January 2016 Moms
Options

Travel advice after csection...?

I have a close friends wedding about 3 weeks after my second baby's scheduled csection. What are your thoughts on traveling either driving (12 hours) or flying (2hours) 3 weeks postpartum? I had a tough recovery with my first csection, but don't remember the timing of recovery. Thanks! :)

Re: Travel advice after csection...?

• Options
    I had csections and had to travel 8 hours 12 days PP. It was my husbands only siblings wedding and he was the Bestman and my oldest son was the ring bearer. I'm not going to lie it was the worst! I had to stop every 2 hours to get out to walk for 10 minutes and obviously stop to feed the baby whenever needed. It ended up taking 10 hours. There were other things that made it horrible but that was because my husband was in the wedding leaving me alone and I ended up with an infection. But I managed so I'm sure you'll do fine. I will recommend that you baby wear so no one tries to take the baby. 
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    I had a c section with my first and went to a wedding 2 hours away 2 weeks after.  It wasn't a problem at all, but I can't imagine trying to go 12 hours in a car that soon! Maybe go for the plane.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a great recovery so to me it wouldn't have been a big deal. But everyone is different. Wait it out and see how you are feeling. 
  • Options
    I would imaging that flying would be easier, just because it's such a shorter time... But on the flip side, I am a bit of a germ freak, and airplanes cycle around dirty germy air, so I personally would be hesitant to bring a tiny baby on a plane.
  • Options
    I had a better recovery with my second. They had me stand up the night of and I pushed myself to walk the halls more. At home I had to do more because I have another child so maybe that helped. I was shocked how well I was feeling even 2 weeks Pp. Use your binder and maybe get a better one for support while driving/flying. I used ice packs on my incision a lot between it and my binder. And save some pain meds just in case. I second flying over driving for sure, and wear baby as much as possible.