PNP is too big I think to put in there. Our camper has bunk beds but that makes me soo nervous about putting him in there and I don't think there are any rails at the stores that would work. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, what about bug sprays? We will be hiking quite a bit and I'll be wearing him but mosquito's and ticks worry me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• megan1010 said:
    We are going camping in our camper in April. The only thing I'm concerned with is where LO will sleep. We don't co-sleep and he sleeps in his crib. The PNP is too big I think to put in there. Our camper has bunk beds but that makes me soo nervous about putting him in there and I don't think there are any rails at the stores that would work. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, what about bug sprays? We will be hiking quite a bit and I'll be wearing him but mosquito's and ticks worry me. 
    Im not a camper but I would recommend Avon skin so soft bug guard. It is deed free and smells good. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005599QTW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?qid=1459167206&sr=8-3&keywords=avon+skin+so+soft+bug+guard&pi=SY200_QL40
  • Thank you!! I'll order some!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• megan1010 said:
    Thank you!! I'll order some!!
    Don't use deet products. Honestly I'd check with my pedi or do some research before using any bug spray. I get a break-out rash from using avon's skin so soft, so I wouldn't put it on DD. 
  • megan1010 said:
    Thank you!! I'll order some!!
    Don't use deet products. Honestly I'd check with my pedi or do some research before using any bug spray. I get a break-out rash from using avon's skin so soft, so I wouldn't put it on DD. 
    anytime you want to use a new product on LO you should try a test stop to make sure they don't have a reaction. I bought some baby sunscreen the other day and put a small amount on LO's arm and leg waited 15 mins and checked back to make sure there was no rash.

there are other brands out there like California Baby that make all natural buy spray. With my first we also tried the repeling bracelets. It couldn't touch their skin so she would wear socks and put the bracelet around her ankle. They didn't seem to really work all that well though. 
  • I've been slack about getting pictures off my camera so I've put off posting what worked for me, but here it goes. 

What Worked -
    1) Baby Wearing and back wrapping especially (1yr is the suggested timeline for putting baby on your back in an SSC.)  I was able to hike to the highest point in GA and to hike to the middle of some gorgeous waterfalls where I needed my hands to hold onto branches and rocks while climbing.  If I wasn't wearing her, everything from touring gold mines/panning for gold, to hiking, to making dinner around the camp fire would have been nearly impossible. 
    2) FP Sit Me Up - It was great for us because the car was packed to the brim and it is collapsible.  Basically though any place for baby to sit is necessary so you can start the fire or do any of a number of things that you can't wear baby while doing (like giving yourself a rest!) 
    3) Keeping bottles of water in the sleeping bag with me (so they didn't get super cold since she now refuses cold bottles and the temps dropped into the 40's and 30's at night.)  I formula feed now and so bottles of water were necessary to make her food.  If you breastfeed, you'll have a MUCH easier time. 
    4) Keeping her supplies organized.  Trying to find diapers in the middle of the night in 40 degree weather when your baby is screaming is not fun. 
    5) Figuring out whether baby runs hot or cold.  My little one runs hot.  For bed the first night, I had her in a hat that covered her ears, socks over her hands and on her feet, a fleece footed pajama, and a long sleeve fleece sleep sack over that.  I then brought her into the sleeping bag with me when I went to bed.  She woke up screaming in the middle of the night soaked in sweat which is quite dangerous in 40 degree weather.  The next night I left off the sleep sack and she was still sweating after coming into the sleeping bag with me.  Finally I ditched the socks over her hands and the hat when I brought her into the bag with me and that worked.
    6) Skeeter Scat - It's an all natural bug spray that a family friend makes and sells.  It uses essential oils and works incredibly well.  It's also worked well for us in hot muggy 80 degree weather (over Christmas!) in coastal GA which is buzzing with gnats and mosquitos. 

What DIDN'T work
    1) Overbundling
    2) Pack N Play - This is probably more a function of the fact that Bridget doesn't even sleep well in it at home than it is against a PnP in general.  It would work beautifully for a child who does not regularly co-sleep.  It would work especially well for a crawler or a walker as a place to move but be safely contained. 
    3) Over scheduling - Bridget did really well but every time she would nap, whether on me or in her car seat, we would be off to the next activity and need to move her.  Next time I will definitely schedule more down time so she can sleep better.  Especially considering her extreme case of FOMO combined with the 4mo sleep regression.

The kids and I had a great time.  It was a lot of fun.  We made a lot of memories and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I'm even considering doing primitive camping next time!  If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.