May 2016 Moms

Anyone Experiencing PVCs?

I have been for a while. I have been describing it as feeling an adrenaline rush even when I'm sedentary. I spoke to my doctor about it during the last check up and he said it's just due to pg. Last night I was having the episodes back to back. I work in a 911 center so I just had one of the medics swing by and he said I was having PVCs. He said they can be due to pg of course as well as harmless BUT I need to get it checked out anyways. Going to the doctor today at 430.

My question is: Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone go to the doctor and they said you're fine and it's just another lovely pg symptom??
Been married since 2009.
Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
Several MCs
DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

Re: Anyone Experiencing PVCs?

• I've had them too...but I get the "flip flop" sensation. Doc said nothing to worry about...joy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • What is a PVC? Normally id Google it but my phone sucks. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Loading the player...
  • JessicaB0627JessicaB0627 member
    edited February 2016
    What is a PVC? Normally id Google it but my phone sucks. 
    Premature ventricular contractions 

ETA: Hugs @doozer1345! I hope you get to feeling better soon! 
  • I have palpitations, but no one has done a ecg on me during said brief episodes. I've had them each pregnancy and as I stopped breast feeding and hormones fluctuate. It's definitely calmed down some now. It's scary though!
  • I would get checked, but its also a matter of how often your having them per minute. Its natural for a non-pregnant person to have them if its not that many. Also your potassium and/or magnesium may be low thats causing them. So a chemistry panel could answer or eliminate a cause. I dont know enough on how hormones affect the heart in pregnancy but i work as a cardiac nurse for almost 12 yrs.  Some people are more sensitive to the sensation than others are, but frequent PVC's might be a problem that needs addressed with correction of magnesium and potassium or warrent wearing a holter monitor to determine how many, what activity causes it, and if medicine is needed or if its hormonal.
  • edited February 2016
    I am a cardiac/ tele nurse and PVCS are very common and very harmless unless they are happening like after every beat or every few beats.  It is very common to happen during pregnancy because of the extra strain on the heart that pregnancy creates.  If they begin to impact your life greatly post pregnancy I would check with a cardiologist, who if he/she feels right could do an ablalation.  It also could been an electrolyte issue caused by the heart's two main lytes, Mg and K, a simple blood test could tell your values and you can take supplements if needed. HTH
  • I get those especially a night.  Not painful, just uncomfortable. I try taking some deep breaths to center myself and they go away 
  • I would get checked, but its also a matter of how often your having them per minute. Its natural for a non-pregnant person to have them if its not that many. Also your potassium and/or magnesium may be low thats causing them. So a chemistry panel could answer or eliminate a cause. I dont know enough on how hormones affect the heart in pregnancy but i work as a cardiac nurse for almost 12 yrs.  Some people are more sensitive to the sensation than others are, but frequent PVC's might be a problem that needs addressed with correction of magnesium and potassium or warrent wearing a holter monitor to determine how many, what activity causes it, and if medicine is needed or if its hormonal.
    My PCP is checking my potassium and electrolytes and I now have a holter (?) monitor on for the next 24 hours. Which btw is super uncomfortable and inconvenient (although necessary I know). I really am hoping it's just a potassium, iron, or electrolyte problem!!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Good thing you are getting it looked after...once they have 24 hours of the holter monitor they will know how often the PVCs are occurring...let me know if you have any other questions!
  • Good thing you are getting it looked after...once they have 24 hours of the holter monitor they will know how often the PVCs are occurring...let me know if you have any other questions!
    Thank you!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• I hope so too or hormones! But if the electrolytes are easy to replace too! And might not be often enough to be concerned. But least there is the holter monitor recording and see if anything is dangerous enough to need treatment.
  • I hope so too or hormones! But if the electrolytes are easy to replace too! And might not be often enough to be concerned. But least there is the holter monitor recording and see if anything is dangerous enough to need treatment.
    I'm just concerned for LO. After an episode she gives a huge kick or punch so I wonder if she's either in distress or feeling an adrenaline rush as well. Either way I think of what kind of effect this is having on her. This may sound stupid and I may be too tired to think clearly... If it is electrolytes is it just a matter of drinking Gatorade (lol) or supplements?
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• If its electrolytes it prob would be supplements. Course i would hope they wouls have called you by now if anything was seriously low if they already took your blood work. Low normal of potassium is 3.5 and magnesium is 1.8. I would figure as long as they arent every other beat your little one is probably fine, but i dont have experience with maternal/ baby care. But we even have non pregnant people that tolerate that many pvc's for it to be every other beat. Baby might have been kicking saying hey mom im really ok :) or least thats what i think when mine kicks me after i worry about something.