March 2016 Moms

I want my body back :(

just looking for a little advice, guidance, support or to hear from any of you with similar feelings or experiences. 
I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I want my body back ! 
The short version of my story is that at 28 weeks pregnant, I had to have some pretty major abdominal surgery resulting from internal scar tissue causing problems with my bowels and stomach after baby had moved around, grown and stretched it to its limit. I spent over a month in the hospital just on saline so lost quite a large amount of weight which was a constant worry about how our baby was doing on such a lack of nutrition.  I'm now waiting for this scar to heal and every time baby camps out on it, it's the most awful feeling and makes me feel ill. 
I can start to see where the scar is stretching due to the baby growing and although I'm so amazingly grateful for my amazing baby and that she is healthy... I'm totally ready to let my body heal how it needs to.  This wasn't the experience I had hoped for (first pregnancy) and the impending delivery with this huge incision is really starting to make me panic... Majorly panic. My staples just came out so that was one major relief... I'm just in panic mode, I'm out of breath and feel like I've lost total control of my body and admittedly I'm not fully embracing the "scars and stretch marks are something to be proud about" mentality (YET !) I feel like my body has totally failed me.  

Re: I want my body back :(

• I'm sorry, it sounds incredibly stressful and overwhelming. Do you have a therapist or support you can talk to? It's normal to feel like your body's been taken over and your situation is an extreme example of it, it can be really really difficult to reconcile your body and self with your physical "role" as a mother. I hope you can talk it through with a professional and get some guidance. All the best! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All I can say is that my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Hang in there, only a few more weeks, and you'll have your beautiful baby in your arms.  Is there anything that the docs can suggest for the incision scar?  Vitamin E?     Keep being the tough cookie that it sounds like you already are!!  Best of luck to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have an OB appointment Wednesday and I'm actually going to ask if there is some kind of support that they offer as far as just reassuring me about this whole situation... I do know that a new baby arriving will make me feel like all of my worries and hang ups were totally irrational but at the minute there's so many what ifs and the occasional hours of "why me"..that totally suck. 
  • I'm so sorry you are going through all the extra difficulties with your pregnancy.  Honestly pregnancy, specifically the last month or so, is so physically and emotionally challenging in 'normal' pregnancies I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for you. How is your baby's growth?  Have your Drs talked induction at all?  It almost seems like the baby should come out as soon as it's safe in order to allow your body to start really healing.  Your health is important too.  Will you be having a c section?  I can't imagine pushing with a fresh incision like that.  Thoughts and prayers for you and baby and don't be afraid to be your own advocate, you've done a great job getting baby this far. 
  • I made my "high risk" Obs promise that they wouldn't make me have a c-section unless its an emergency. At the moment they are letting baby grow and just waiting to see if there's any weight gain.. I'm measuring majorly behind after losing about 27lbs but she's moving a lot ( good but uncomfortable ! ) and her heartbeat is great too so we are just waiting! They said when I went 3 days ago that they were surprised that she was still there and hadn't already made an entrance to the world.. So that in itself is a miracle that I need to be grateful for and remember. 
    As far as delivery goes, I'm just hoping that I'm physically strong enough to push... My abdomen is weak and that muscle is not healed yet properly so it's anyone's guess - the doctors don't really know as they've never had this situation before. Thank you for the positivity ladies - I had dessert for dinner... It was a good pick me up :) 
  • I am sorry you are going through this. I am glad you and your little one are okay, though. *hugs*
  • Oh my goodness. First, I'm so glad that you and your baby are ok! I can't imagine how hard this is. It's VERY normal to have feelings about wanting your body back in a 'normal' pregnancy I think you are more than justified and as others have mentioned, from a health perspective it is very important that you allow yourself the time to heal and recuperate normally as well! Will be thinking about you and your little one and sending you both positive thoughts for a smooth entry into the world for her. 
  • i don't have answers for you, but to just wanted to let you know you're not alone! 4 years later, I still want my body back! Ive never been able to claim being proud of my scars and flappy, stretched out skin.  I've been more bummed about it this month because labor is getting near and I know I'm going to have to face the body self-consciousness again on top of losing the extra weight I've gained.  Obviously your situation is more severe, but I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one with these kinds of emotions running through your head!

Anniversary

• Im so sorry you are going through this, i think pregnancy can be tough enough sometimes without having other things complicate it. I had a laporoscopy 3 months before i got pregnant amd my skin stretching has caused the scars to get very red and angry looking again. Also stretching them and making them longer. Then two nights ago my husband found my first lot of stretch marks (underside of my belly and at 36 weeks i cant see there any more) i couldnt help it i just started bawling my eyes out. I hope i will be okay with them one day, but i just wanted to be another woman on here to let you know that you are not alone, and its okay to not be alright with what is happening to our bodies! I feel so blessed to be bringing our LO into this world, but i have struggled with the body changes since i was about 12 weeks along. 
  • Hugs lady. That's a serious incision.

I had staples with my last c-section.  I actually ripped a couple out from laughing afterwards. Funny but not funny.  Anyway, I think our bodies can be more resilient that we think sometimes. I definitely have a lovely scar from it, but it's not anything that bothers me. It's so easy to forget it's even there. And it's amazing the healthcare we even have access to these days. A lot of us would just be dead if we had be born a  100 years ago.  I'll take my scar and be happy to grow old with my son and with it. 
  • amyidamyid member
    edited February 2016
    I can't even imagine busting staples @diablesse
    taking them out 2 wks later than usual was something I wouldn't wish on anyone ! 
    Thanks everyone for the kind words - I actually had a random conversation today with a lady who had her appendix out 3 days before she gave birth... This was over 60 years ago and all I could think was that it must have been awfully painful for her and that we are lucky to be living with the medical technology that we have these days. Baby is really pushing on this scar today and it is getting even more red and angry by the day ! I think she knows I'm talking trash on her too because she's just started giving me a good old kick ! We are all in the final stretch now (literally :/ ).. Good luck to you all...stretch marks, jelly bellies and all :smile: 
  • Uhhhh.  Yeaaaah you are one tough cookie. That is a serious incision. I think it  is normal for someone with no complications to feel overwhelmed by baby at this point and you have been through the ringer!. All I can say is hang in there it will be over soon. And after my first even with my C-section I missed the little kicks.