March 2016 Moms
Options

Baby Monitors

I'm a first time mom and am totally confused as to what baby monitor is the best. Please help!

Re: Baby Monitors

• Options
    FTM here too. I just went with a sound monitor. I didn't see the need for a camera model. I would suggest trying them out at the store and make sure you get one that doesn't have a lot of static or background noise.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love our foscam especially now that ds1 is older and in a toddler bed. It's nice to be able to check in on noises and know when you truly need to go in or not. We access ours on our phones, iPads and computers. It's also been nice to be able to check on him at bedtime when we aren't home and we recently set it up in our living room when we went on vacation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    We just got a basic video one, the video is way more useful than just the sound. If baby is crying u can make sure it's not urgent(got sick or stuck in a weird position, etc). If I just want to know if they are crying or not I'll listen from outside their door. Video helps a lot when trying to get them to calm themselves. I found one Black Friday at toys r us for $60.
  • Options
    Definitely agree with the Foscam.  I love that you can hook it up to your smart phone and check on baby without them aware - sometimes they cry and there is nothing wrong.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    skruhmin said:

Definitely agree with the Foscam.  I love that you can hook it up to your smart phone and check on baby without them aware - sometimes they cry and there is nothing wrong.

that sounds like an awesome one!! i really want one with a camera as well. i think it'll help put my FTM nerves at ease a bit being able to see him.

anyways! is the Foscam expensive..?
  • Options
    kyraaD said:
    that sounds like an awesome one!! i really want one with a camera as well. i think it'll help put my FTM nerves at ease a bit being able to see him. anyways! is the Foscam expensive..?
    Way cheaper than the camera baby monitors out there.  And you can expand your network. 
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZP8UOW?colid=1GODG73WNRKOV&coliid=I1QBQ64IE454RZ&redirect=true&ref_=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl&vs=1

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    @skruhmin awesome, thank you!
  • Options
    We got one with two way audio because my husband is only taking two weeks off of work and can talk to her from his phone while at work. We also got a small mobile camera for the read facing car seat. It looks like a monkey and you can wrap its arms around things to secure it!
  • Options
    If you don't want to spend a lot the sound one would def work but I can't imagine living without a video monitor! I loved being able to see DS1 (even if it was just making sure he was still breathing..LOL) and they are so much cheaper now. We used it until he was around 2 when he moved to a twin bed so I def felt like we got our moneys worth. The extra money is def worth the peace of mind to me. I had a summer video for DS1 and will probably be getting another summer video monitor for this baby since I dropped the monitor on the first one and broke the video function when DS1 was around 2. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. It definitely was very helpful (:
  • Options
    We have a Samsung baby monitor that can connect to more than one camera and view on the same main console. It is very durable (we dropped it many times) but it is on the pricey side.  I love it and I used to watch her sleep when she was little.  It can be distracting and there were nights where I should be sleeping but I was busy watching her sleep.  We got it as a baby shower gift from my brother and SIL.  

I also have a voice only monitor from Motorola as a hand-me-down that works very well too, especially when we are traveling. 
  • Options

If you don't want to spend a lot the sound one would def work but I can't imagine living without a video monitor! I loved being able to see DS1 (even if it was just making sure he was still breathing..LOL) and they are so much cheaper now. We used it until he was around 2 when he moved to a twin bed so I def felt like we got our moneys worth. The extra money is def worth the peace of mind to me. I had a summer video for DS1 and will probably be getting another summer video monitor for this baby since I dropped the monitor on the first one and broke the video function when DS1 was around 2. 

Agree agree agree.
  • Options
    We have the same kind as irenewslee.  I started out with a sound only monitor, but it would be completely silent and then a loud POP whenever he would make a grunt or other sound in his crib.  Made my sleeping horrible to go from silence to a sudden POP every ten seconds when it would pick up sounds from him.  I was so glad when we got the video monitor - I can turn the sound up or down and lay it face down on my night stand.  It allowed me to finally get some rest but still be able to hear him if he started to fuss.  Later on it came in handy because if he started to cry, we could see if he was still lying down or sitting up without going into his room.  We live in a two story house, and our master is downstairs with the nursery upstairs.
  • Options
    We have a Summer Infant video monitor (it's like 6 years old, or I'd send a link). We love it. The newer models have two way communication so that when LO is older you can tell them to get back in bed. Best invention ever. We have little to no wifi, so the smart phone options are out for us. I think our monitor set us back $149 about 6 years ago, but it's still going strong and we'll be using it for #2.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Can I offer a bit of negativity on Summer?  We had a string of bad monitors - like 3 of them - so we gave up on them and went with Foscam.  Glad to see others have had success though.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    skruhmin said:

Can I offer a bit of negativity on Summer?  We had a string of bad monitors - like 3 of them - so we gave up on them and went with Foscam.  Glad to see others have had success though.

I was just about to post this! The reason we got our foscam was because of issues with the summer infant we had first.

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    I had a summer and the battery was recalled due to over heating/fire potential so I freaked out and removed it. Then we always had to have it plugged in, which was annoying. Then the plug got all loose so it wouldn't stay plugged. We tried to get a new battery from the company but since ours was a year past manufacturing date, they wouldn't. (It was probably already nearly that old when dd1 was even born between shelf life and getting it as a shower gift before she was here). This same monitor is for sale on our local Craigslist, most families probably have no idea of the re call.
  • Options
    @skruhmin should I get more than one or can you move it with your ipad/iPhone? I have only ever had cheap $20 only sound ones. I would love to see babe
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hunh, had no idea so many people had issues with theirs. Maybe we got the *one* good one!

We had issues with the standard monitor that everyone uses. I can't remember what it's called. It it's super simple and low tech. It never worked for us and I almost threw it through a wall. I guess it just depends with these things.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    skruhminskruhmin member
    edited January 2016

@skruhmin should I get more than one or can you move it with your ipad/iPhone? I have only ever had cheap $20 only sound ones. I would love to see babe

You can move it with your phone/ipad. The apps are great. You only need one per room.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    We are sticking with just a sound monitor. I have heard the video monitors are easy to hack and that freaked me out...
  • Options
    I got a Motorola video monitor from my mom as a baby gift.  My sister had the same one so we know it's a solid investment.  It has video and two way audio so I can talk through it without going into the room.  We opted out of the wi-fi option because I've read they are possible for people to hack into because of the connection and I couldn't handle that! 
  • Options
    I live in a very small house in England... 2 rooms downstairs and just the bedrooms with a toilet upstairs... you can hear everything so I am not getting one.  I don't like the video monitors bc of the ability to hack into them

LFAF- Best Olympic Moments...  Jackie Joyner-Kersee

• Options

FTM here too. I just went with a sound monitor. I didn't see the need for a camera model. I would suggest trying them out at the store and make sure you get one that doesn't have a lot of static or background noise.

In our small space video monitors didn't make sense but if you lived in a 2-level I'd almost consider it a necessity. I wouldn't want to be running up and down stairs for non-emergencies.

Having said that when LO wakes up he chats up a storm at almost 2, we wish we had a video monitor for a day so we could see if he's chatting up his stuffed bunny.
  • Options
    My MIL gifted us a Graco monitor. It's pretty basic, but it does the job. I used it in the beginning, but quickly stopped using it. I could hear DD just fine without it and for some reason, having it turned on stressed me out because I would hear every little noise and not just her cries when she woke up. I didn't bother with a monitor at all for DS and don't plan to use one for this baby either.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We use a sound monitor for DD, but I wish we had a video monitor now. I was ok with a sound monitor when she was an infant, but had to take her out of her crib around 4 months because she was banging her head so much (only in the crib). The bed works well but she can get in and out and it would be nice to see that she isn't tearing her room apart. She is a light sleeper and we can't open the door to check on her without waking her.

I'm not buying much for LO so I might splurge on a video monitor :). If I buy one I would love to have 2 cameras so I can use it for both kids if possible!

• Options
    ehowa499 said:
    We use a sound monitor for DD, but I wish we had a video monitor now. I was ok with a sound monitor when she was an infant, but had to take her out of her crib around 4 months because she was banging her head so much (only in the crib). The bed works well but she can get in and out and it would be nice to see that she isn't tearing her room apart. She is a light sleeper and we can't open the door to check on her without waking her. I'm not buying much for LO so I might splurge on a video monitor :). If I buy one I would love to have 2 cameras so I can use it for both kids if possible!
    This is why I love the foscam - I believe on their app you can add up to 5 cameras.  And when DS1 was first in a bed, that's when I loved the camera that much more.

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    I'm another one who had great experience with summer infant camera we got 3 years ago. Still going strong and we plan to expand it to add a camera for the second kid. We just last week replaced the battery in it. It would still hold charge but not well. 22 bucks on amazon. Works like new
    imageimage

• Options
    We have a Motorola video monitor with two way communication and some other cool features. Might be a little excessive for our apartment but when we get a house I'll be glad to have it! My friend has the same one and she loves it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MBP36S-Wireless-Monitor-3-5-Inch/dp/B00M2F0OYS

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    After some failed attempts with cheap baby monitoring hardware, I went for an app. Easier and way cheaper :smile: 
    I use the baby monitoring app by Annie and it's been working like a charm! Just set up an old phone so you can see your baby/babies and connect your and your SO's phones and you can check wherever you are, as long as internet is working! :smile: 

It is available on both Android and Apple devices:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.master.anniehttps://itunes.apple.com/app/id944269894
  • Options
    The people who bought Foscam... Is it wall mountable?