March 2016 Moms
Options

Tips for moms that are new to two

So moms of two or more children please share your tips and tricks or any advice for all of us moms that are going from one to two that would make the transition easier?  

I have a few specific questions:

Do your children share a room? 

Were you really able to coordinate naps?

How did you prepare big brother or big sister for baby?

Re: Tips for moms that are new to two

• Options
    Thank you that all sounds like great advice :) I will have two boys also 2 years apart 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine do not share a room, but my youngest two will share a room once this baby is born, which should be interesting! At least the baby will be in our room for awhile. 

Ditto to not feeling bad about TV for a bit. I don't think I used it enough when my second was born and we had some rough moments for sure. It won't be forever, but while everyone adjusts it can be a lifesaver. 

Ditto to baby wearing! Another lifesaver. 

I was able to coordinate naps pretty quickly because it was a priority. I would put my older one down, nurse the baby and then put her down right after. For her naps, I tried to make sure she got one good nap at home a day, at the same time as her big brother. We were flexible with all other naps and if they happened on the go, so be it. I plan to try to do the same this time, even though my oldest no longer naps :(

The other advice I would have would be to prep or have ready some activities your toddler can do either on his own or while sitting next to you while you either feed the baby or just hold the baby. Sticker books, coloring books, little felt activities, puff ball activities, puzzles, books to read, magnet toys, etc will all work. Hit up Pinterest and/or the dollar store or dollar section at target and have a basket (or several) that you can just pull out when you need to. I actually need to follow this advice and prep this as well! 

Honestly, the transition to two is hard, but a newborn (unless colicky) seems pretty easy the second time around and compared to a toddler. I was able to enjoy the newborn and baby stage of my second so much more than I did with my first because the first is such a giant transition and is so terrifying! So just enjoy the baby snuggles and try not to sweat the small stuff!

• Options
    Thank you that all sounds like great advice :) I will have two boys also 2 years apart 
    Fun! Mine are 2 years apart and they are now 4 and 6. They are absolutely best friends and it has been such a blessing for them to have each other. I can't imagine it any other way. They get into some mischief, but there is nothing like seeing that bond develop between brothers. You have a fun road ahead :) Now we have boy #3 on the way!

I agree with pper about the newborn seeming easier the second time. For me the transition to having a baby the first time was much harder. Once #2 comes around you kind of are used to dealing with things not being perfect and craziness is a little easier to handle somehow! Even though it can be absolutely insane, somehow you cope and see the joy in it all.