March 2016 Moms

Early Induction

Any other moms having to induce early or have had to induce early in a past pregnancy? I am currently 35 weeks and the doctor is thinking I will need to be induced within the next 3 weeks if not sooner! I have hypertension and protein in my urine and she has stopped gaining weight...

Just looking for any advice from other moms who have been through this or is currently going through this. My main concern is that she won't ready-as far as her development goes and especially her lungs.

They did give me a round of steroid shots for her lungs, but it does not make it any less frightening... She is only 4lbs 11oz.

I posted this in the high risk board, but it seems every time I post there I do not receive a reply for several weeks.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Early Induction

• So sorry you are going through that, I can see why it would be scary. I am being induced in two weeks but mine is for high blood pressure which has been steadily rising with each check up. I currently have to go to the pharmacy every day and check my blood pressure, if it goes above a certain number I am to head right to LD to be induced.

Hopefully the two of you are able to hold on a little bit longer, I am 37 weeks and have been told baby's lungs are fully developed as of last week. Did your doctor do an ultrasound to see if there might be any issues with inducing early? If not you may be able to request one, that's what I did to put my own mind at ease and luckily my doctor obliged.
  • I was just induced on Thursday for IUGR at 37/1. Ultrasounds showed her at just under 5 lbs she came out at 4 lbs 8 oz. Never had steroid shot. Dr thought we would be inducing at 38 weeks but on my 37 appointment they decided to send me to the hospital that day. 

I had a 30 hr labor then an urgent c section because her heart rate was in distress at each contraction when I started pushing. I wasn't prepared for the possible c section. It was never discussed. What made it worse was that I was put under and DH wasn't allowed in the room. But with all that said I always wanted what was best for her and that could be vaginal, c section, induction. Just plan on maybe things won't go as planned. 

Shes currently in the NICU for low blood sugar and feeding less than she should. That's it. Every other test has come back perfect she's just a peanut. I would much rather have her in the NICU getting excellent care than have her home and running into all the issues here. But that's the only problem with being 3 weeks early and so tiny - I call that a win. These kids are resilient- don't worry! 
  • Loading the player...
  • soxfan9968soxfan9968 member
    edited February 2016
    No experience here but quite a few moms have, I wouldn't post there but read the march birth announcements. It may give you some comfort to see the wonderful and perfection that all babies are. (Gah! I sound like a sap!) Remember baby needs you healthy too. I'd err on the side of caution and trust your doctor. If they've given you reason to mistrust, then get a second opinion but it sounds like your ob is very proactive. Pre-e can be very dangerous for you both.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • I had my csection last week at 36 weeks. They did give me steriod shots with this 1 but not other 2 because they came on their own. She was born 7 pounds 1 oz. I had my first baby at 36 weeks and my 2nd at 37 weeks. All were born without any major health issues. Usually by 37 weeks the lungs are fully developed. Preclamsia can be very dangerous for both of you. Also if your baby isnt growing is a big concern. Sometimes its safer for baby to be born early. Trust in your doctor. Don't trust in the weight of the ultrasound. They are almost always inaccurate. They Mine was weighing the baby at 6 pounds 8 oz and she was a bit larger. Good luck to you.
  • I was induced on Friday due to pre-eclampsia. It took a long time for labor to begin but once it did I was only in labor for about ten hours. My son was two weeks and four days early but he was healthy so I was happy. I'll be praying that your situation will be similar and you will be able to deliver without complications. 
  • Thank you so much! It really is hard not to worry, but you ladies do make me feel better :)@elledriver88 I go twice a week now and I receive an ultrasound at each visit. He has not said anything about there being any issues other than the fact that she may have to be on oxygen for a few days if her lungs are struggling, but I will specify tomorrow when I go in if he sees anything he is worried about. @Sweet_D that had to of been so scary! I cannot imagine. I am definitely going into everything with an open mind. Originally I wanted a non-medicated vaginal birth, but now that I am being induced I am more open to receiving medication and the possibility of a C-section. 
    It makes me happy that all of your babies are healthy pre-term :) 
    @soxfan9968 I hadn't even realized that there were already births! I am definitely going to check it out thanks :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm 37+3 and just had my weekly appointment yesterday. We had to schedule an induction for Feb. 28 when I'll be 39 weeks due to gestational hypertension. I've been dealing with high blood pressure stuff since about 34 weeks when I had to go to L&D to be evaluated for high BP. At the hospital, blood tests showed normal liver function and there wasn't protein in the urine sample that day. Then last week, my doctor had me do a 24 hr urine catch because there were trace amounts of protein at last week's visit. As of now, it still has not developed into pre-eclampsia, but I guess it's possible for it to turn into pre-e at anytime. 

I would think that your doctor will check some things via ultrasound to make sure your LO will be okay with an early induction. My doctor explained that they have to weigh the risks of keeping in the baby in longer and what complications can come from that versus delivering a few days or weeks early. She said in my case, it's best to deliver between 37-39 weeks. Yesterday they did an ultrasound to check blood flow, get some measurements (weight was estimated 6lb 9 oz, though that could very well be off in either direction), and to see if we could see the baby doing some practice breathing (which we did!). I also did a non-stress test. We'll do all of this again at my 38 week appointment too. I would ask your doctor what they look for to make sure your baby is ready, though it sounds like she's just preparing you for what's to come. 

I had really hoped that I would be able to go into labor on my own and to have a med-free birth, but this is out of my control now. I'm nearly 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced with the head low, so I hope that helps to make the induction a little easier on me. I'm going to do my best to avoid pain medication, but I have no idea how I'll respond to the drugs that will kickstart labor so I'll just go with the flow.
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Only 31 werks here BUT.... my first came on his own at 35w4d and was 7#9 and perfect... he was just in a hurry to be here.
    My twins came at 35w1d and were 5#6 and 4#13 and perfect as well.
    My last baby I thought was 37 weeks but doc told me last week he was actually 36w4d and was 7# and luckily again.... perfect!
    I had hoped to make it to 38 weeks this pregnancy but my doc laughed and told me not to get my heart set on it.... ha ha. So for now I'm hoping for 6 more weeks and will keep pushing day by day to get past that... ha!